Great Hyannis Road Races
70+F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 26m 7s
Overall Rank = 617/722
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 100/123
Pre-race routine:

The Tuesday before the race I twisted my knee getting up from my desk at work. How ridiculous that a movement I've done a million times pops the week before I need it to be 100%. Nurse at work thought it was a torn meniscus. Said if I really wanted to run to take Advil and wrap it. I made myself sick over the decision to run or not to run. Decided to see how it went and pull out even after 100 yds if need be. I just couldn't not try. Got up at 5:30am, had my coffee, whole wheat eng muffin with peanut butter and banana. Packed up the kids and hubby and off we went. Luckily found a great parking spot right next to the green, I took my Pepto, applied BodyGlide, and decided to take my hydration belt so I could carry my phone in case I needed to be picked up.
Event warmup:

Grabbed my number, met up with some friends and stretched a bit. Being able to chat kept my mind off my nerves.
Run
  • 2h 26m 7s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran a 10:30 min/mi pace for first 6 miles. Felt good. I took water or gatorade at every station. Had Gu at mile 6. My tummy felt a little off from it but it passed quickly. Overall I think I need to do more long runs so that I can hold a steady pace for the entire race. I was probably easily at a 12 min/mi the last 4 miles. I did run the entire race and I feel good about that.
What would you do differently?:

For the situation I was in, nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched a little, walked.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My knee and weight.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-05-03 12:00 AM
Running
02:26:07 | 13.1 miles | 11m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 101/123
Overall: 617/722
Performance: Below average
Course: Beautiful course which goes along some beaches and into some beautiful seaside communities. Great volunteers, lots of water stations with plenty of water and gatorage for even us BOPers. The last 4 miles are hillier than you realize when driving the course. Also you get no wind and it gets hot in the sun. That last 1/2 mi is long.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes