Madison Festivals, Inc.
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 45m 43s
Overall Rank = 194/2500
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 28/167
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and showered then had some PB toast and water. Rode with Cheri, AmyJo and Trixie to the race start in downtown Madison.
Event warmup:

Just jogged to the start, then back to throw my wallet in the car, then back to the start.
Run
  • 3h 45m 43s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew it was going to be a rough day when we first stepped outside at 6am and it was already humid. Not hot, just humid. By the start at 7am it was warming up. After the second mile I took off the shirt. Sweating pretty good by the halfway point, had to slow it down about 22ish because of the oppressive heat and then nearly died going up the last hill.

Whoever designed this course should be peeled and dipped in butter and served at a buffet of the poeple who do it. Really, who puts a hill at the end??? Jerkface.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I ran with a 39-year-old hottie named Amy from Niles who finished fourth in her age group, apparently. I feel bad, that I may have held her back as the third-placer finished only two minutes before her. I told her several times to take off but she said she didn't have it in her because of the heat. Anyway, good on you Amy!!! Thanks for dragging my ass along from about 20-22. I enjoyed watching you run in front of me. :)
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and found Cheri's car and off we went to the OG. I love the OG what with its Tour of Italy. Lunch was fun. They had to put us in a separate room so as not to disturb the other guests. C'mon, it was Trixie and AmyJo and NRG and I. Naughty things were said, gas was passed and I even think someone pooped a little.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The 95-100 degree heat. They did black flag the race at about 11am. Glad I got to finish. NO. 10 is OUT OF THE WAY!!!

Event comments:

It was HOT HOT HOT! And hillier than I remembered. The course support was good and the course was really nice. I'd do this one again. Hopefully the heat and humidty will stay away next time!!!

Last updated: 2010-06-03 12:00 AM
Running
03:45:43 | 26.2 miles | 08m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 28/167
Overall: 194/2500
Performance: Below average
Course: Fairly hilly course through Madison, down by the lake, around another lake, down some streets and such. Passed by some sweet-ass houses including the governor's mansion. I want to live there someday, but not be the governor of Wisconsin.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-03 1:57 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Subject: Mad City Marathon

2010-06-07 3:37 PM
in reply to: #2899373

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Mad City Marathon
nice. Always good to find a running buddy.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mad City Marathon Rss Feed