BolderBOULDER
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 42m 3s
Overall Rank = 956/50000
Age Group = 30-39 male
Age Group Rank = 25/490
Pre-race routine:

Woke up late (5:30AM), went to bed too late (12:00AM) the ankle felt sore right out of bed too. I did "the business' with the wife the night before and I don't normally do that the night before a race... but I didn't want to leave the misses hanging :) Anyway... I'm sure that's too much info by the way - sorry.

I was really hot that night as well and woke up several times through out the evening and was sweaty and dehydrated in the morning too. Many things were working against me this race morning. My quads still were sore too from doing the Treadmioll Test to qualify for wave AA. This was gonna be a tough race for sure!

Had some Cheerios with stawberries and a cup of coffee and was on my way to Boulder by 6 AM. Hit traffic on the way down and my wave started at 7:01AM! Almost didn't make it in time!!!
Event warmup:

Parked at the 29th street mall and ran 1.10 miles to the starting line! Looked for Mark Dillard, couldn't spot him, and then spotted my buddy Kevin and my friend Molly Smith from the Rocky Mountain Tri Club. Gave some fist bumps and the the gun went off!
Run
  • 42m 3s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Well I shot off great and felt good and comfortable.. then I finally saw Dills - we chatted for a minute and ran together for a few and then we hit the 1st hill and I said see ya later Mark! He kept on pace and my ankle was getting sore.. :(

After that my buddy Kevin slapped my ass and then passed me for the 1st time ever since 1993! He has never been faster than me, and that's when I knew I was introuble! I tried to hang with him but I just didn't have it... I felt heavy and my legs and ankle were getting even more sore!

I wanted a sub 40 min 10K this year but I realized at this point that this was not going to happen... my confidence had been defeated and the one guy I wanted to pace with was long gone, (Dills)! Mark ended up with the exact time I wanted 39:24! Great job Dills!

I went into survival mode and just wanted to protect my ankle and try to have a good time. I settled into a 7 min pace and regained some strength and then Molly from the Triclub helped pace me out the last mile to the finishline! (Thanks Moly!)

Over all I AM HAPPY that I was able to finish but bummed that Kevin beat my PR bu 4 seconds from last year with his 41:23! Great job Kevin!

Now I just have to work on getting back on track with my IRONMAN training and lose some pounds. Plus I need some ankle strengthening excersises...

Here's the splits -

mile 1:00:06:04.33
mile 2:00:06:39.50
mile 3:00:07:04.98
mile 4:00:07:05.44
mile 5:00:06:51.54
mile 6:00:06:52.26

net time:00:42:03.09
avg pace:06:46 per mile
What would you do differently?:

Things I would you do differently are - Not sprain my ankle 10 days before the race, not do "the business" with the misses at 11:30 pm the night before a race, not do a 2 mile treadmill test 2 days before the race at a 6:09 per mile pace with out doing any training 8 days prior, not sleep only 5 hours the day before, and not wake up late so I had to run a mile to get to the starting line on time!
Post race
Warm down:

Chastted with Kevin and his dad for about 10 minutes and then ran 1.05 miles back to the car...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Spraining my ankle 10 days before the race, being dehydrated, doing "the business" with the misses at 11:30 pm the night before a race, doing a 2 mile treadmill test 2 days before the race at a 6:09 per mile pace with out doing any training 8 days prior, sleeping only 5 hours the day before, and waking up late so I had to run a mile to get to the starting line on time!

Event comments:

What can I say? The Bolder Boulder Rocks as usual! :)

Last updated: 2010-05-31 12:00 AM
Running
00:42:03 | 06.21 miles | 06m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/490
Overall: 956/50000
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2