General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training East Grandby/Windsor Locks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-31 8:22 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: Training East Grandby/Windsor Locks
I'll be traveling to CT staying in Windsor Locks by the airport and working in East Granby.  The hotel has a postage stamp sized pool, not even long enough for two complete strokes.  Where I'm working backs up to a great bike path.  I'm wondering where I might be able to swim and/or rent a bike.  Another alternative might be a health club that has decent exercise bikes.

Any help would be appreciated.

2010-06-03 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2891829

User image

Expert
Avon, CT
Subject: RE: Training East Grandby/Windsor Locks
That bike path goes by a YMCA in Granby (opposite side of the road) which has a pool. The only bike shop I can think of over that way is Granby Bicycle a little further down that same road. Don't know if he rents bikes.
2010-06-05 5:48 PM

Chicago
The YMCA in Granby is nice, only a couple of years old.

The Bicycle Cellar rents bikes www.bicyclecellar.com, I have no idea what the quality/quantity of the bikes are but they rent both road and trail.  The Bicycle Cellar is in Simsbury which is the next town south of Granby.  Just follow Rte 10 south (same road the YMCA is on), the bike shop is on the left adjacent to the bike path.

Shawn
2010-06-11 5:42 AM
in reply to: #2902816

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
I'll check out the Y on my next trip.
2010-06-11 9:11 AM
in reply to: #2914992

User image

Regular
Fort Bragg, NC
I don't live far from Granby or Windsor Locks...I bike through there pretty often. I'm a big fan of our gym, Healthtrax, at 3 Weymouth in Enfield, CT. They have pretty decent spinning bikes and the have free spinning classes for members (can be fun), and their pool is good. I think it's too warm (80), but that's what you get, I guess. It's not a standard size...I've been trying to figure out exactly how long it is, but no one seems to really know. I just adjust my intervals based on the number of strokes I get in per lap. If it helps, this pool takes me about 12-14 strokes to get across, whereas a 25-meter pool would take me 18-20ish.

I'm not sure how a short-term membership would work for them. It's pretty pricy for me (we pay $36 a month), but for what you get, I love it. There is a really, really tiny indoor track, too. Good luck!
2010-06-14 4:55 PM
in reply to: #2915399

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
eklung05 - 2010-06-11 10:11 AM I don't live far from Granby or Windsor Locks...I bike through there pretty often. I'm a big fan of our gym, Healthtrax, at 3 Weymouth in Enfield, CT. They have pretty decent spinning bikes and the have free spinning classes for members (can be fun), and their pool is good. I think it's too warm (80), but that's what you get, I guess. It's not a standard size...I've been trying to figure out exactly how long it is, but no one seems to really know. I just adjust my intervals based on the number of strokes I get in per lap. If it helps, this pool takes me about 12-14 strokes to get across, whereas a 25-meter pool would take me 18-20ish.

I'm not sure how a short-term membership would work for them. It's pretty pricy for me (we pay $36 a month), but for what you get, I love it. There is a really, really tiny indoor track, too. Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback.  I might give them a call.  I'm headed back that way next week.

2010-06-25 9:30 PM

You may be able to access one of the town pools in Windsor Locks. I usually try to swim at the high school twice per week, I think it is open from 7 p.m. to 8:30 for "open swim" but they do have some lanes in place. Cost may be $2.

At noon, they have adult lap swim at an outdoor pool in town for the same cost I think.

I'm a resident, but the cost may be slightly higher for non-residents.

Steve
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training East Grandby/Windsor Locks Rss Feed