Dripping Springs, Texas
United States
Mellow Johnny's / Livestrong
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = DNF/85
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

woke up @ 5:50am. Broke down camp, packed and loaded up truck. Had 3 cups of coffee an half a danish. Talked story with team mates and friends.
Event warmup:

Rode double track portion for start several times and up and down road to ranch ~ 5 mil total warm up milage.
Bike
  • 1h 30m
  • 12 miles
  • 8.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Bah. DNF due to rear flat. Sidewall tear on tubless tire and no spare tube or tools to patch sidewall and repair flat. This happened just before mile 2. Sucked. I felt I was doing well before the mechanical failure. Start was sort of chaotic and had more riders than I was used to dealing with. Normal XC races have about 30-40 in my AG but this race had 85. Going into the single track section at the start of the race was slow. Lots of people were stacking up and going slow down hill. Almost ran over 2 guys who washed out in front of me. I probably got too aggressive trying to pass on he down hill portions and that is were I most likely damaged my tire. Texas limestone can be sharp. There was lots to deal with on the trail. At least an early DNF left me lots of time to ride demo bikes and do a short bandit ride on the race course between the pro women's and men's races.
What would you do differently?:

ride tires with thicker sidewalls next year for this race. Run tubes with slime in them in stead of a tubeless set up.
Post race
Warm down:

putz around on demo bikes on 1st portion of trail. Wait for team mates to cross finish line and chear them on.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

flat tire.

Event comments:

would have been a tough race. hopefully next year I'll have better luck and not DNF

Last updated: 2010-05-05 12:00 AM
Biking
01:30:00 | 12 miles | 8.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/85
Performance: Bad
Wind:
Course: fast, rocky, super sweet single track with something for everyone.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right