General Discussion Race Reports! » City of Laguna Hills Memorial Day Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

City of Laguna Hills Memorial Day Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Laguna Hills, California
United States
Kinane Events, Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 06m 12s
Overall Rank = 592/1199
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 39/91
Pre-race routine:

Ate a banana with peanut butter and a few Honey Stinger Chews about an hour before race time. Have not done a stand along running race in a while, I forgot how nice it is to just roll out of bed and drive over without re-checking my transition bag and loading the bike on the car!
Event warmup:

Streteched a bit and looked around to find/point out the other triathletes to my sister-in-law....."look for men with shaved legs".
Run
  • 2h 06m 12s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I decided to run this race at the last minute while visiting my family in SoCal. Kinda sick that I can decide to run a half-mary the day before the race and not purposely train for it......the bizarre things that occur as part of IM training.

Did not have any specific goals for this race, other than not walk during it. PR is always on my mind but I had run the day before and didn't want to push anything too far, so I just ran as I felt.

I hit the first mile mark at 9:12, a bit fast for me but was feeling good, so I went with it. There was some downhill in the first mile so no biggie. Tons of people were passing me, after looking at the results, maybe they were all running the 5k instead of the half-mary?

For most of the run I just enjoyed the scenery and my iPod, yes it was an iPod legal race. At one point this guy started singing to himeslef out loud....f-in annoying!!! OMG, I could not get away from him!!! He was so loud he over-powered my iPod! Eventually he stopped at a porta-pottie and I was saved.

I passed a few aid stations and took water a few times, mostly just to swish in my mouth. I started to get some stomach cramps around mile 4-5 so I slowed a bit in hopes they would go away. Luckily they did. Wound up passing mile 6 in 54 minutes, I was pretty excited about my pace.

Had a bunch of Marines pass me that were running with flags, so cool! I tried to keep them in sight for most of the race, I succeeded for a few miles. Around mile 9 or so Sheri and passed eachother on the out-n-back, I was concentrating on the guy's calves who was running in front of me and almost missed seeing her. He must have been 3% bodyfat and had a perfect tan, lol.

At mile 11 I started ot feel my legs tighten, I guess the run the day before combined with the hills of the course was finally catching up to me. I told myself "no walking"! I kept pushing forward and of course the last .5 miles of the course are up-hill, not super steep but I felt like I was running in sand.

Finally made it up the hill and the crowd was there to welcome me to the finish line, yay! The bizarre thing...they were all shouting "go Ironman"! They were not shouting it just for me, but for all of the finishers. WTF!? Yes, completing a half-marathon is great, but as a triathlete and an Ironman.........running 13.1 miles is nothing compared to swimming/biking/running 140.6!

What would you do differently?:

Not run the day before the race and maybe I would have set a PR, I was only 2 minutes shy of PR!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the expo and found my brother with the kids. Wacthed Maddie and Matthew do the kids race and got to see my sister-in-law finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running the day before.

Event comments:

Very well organized race, would run this one again. Always nice to run in new places.

Last updated: 2010-05-31 12:00 AM
Running
02:06:12 | 13.1 miles | 09m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 39/91
Overall: 592/1199
Performance: Good
Course: Point to point, hilly and little shade
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-01 11:14 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Subject: City of Laguna Hills Memorial Day Half Marathon

2010-06-02 5:46 AM
in reply to: #2895775

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: City of Laguna Hills Memorial Day Half Marathon
Oh, the singing guy made yourun faster to get away from him!

Marines....yummy

Great job on the impromptu half mary!!
2010-06-02 8:20 AM

User image

Expert
Boston
Nice job Abbie!  I hope to get to the point where I can say I think I'll run a 1/2 mary tomorrow!  Awesome 
2010-06-02 11:02 AM

User image

Regular
Nashville, TN

Awesome race Abbie!  I think you earn bragging rights about your fitness when you can run a half marathon 'on a whim!'  Keep up the great work Ironman!

2010-06-03 2:06 PM
in reply to: #2896564

User image

Elite
Quebec, Canada
Ran the day before, not really trained for it. And you are just 2 minutes from a PR. 

Awesome job Abbie  
2010-06-04 8:43 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Hey nice race Abbie! Great family time as well.  I think your fitness is inspiring your family too!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » City of Laguna Hills Memorial Day Half Marathon Rss Feed