Glen Cove, New York
United States
Tri and Du It Multisport
Total Time = 1h 25m 25s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 9/37
Pre-race routine:

Drove in solo, munched on some fig newtons and a coffee. Chatted with DreamChaser, Elroy, and a couple guys from work who were doing the race.
Event warmup:

Took a dip and swam a bit to acclimate. Much warmer than expected.
Swim
  • 17m 37s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

Best swim I've ever had. Felt like I was moving well, passing all sorts of people while putting forth only a modest effort. Never had the "what the f am I doing this for?s Very comfortable, sighted well, and no zig zag.
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

I usually have a slow T1, though I was not dizzy from swimming like usual.
Bike
  • 37m 56s
  • 13 miles
  • 20.56 mile/hr
Comments:

I used to think this course was hilly. Not anymore. A few climbs, but I was flying. Two miles per hour faster than last year over the course.

For the first time in a race, I was the fast guy flying by everyone. Got passed by a few, but they were, um, well, really fast.

Lapped the two guys from work, and made sure to really turn on the jets while passing them and fading quickly in to the distance. Felt great.

Don't know why, but I felt like I was going too fast and held back a bit on the bike. I think it the odd feeling of passing people so effortlessly that got me afraid my legs were going to die. Not so, as I came off the bike feeling like a million bucks. Had I dialed it up even just a little bit, I'm sure I'd have easily done 21 mph.
What would you do differently?:

Push harder
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

I don't practice transitions, but I should.
Run
  • 26m 17s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 08m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Minute and a half faster than last year.

First two miles I was fighting a searing side stitch that kept me from being able to breathe deeply. Kept going, but not as fast as I would have liked. Started easing and got manageable at the end of mile 2. Turned on the jets and passed close to two dozen people. Finished feeling mighty fresh.

What would you do differently?:

Take in just a little less fluid at the end of the bike. I didn't need it and it caused the side stitch. Without the stitch, I'd have been able to knock a good thirty seconds per mile off my pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Chatted with Bobby, congratulated him on his AG podium finish, and checked my results. Made a nice egg sammich from the buffet they had set out, and waited for my co-workers to finish. It was a long wait. ;)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Did not push myself nearly hard enough, but it was a great race nonetheless.
Eight minutes faster than last year.

Last updated: 2010-03-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:37 | 880 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 0/37
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:56 | 13 miles | 20.56 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:17 | 03.2 miles | 08m 13s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Trail run
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-06-05 12:26 PM

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY
Subject: Ironclad Triathlon

2010-06-11 10:17 AM
in reply to: #2902502

User image

Subject: RE: Ironclad Triathlon

You made good strides over last year.  Perhaps cause you actually trained this year! 

Perhaps this Race will give you a little more confidence for other Sprint or even Olympic races.  If trained, there's no reason not to red-line the Bike the whole time, IMO.  Especially with only a 3-mile run afterwards.  Such a low risk of blowing up. 

And it's a freaking Sprint, what are you drinking so much for?  I drank 1/3 of a bottle at the very beginning of the bike and then a few sips after, and that was it. 

Very nice of you to blow by your co-workers doing their first Tri on hybrid bikes!!  Loser

Can't wait to see those statue-esque training bars when you once again reveal your Training Log to the masses.  Just remember, despite the fact triathlon is not a team event; you can't do it alone.  You need the feedback, critique, encouragement and experience of others to help you.   It's so much easier that way.  To do it all by yourself is silly and you'll never make as much progress.   

2010-06-12 9:41 AM
in reply to: #2902502

User image

Subject: RE: Ironclad Triathlon

No Man is an Island Charles!! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironclad Triathlon Rss Feed