barely
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 51m 49s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I just typed this whole report only to have dumb computer erase it! I will write it later - legs are sore and I M tired.

I started set up on Sun nite with ribbon placement downtown. I got caught uptalking to the Cycling officials for the Endurance Festival. After i finally got to bed around 11 - a quick 6hrs later up and at em again for bike course marking. I used lil orange flags - 200 of them to mark turns. I was hoping to get everyone on the right track. I guess we lost a few. But they did find their way back. jbougher and ajotto helped out on set up around 630am for a few corners and the run course. Thanks guys.

Then I got home to set up some house stuff and then the swim course. The red buoys worked well.

Event warmup:

My day was breakfast -Caffe Latte Perp and a PopTart. I also used PreBurn for prerace. A quick set up and course talk, wrap myself in the wetsuit and to the water we go. I think a qwuick swim warmup would have helped.
Swim
  • 07m 46s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

After describing the swim course - i just said GO

I was lined up in front and held a solid effort thoughout the swim. I wanted to stay on sgoehner's feet as long as possible. It did not last long, but was able to stick it out. He was weaving a bit side to side. I was passed by ajotto - who has not been logging his swim workouts - obviously - as he blew past us all. As we hit the turn around, it was a bit congested.

After the turn i heard this thundering noise - irunfit/Lisa was trying to swim over me. We had a nice lead pack on the swim. Good solid pace, I just felt like sludge through the water but at a 1:33100 that is not too shabby. I swam in as far as I could to shore.
What would you do differently?:

I think I need some more speed work on longer sets.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

Two parts - one at beach to run up into bike - went well but had a few glitches that were quickly resolved- except my watch accidentally stoppped and did not track time well - so going with last years time for T1.

I did not get stuck in the wetsuit, just problems mentally getting switched into gear.

It was good this was a practice race - i can mentally focus for EL
Bike
  • 1h 00m 22s
  • 21.5 miles
  • 21.37 mile/hr
Comments:

When I got to T1 for the bike - I saw Scott rolling out on to the road. He had a slight lead on me. I wanted to reel him in because I knew I would not be able to hold him off on the run to long.

So I had to pause at the exit on to the road and worked my way past the Osthoff before I pushed it through town. I saw him at the corner turning left when I turned onto lake street. So I pushed up to the stop sign, CLEAR, and go! I put together a solid effort rolling out. I did catch Dave and Scott within the first 3 miles. After that, my goal was to hold steady going out into the wind. I did not want to blow up. At the BigC turnaround I was having a Solid Ride - 1st 9.2 miles to turnaround - 20.6 mph going North and did not really feel the wind until the last 3 miles in that direction.

Coming South i noticed I was about a minute ahead of Scott and Dave D, and maybe 2-3 minutes ahead of DJdavey. At this point I knew I needed to up the ante. So I pushed a bit more coing home with the wind. it was great to see everyone - well almost. Some people were off track a little. I did have to stop at one intersection for a car and I saw Jeanne - who was on the side of the road - i thought she crashed or had a problem - Nope, just a quick stop to flag down joe and Lara.

So i kept up my steady effort into town and then rolled to the loop knowing I needed some legs for the hill. I was a bit more conservative leading into the hill. I had not seen anyone for a while behind me. I finally hit hammann hill and with my 11-23 cassette, worked up that hill. I could feel the effort I put into the ride to this point when I crested. I also peeked down the hill to see Scott at the bottom. I knew I neededsome time between us. SO I worked it home on the straight away - when I should have spun out the legs a bit more

In the end the return 12.3 miles @ 22.14 mph is not shabby.

Pace out the ride a bit bettter - maybe a stronger effort on the way out and save some at the end for the run.
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Could have gained a few seconds but was trying to wait for sister who was trying to shoe up. I kept saying I M ready but she was about 10 sec to slow. I wanted to hld my spot as long as I could.

Skip some things and not wait for anything - I am just not mentally set for Transitions this year
Run
  • 39m 43s
  • 4.6 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

one Word - OUCH!

I came out feeling pretty good and having about a 2 minutes plus lead on Scott and about 3 on Davey. This is just not enough to hold onto 1st OA. But it was solid effort. I just had too much quad failure in the end. I had to walk up some hill areas in the middle 3 miles. My splits were
8:24
8:51
8:53
8:43
8:13 (0.6 miles)

Scott caught me by the lil Carrot Turnaround (1.5 miles) and Davey caught me just after that about mile 2. I tried to keep up pace, but had to walk those 3 times to make it up hills my legs could not push - much to the dismay of Lisa. But I just did not have any left. Overall, great to see everyone out there. Great Day and Great Weather.

Hopefully make a bigger gap earlier on the bike to spin out the legs more in the last mile to have better runners in the end. But really - I think I am happy bc I wanted a sub 40 min run!~ and there she is.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around a bit and was going to hit the Recoverite - but was told Amy Noi missed a turn - so Dave D and I went out to find her - she was back on course - so we drove the loop backwards and picked up flags.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A few mental mistakes affected my performance, but all manageable.

Event comments:

I am planning on keeping this course for years to come - a great way to try to PR at this distance and measure my progress or starting point for the season.

Course Info - for future years

lil Carrot

swim www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3760010

bike www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3760017

run www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3760042

BIG Carrot

swim www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3760013

bike www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3760022

run www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3760004

Last updated: 2010-02-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:46 | 500 yards | 01m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Helix
Course: Loop de Loop - across Bay and back then sweeping home swim www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3760013
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:00:22 | 21.5 miles | 21.37 mile/hr
163 avg - 200 max
Wind: Some
Course: Out and Back BIG Carrot bike www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3760022
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:39:43 | 04.6 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
160 avg - 169 MAX
Course: run www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3760004
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-06-01 8:48 PM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Subject: DonkeyMan

2010-06-01 9:52 PM
in reply to: #2895581

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Subject: RE: DonkeyMan

i'll finish this soon i hope

2010-06-02 9:29 PM

User image

New user
way to kill it on the bike.  You look especially evil with the mouthguard....
2010-06-03 7:34 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

Duder, as usual, you looked REALLY stong on the bike!!!!  thanks for an excellent event!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » DonkeyMan Rss Feed