On The Run
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 57m 21s
Overall Rank = 1/260
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/9
Pre-race routine:

Woke up too early, 30 minutes before my alarm, and since the race is only 30 minutes away from my house... I wasn't really rushed in the morning. Ended up being one of the first racers there as I didn't want to just sit at the house.
Event warmup:

got in a 2 mile warm up run and a 500-600 swim. Calf was bugging me for whatever reason and I couldn't loosen it up.
Swim
  • 03m 49s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well technically it's a 320 yard swim since you end up on the other end of the pool. ;P I was seeded as number 2 swimmer with my est time of 3:30. I caught the #1 guy before half way into the swim... I wasn't even swimming all that hard! I just kept it at a steady pace, stayed comfortable. I can't see a real reason to push a 300yd swim, just not worth it. However, since I caught the #1 guy and #3 also didn't seed him self correctly, it made it look like I had a really good swim. So after the race I kept getting, Good swim man! You killed it! I'm sitting there thinking, uh not really! :)
Transition 1
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

Finally a transition this year that I didn't screw up! Bout time! geez...
What would you do differently?:

nada
Bike
  • 34m 23s
  • 15 miles
  • 26.18 mile/hr
Comments:

My friend Kevin and my main competition in the race was #4 swimmer, so 20s behind me. I thought he may catch up on the swim a bit and come out of t1 close to me and we could play(this was the plan, but he was supposed to be right behind me). However I took a look back at mile 2 and he was further back than I expected. I didn't want to give up the gap, so I just hammered it the best I could out front by my self. Ended up working pretty well. No computer on my bike, but by gears I was probably doing 24-25 into the wind and 27-28 with. Felt good.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

missed the split, got included into the run split. Something like 40s? Messed up with my shoe and had to take it off and put it back on.
Run
  • 17m 40s
  • 3 miles
  • 05m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Got a side stitch pretty quickly into the run, ran through it the first mile with a 5:33 mile. After that it was getting worse and I had to slow to shake it out.. 2nd mile was around 6:20 but then I was able to pick it back up again once the stitch was gone. So not a great run, but I also had a decent lead at this point and extended it a bit more. Ended up beating Kevin by just over a minute.
What would you do differently?:

Drink less on the bike so I don't have to slow 40s in the 2nd mile to get rid of a side stitch..
Post race
Warm down:

2 mile jog.

Last updated: 2010-03-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:03:49 | 300 yards | 01m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 3/260
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Pool swim
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:39
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:34:23 | 15 miles | 26.18 mile/hr
Overall: 1/260
Wind: Little
Course: Loop on the I45 feeder
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:17:40 | 03 miles | 05m 53s  min/mile
Overall: 1/260
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-05-31 7:34 AM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Subject: Combat Sprint Triathlon

2010-05-31 4:35 PM
in reply to: #2891792

User image

Expert
Texas (Houston area)
Subject: RE: Combat Sprint Triathlon
Seriously?! Not pushing? Ok, we get it. You are fast. You are the kind of racer that makes the real beginners (like me) feel like crap when we double your swim pace, are slower on the bike with the wind than you are against it and can only dream of 1 sub-6 minute mile let alone 3 of them together after swimming and biking. You were crazy fast compared to most of the folks out there.  That may sound like critisism, but it isn't. It is really just jealousy and motivation for me to try to get faster than I am.
Excellent race, Stephen...on second though, not really!  Wink

And thanks again for the cycling tips you shared. I might actually be able to barely hang on to the break-away group on the paperclip at some point in the near future.
2010-06-01 11:36 AM
in reply to: #2892422

User image

Master
Houston, TX
RacerRik - 2010-05-31 4:35 PM

Seriously?! Not pushing? Ok, we get it. You are fast. You are the kind of racer that makes the real beginners (like me) feel like crap when we double your swim pace, are slower on the bike with the wind than you are against it and can only dream of 1 sub-6 minute mile let alone 3 of them together after swimming and biking. You were crazy fast compared to most of the folks out there.  That may sound like critisism, but it isn't. It is really just jealousy and motivation for me to try to get faster than I am.
Excellent race, Stephen...on second though, not really!  Wink

And thanks again for the cycling tips you shared. I might actually be able to barely hang on to the break-away group on the paperclip at some point in the near future.

haha... Hey, I pushed pretty hard in the race... just not in so much in the swim!

See you out at the paperclip!
2010-06-03 6:28 PM

Okay Stephen, this is the prime example of why triathletes get the "bad wrap" of being a little too "self focused."  
Race reports are really important in this sport, as other sports as well, as it gives fellow athletes an insight into a race from the eyes of a true competitor.  They allow athletes to hear the mind of someone who competes on a higher level than they might be at this point in time.  Yes, race reports are suppose to be about ourselves and about what we did to accomplish our goals, not to point out that, yeah, you won, and it was a cake walk.  You are a very strong athlete and you have the accalades to prove your dedication and hard work that you have sacrifice to this multi-sport discipline.  People look up to you and you need to hear their praise and not quickly disregaurd.  Maybe it was not your best swim, bike, or run, but to other people, you looked strong and they wanted you to be recognized. Humble goes a long way as well as appreciation to your fellow fans for being there for you.
Remeber, this is a sprint, beginner race as well. You blogged on begginer triathelte.com as though you had competed in a race that was considered more point oriented. 
Don't make others feel inferior for their efforts; as I know and I was there and saw racer #1.  He was  not your stereo-typical physique of a triathelte, however, he finished that race, and produced quality results.  
Good Luck in your future races and have a safe and good year!  Congratulations on your win.
2010-06-03 6:46 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-06-04 4:36 PM
in reply to: #2899941

Master
Houston, TX
mandyheintz - 2010-06-03 6:28 PM

Okay Stephen, this is the prime example of why triathletes get the "bad wrap" of being a little too "self focused."  
Race reports are really important in this sport, as other sports as well, as it gives fellow athletes an insight into a race from the eyes of a true competitor.  They allow athletes to hear the mind of someone who competes on a higher level than they might be at this point in time.  Yes, race reports are suppose to be about ourselves and about what we did to accomplish our goals, not to point out that, yeah, you won, and it was a cake walk.  You are a very strong athlete and you have the accalades to prove your dedication and hard work that you have sacrifice to this multi-sport discipline.  People look up to you and you need to hear their praise and not quickly disregaurd.  Maybe it was not your best swim, bike, or run, but to other people, you looked strong and they wanted you to be recognized. Humble goes a long way as well as appreciation to your fellow fans for being there for you.
Remeber, this is a sprint, beginner race as well. You blogged on begginer triathelte.com as though you had competed in a race that was considered more point oriented. 
Don't make others feel inferior for their efforts; as I know and I was there and saw racer #1.  He was  not your stereo-typical physique of a triathelte, however, he finished that race, and produced quality results.  
Good Luck in your future races and have a safe and good year!  Congratulations on your win.

Snap!

You don't get a side stitch in a race if it's a cake walk, and Kevin was close enough to pressure me for most of the race. I was glancing back much more than I like to. The #1 racer was a good guy, I talked to him for quite a while at the race, that doesn't really excuse him from miss seeding him self... sorry. He, as a ex college swimmer, should of known better.

Trust me I take note of when people congratulate me, listening to them and love talking to people at races. It's why I like small local races so much more than big production races.

2010-06-06 12:47 AM
in reply to: #2899941

Expert
Texas (Houston area)
mandyheintz - 2010-06-03 6:28 PM Okay Stephen, this is the prime example of why triathletes get the "bad wrap" of being a little too "self focused."  

What a first post!!  The race report said, "I'm sitting there thinking, uh not really! :)"  As far as I can tell nothing dismissive was said in response to the compliments. I have heard some elitist comments from fast guys at a race that really put me off, but chatting with him after the paperclip ride I don't get that impression.
Stephen, I actually did hear what you said the other day and did some intervals, I think, in my last swim workout.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Combat Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed