General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
Capital of TexasTriathlon
Total Time = 2h 18m 30s
Overall Rank = 39/1342
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/87
Pre-race routine:

I wasn't real sure how this race would go as my legs just haven't felt 100% recovered since IMSG. Not only that, I wasn't mentally into this race and I wasn't sure how I'd react. The main purpose of doing this race was to determine where I'm at from a recovery standpoint since IMSG.

Pre-race was just like every other race. Got up at 4:30 at toast and had some caffeine. Got to the race to set up transition and hung out with racing buddies. It was nice to see everyone at the race though as they were all happy for me and congratulated me on my Kona qualifitication.
Event warmup:

Once transition was set up I went to stretch and went for short run to get the blood flowing. They only let the Invitational wave in the water for a warmup swim so I wasn't able to warm up. I just made sure to get in the water first so I could swim quick and then wade and wait for the start.
Swim
  • 29m 30s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

Clearly this swim was long. Even if you look at the pro's the swim was long. Race officials said it ended up almost 300M long. I started out on the inside by myself and went out quick and then settled into a good pace. We caught the prior wave pretty quickly and I had to go around quite a few people. Caught the wave before that just after the turnaroun and had to zigzag around them as well. I'm sure some of the zigzagging cost me time but we were all in the same boat.
Transition 1
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

Pulled cap and goggles off and pulled wetsuit to my waste. Got to my transition and had to sit to get wetsuit off. Put on helmet and sunglasses and I was off. Shoes were clipped on bike and slipped my feet into my shoes once I got on the Congress bridge.
Bike
  • 1h 00m 58s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 24.46 mile/hr
Comments:

My legs just did not feel really good for this entire ride. This is a 4 loop course and I decided just to go at a steady pace for the first 2 laps. Pace was good although legs felt flat. I was going back and forth with a guy for the last part of the 2nd lap but my plan was to pick up the pace on the 3rd and 1/2 of 4th lap. Once we got to the 3rd lap I hit it hard and dropped the guy. I hit it hard until I had maybe 2 miles to go and just really tried to spin as much as possible while maintaning a good pace.

I've had LOTS of trouble with cramping on the run in my last 4 races no matter what race distance, so I wanted to be conscious of how my legs felt. I also changed my hydration strategy on the bike. I don't take in any calories during an Oly because I just can't absorb them and I've been sticking with just 1 water bottle on the bike and I'd maybe drink 1/3 of it.

Today, I mixed a water bottle with 1 scoop of Gatorade Endurance and put in 2 SCaps so I could get more sodium. This worked out really well. I pretty much drank the whole bottle and it definitely made a difference as I had NO cramping on the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Feet were out of my shoes on the bridge and I coasted down to dismount line and got off bike. Put on hat and shoes and started running as I was putting my race number on.
Run
  • 44m 13s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Just like the swim the run was long. They had to add an extra block onto the run course this year because of the construction. This probably added 1/2 mile to the run.

I started out not feeling very well as I just couldn't get my legs to turn over. As I was on the first out/back section I saw Jim behind me and I figured he'd catch me because of the way I was feeling. Then I remembered he was probably in the Invitational wave and started 25 minutes before me and was on his 2nd lap. I was running by people so I figured even though I wasn't feeling great my pace as ok. I figured if I could just keep a decent pace for the first lap I could try to pick it up on the 2nd loop. It was great going by the Jack and Adams station as people congratulated me on my Kona slot as I went buy. :)

I grabbed water at every aid station and drank or poured it on my head to keep cool. I'm going to have to get used to that as the heat will be the biggest issue at Kona. I was able to pace with a guy up the bridge on the 2nd loop until we got to the last turnaround where it was pretty much downhill for the last mile and I decided to tough it out and run past him.

This really wasn't a great run as I just felt like I couldn't get my legs to turn over. The run pace is deceiving because the run was long so I'm curious to know what it really was.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out and got re-hydrated and ate pizza. Talked to all the guys and just had a good time.

Event comments:

This is a fun race but I do think they charge to much for it. I think next year I'll race in the Invitational wave.

Last updated: 2010-05-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:30 | 1640 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/87
Overall: 113/1342
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:31
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:00:58 | 24.85 miles | 24.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/87
Overall: 38/1342
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:44:13 | 06.21 miles | 07m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/87
Overall: 53/1342
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-06-01 8:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2010-06-01 1:04 PM
in reply to: #2893551

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance
The swim course was 300yds too long and the run 6.61 miles so you can do the math. You had a great race (even in those conditions) and boy! that's a killer bike you did.
Congratulations on your AG win!
2010-06-01 4:53 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Great job.  I showed 6.61 on the run as well.
2010-06-01 5:44 PM

New user
San Antonio
My Garmin showed 6.62 on the run, but I hit the lap button a little shy of the mat.  Another guy with a Garmin showed 6.62 on his.

My swim was horrible.  If it was indeed 300 meters long, I feel a little better.

Congratulations to Rick on his awesome win!
2010-06-01 7:24 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Keep working on that speed, my man, it will come in handy in October.
2010-06-01 9:55 PM

User image

Expert
Austin
Nice race! very impressive bike split!

2010-06-01 9:55 PM

User image

Expert
Austin
Nice race! very impressive bike split!
2010-06-02 9:54 AM
in reply to: #2895409

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
bryancd - 2010-06-01 7:24 PM

Keep working on that speed, my man, it will come in handy in October.

Wasn't much speed to be had for this one. I figure my run pace was more like 6:40/mile based on the additional mileage. I'll take it for as flat as I felt.

I get an easy week and then I start building volume again. At least I'll be used to the heat.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed