Hawaii Swim
69F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 59h 26m
Overall Rank = 16/
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Set Transition, stood around, and waited in line for the porta potties.
Event warmup:

Jogged around the park and then swam some warm up on the course.
Swim
  • 07m 55s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

Decent swim this year. The reef wasn't in your face as much this time around. Surf was a little noticeable with some current too. They could really use one more marker on the way back to help keep people off of the reef. Ran into a little bit of traffic at the turns and had some small problems with sighting due to the waves. The run up the beach after the swim exit always wears people out a little more too.
What would you do differently?:

Need to pull harder and pick up the pace more.
Transition 1
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Dropped my goggles exiting the water. Ran the beach into T1 just fine; it took a little longer due to the sand and stickers when I put my socks on. Ran to the mount point and did my usual flying mount. This time my shorts caught on the back of my seat, but I still landed on it. Certain body parts were in the way and I waited for the pain to come. It seemed like an eternity but it wasn't bad. Whew! Slipped into the shoes and got up to speed then strapped them on and rode my butt off.

I am going to get new shorts next year. The ones that I have now replaced the ones that were destroyed a while back during a nasty bike crash.
Bike
  • 29m 48s
  • 10 miles
  • 20.13 mile/hr
Comments:

If I can ever get better on the bike I will be pretty happy. I need to train differently and probably more too.

This probably was my last race on this bike anyway. Next bike will be at least a 10 speed. When I bought the one I have I had no idea what I was doing. So I ended up with a 9 speed road bike that I have added stuff to and made it worse. Oh well, you live and learn.
Transition 2
  • 00m 37s
Comments:

My T2 has been pretty darn good lately. I am happy with it. I am glad I didn't run into the guy in front of me that wiped out at the dismount.

Nothing
Run
  • 20m 4s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Pretty happy with this run. I still need to get this under 20 consistently. I had a guy tracking me down near the end so I picked up the pace and he stayed with me, so I picked it up some more to see if he would stay. He did. So I backed off and let him pass so I could jump in behind him and run his pace until the finish. About 2-300 meters from the finish I switched to finish mode and raced by and didn't look back. I kept ahead long enough to finish in front. He was a great gentlemen too. We congratulated each other after the finish. Thanks for the boost.

A few times I think I drifted off and slowed a little. I had a large break between runners and that prevented me from having a target to catch. I always run better when I'm chasing someone.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked and stretched out for a bit. Ate some of the great post race refreshments.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

70% Genetics and 30% training.

Event comments:

The location is not the greatest for the swim, but it is nice to get a race out of town. The bike and run course is pretty decent too. Although the road is getting rougher.

Last updated: 2010-05-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:55 | 400 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 23/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:01
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:29:48 | 10 miles | 20.13 mile/hr
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:04 | 03.1 miles | 06m 28s  min/mile
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-30 8:32 PM

User image

Ft Bragg, North Carolina
Subject: North Shore Triathlon

2010-05-30 11:52 PM
in reply to: #2891446

User image

Subject: RE: North Shore Triathlon

Nice race.

2010-05-31 11:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Damn Shawn! That's almost 8 minutes better than last year! I am so glad you're not in my age group I decided to skip this race because I have Honu next weekend and I didn't want to get scraped up on the reef again. We came out to cheer some people on but got a late start so we missed the swim, sorry I missed you. Start doing Pineapple/Snake road loops every weekend and you will see a drastic improvement on the bike.
2010-05-31 12:55 PM

User image

Ft Bragg, North Carolina
Thanks for the feedback guys. It's been a pleasure. I can hopefully pick up were I left off next year when I get back. Good luck to all of you in this year's races.
2010-06-01 1:37 AM

Where did you get the results? I've been looking online and can't find them anywhere. Please PM me if they are available.
Thanks,
RH
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » North Shore Triathlon Rss Feed