General Discussion Triathlon Talk » anyone switch to Speedplays then switch back? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-01 11:58 AM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
Subject: anyone switch to Speedplays then switch back?
I brought up the topic of speedplay pedals to a buddy of mine while we were on a ride Saturday.  He said he used to ride them but a clipout while leading a big pull in a Cat 3 race changed his mind.  Turns out no one appreciated him taking down half the peloton.  He went back to Look style that week saying he thought it was the safer choice for rides where you have to sprint or hammer yer heinie off.

So he gave me a pair of his old pedals and I have to hit the LBS to find the right cleat and adapter for my 3-hole shoes.  Before i get started with these things what should I look out for?   For those that didn't stick with speedplays what was it that turned you off?

Edited by Spleen 2010-06-01 12:04 PM

2010-06-01 12:57 PM
in reply to: #2894159

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: anyone switch to Speedplays then switch back?
I've been using them for years and don't plan to change.

His story makes sense though.

You have to rotate your feet pretty far to clip out of them, but there is no real resistance.

In the situation where one is throwing your bike back and forth going all out into a mass sprint for the finish, I can see someone accidentally unclipping and crashing.

So, if you're planning mass sprints for the finish, perhaps something else is a better choice.

2010-06-01 1:11 PM

Regular
Artesia, NM
I just mounted mine Saturday, they are stiff to get into at first, but definitely positive engagement, and they make a loud pop when you get out of them. I like the adjustable set screws for the float. The cleats are model specific, so they have a few styles. I have the Zero.

I wanted something with a little more float than Shimano style, my riding buddies tell me i ride with my knees way out, but i dont have knee pain, plus the dual sided entry is an attractive feature as well. Ill post a review in a few months.
2010-06-01 1:22 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

I'll start by saying, I don't ride speedplays.  I like my shimanos and will stick with them.  But, as for your friend...  There are several pro teams using speedplays.  My guess is that the incident was caused more by user error/set-up or adjustment.  If there was a risk, they would be banned by pro racing.

2010-06-01 2:37 PM
in reply to: #2894440

User image

Expert
velocomp - 2010-06-01 11:22 AM

I'll start by saying, I don't ride speedplays.  I like my shimanos and will stick with them.  But, as for your friend...  There are several pro teams using speedplays.  My guess is that the incident was caused more by user error/set-up or adjustment.  If there was a risk, they would be banned by pro racing.

Totally. you see people pop out every style pedal now and then. I run Speedplay's for road and tri's, Crankbother for MTB, Fixie and Cyclocross. Have not popped out of either brand.
2010-06-01 7:34 PM

User image

Expert
Fountain Hills, AZ
I don't ride them but I know a lot of guys who do, and love them. They are especially good for tri racing ... not a lot of lung-busting, hammer-leg sprints in triathlon, and the two sided entry is a plus for tranisitions. And can't you tighten the engagement mechanism? They are light, but not as light as they say because the pedal is light but the cleat is heavy. Total system weight is comparable. I tried SP and Shimano and just ended up liking Shimano Road SPD a little better.

He hooked you up ... be sure to drop him off a case of good beer.

2010-06-02 5:30 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
I'm a Speedplay convert, and race (roadie) quite a bit on them. I've never experienced any of the issues your friend describes, nor know of anyone who suffered his fate while using Speedplays. You have just as much a chance popping out of any pedal if either 1.) you didn't set them up correctly or 2.) your pedaling form goes to crap during high effort periods and you end up throwing your feet around like wet noodles. Biggest issue I see w/ Speedplays during setup are either over- or under-tightening the cleat mount screws. Doing this can prevent the clip spring that interfaces w/ the pedal from working correctly, resulting in difficulty clipping in or out. If you mount and find them too hard to clip in or out, back off the tension of the 4 mount screws. The other issue is maintenance. You need to periodically clean and lube the cleat and the pedal. Otherwise, gunk and other junk can potentially build up on the clip spring or pedal interface. This may not allow the spring to fully engage in the pedal, which could result in your foot disengaging.

They're great pedals, but like all things mechanical on a bike, you need to take care of them.

Edited by cooutdoors 2010-06-02 5:31 PM
2010-06-02 6:03 PM
in reply to: #2897520

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Also, they weren't the light action were they?  Those are designed to be easier to clip out of.
2010-06-03 10:53 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Haven't switched BACK. 

The "Zero" pedals have adjustible float, all the way down to zero. 

The "Light Action" and "X-Series" aren't adjustible (to my understanding), so you get a lot of float. 

The three different pedal/cleats are not interchangeable. 

I don't recall my zero's having anything like a tension adjustment (like I have on my SPD's). 
2010-06-03 2:11 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
I had Speedplay Zeros mounted onto my new Cannondale, a few weeks back.  Unfortunately, I never got the bike home with them.  While still in the shop, I was testing out the new pedals and I just could not get the hang of 'em.  I'm coming off of using Time RXS Carbon pedals for the last 2 years, and for the life of me...I could NOT clip into those Speedplays AT ALL...even with all of my weight bearing down on them!  And I'm certainly no lightweight, either (150's).  After countless attempts of trying to get the 'clipping in' action, down with not much success...I simply gave up on them.  Had the LBS remove them and I found something else.  Ended up going with the Shimano Ultegra PD-670...essentially the same pedal as the Ultegra 6700, except they are a glossy black.  I am much happier now and much more confident knowing that I can clip into the Shimano's a lot easier than I could the Speedplays.   The main thing I will miss with not keeping the Speedplays is having the double-sided option.  But since my Time pedals were single-sided and so are the Shimano's...it was just easier for me to stick with something "familiar". 

That being said...everyone is different.  My husband LOVES his Speedplay Light Action pedals and wouldn't trade them for anything else.   
2010-06-16 9:58 PM

User image

My first pair of clipless were Speedplay X5's. They seemed to have too much float, and also with that much float it was harder to clip out of. I just changed to the new LOOK Keo Max 2 with 4.5* float and it seems just right. They feel better to me that the Speedplays.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » anyone switch to Speedplays then switch back? Rss Feed