Tri Tucson
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 38s
Overall Rank = 47/193
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/19
Pre-race routine:

er... lay out stuff on towel, go to bathroom, put on wetsuit? I did manage to get a good night's sleep.
Event warmup:

I did a short warmup for the swim. maybe 150 yards. Not quite enough, but better than nothing.
Swim
  • 16m 31s
  • 1094 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started in the back and took it easy. paced myself and passed a few along the way. There were 55 in my heat and I thoght I was probably in the middle of the pack. Turns out I was 7th out of 55. Neat.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Time is included in total bike time. Pretty slow. Difficulty in getting wetsuit off of heels. Sat down to put on socks, cycling shoes, watch, stash cliff blocks in back, etc- then ran the wrong way from the furthest point with the bike. Went out of the transition area, then back in, then out the gate. Where I stopped to get on the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Park closer to outlet.
Bike
  • 53m 41s
  • 15.53 miles
  • 17.36 mile/hr
Comments:

I was terribly impressed with the speed at which some of these young guys on aero bikes blew by me. they sounded like freight trains. I enjoyed the ride. As I've only had a road bike for 2 months- I still need to get in a lot of saddle time to improve this section. Concentrated on riding hard- but staying below my aerobic threshold and not blowing up.

I need another 2 or 3 years of cycling under my belt- then I'll deserve one of them fancy schmancy tri-bikes.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

This one was a bit better. Shoes went off and on quickly and ran off. put on race belt as I was running for exit, so it didn't take any additional time.

Set up closer so that I don't need to run through Transistion area in my cycling shoes. Better to run in sneakers or barefoot- without the bike.
Run
  • 22m 25s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't feel like I was running all that fast. Just trying to hold a steady, comfortable pace that I could sustain. Saved just enough for a good kick the last 1/6 mile. Fun to pass a runner 15 years my junior in the last 50 yards.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. I think I performed about as best as I could. Pacing was perfect for me.

Event comments:

The race was well organized, lots of volunteers and local support. Everything clearly marked and everything went off on time. Courses were all terrific. Some minor negatives: It did take over a day to get the results posted on line, and who knows when the race photos are ready?? Oh- the t-shirt this year sucked. plain white cotton with a dull design. Not much in the goody bags either- except some race eats and butt butter. However - I'll be there next year for sure.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-05-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:31 | 1094 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/19
Overall: 19/193
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Sonar
Course: out and back
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:53:41 | 15.53 miles | 17.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/19
Overall: 75/193
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: The course was well marked and with the exception of a small construction zone- beautifully smooth and clear the whole way. Nice medium hill climb in the middle of the ride. Cones were laid out along the route givign us a full lane and totally protecting us from cars. Police clearing every intersection so we didn't need to stop. Nicely organized.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:25 | 03.11 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/19
Overall: 43/193
Performance:
Course: Pretty flat run down neighborhood streets and a short section on a walking path. Drinks every mile with water and XOOD clearly marked in cups and the voluteers were clear about what they handed you. It was getting a bit warm, so water got poured over my head and down my back. Ahhhh.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes