Tri-Mom Events, LLC
76F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 15m 13s
Overall Rank = 79/436
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 15/42
Pre-race routine:

same ole - up @ 4 a.m. Whole wheat waffles, banana, coffee, water for breakfast. Did some stretching and gathered gear while waiting for the crew to pick me up. Bob/Chris picked me up around 5:20, picked up Nick and met the rest of T3 teammates at BP for a caravan to race site.
Event warmup:

This was tough as the inclimate weather was playing mind games with a lot of folks - picked up packets, got bike together, and set up transition. Was announced at 7:30 that the race would be delay due to lightning in the area - at 7:40 it was announced we were going at 8, so get the wetsuits on - lol. I am glad this wasn't my first tri...........cause that would have made me a nervous wreck!! ha
Swim
  • 13m 38s
  • 600 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

276 out of 537 including all the pro's, elite, clydes and athena's. Bottom line is I am just not a fast swimmer - lol - but I am starting to feel like I can hold my own in a mass start and then settle in. After the initial 100 yards of beatin and bangin - I got into a groove and just swam. Felt I sighted really well, was on the inside hugging the bouys on the way around - couple peeps were just holding on to the bouy and floating, so it made for a little challenge.
What would you do differently?:

Hey - shaved over 3 minutes off my swim time her last year, so I can't complain too much - would have like to been under 2:10 per/100 - but, I knew I could make up that 1.5 -> 2 minutes on the bulk of my age group on the bike.
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

ehh - could not find my cord on the suit as I came out of the water. Started walking for about 15 feet or so til I knew I had it and got the top half down. Started running into transition and ran up behind Nate - we racked next to each other, and I thought............this should be interesting - we got a chuckle - Nate had a seat and said go for it dude. Chucked the suit - little heel stuckage, no socks, slipped into shoes, on with the helmet and gone - as I am leaving, I see Glen coming up the hill into transition - he racked next to us also. This gave me a little 'juice' heading out for the bike.

Thought I was a little slower than my time indicates - think I could have taken another 10 seconds off this, but I was 1:43 in T1 last year without a wetsuit, so not going to complain.
Bike
  • 33m 53s
  • 13 miles
  • 23.02 mile/hr
Comments:

Hey - 5th in AG on the bike and 39 out of 537 pro's, elites, clydes and athena's............damn right I'll take it. My fastest bike split in any race or TT to date. I worked my arse off for that 23.0 and I'm not giving it back! I struggled once again getting clipped in, but buckled down and hammered that entire ride and didn't give a squat weather or not I had anything for the run - 2010 is not about Tri-Shark, so I pushed the chips to the middle of the table and said..........'All-In'

Not a whole lot really - I may need to adjust my cleats and I would like to have this course on a dry day, but still felt it was my best effort. Shaved 4+ minutes off last years time of 37:40 and 20.7 avg. Diff course this year, so I thinked that helped some.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

I was trying for a 1 min transition here..........so close, yet so far away. I figured I would be quick as I didn't worry bout socks due to the wet conditions and went with the Zoots all lubed up. I was out of my bike shoes and barefoot coming in - slid on the Zoots, and pssd around with my race belt (which cost me) - grabbed my hat and off. Had some traffic coming by my rack that I had to pause for.

I watched Chris do this in pictures from Petersburg, and I did it with my hat but not belt. Just grab the hat and belt and run with it til you put both on, instead of standing in transition buckling the belt - which I did and still put it on upside down - lmao. Was 1:33 in T2 last year, so gained some ground again.
Run
  • 25m 12s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

lol............I was 85th overall of 537 coming out of T2 and finished 101 out of 537 (pro's elites clydes and athenas) and 79 out of 436 after the run. Ouch - 16 peeps passed me on the run.............and I felt I was running a good pace. Oh well - the bike was fun!!!!! lol

Not much - in hindsight, not sure how much I had left in the tank.......maybe some fumes that could have got me that 13 seconds and into the 24 min bracket, but again..........26:31 last year, so another 1:20 shaved off overall time.

2009: 1:24:06
2010: 1:15:13
Post race
Warm down:

Met CKinsey at the finish line...........gotta be honest here: Last year, I felt like everyone was waiting on me to finish, and I got to be 2nd in this year and cheer folks in, so there was a little pride here - but at the sametime, I focus on stayin humble as well............I'm just enjoying seeing the fruits of my labor and it motivates me to train even harder. Cheered in rest of T3 teammates, checked times, packed up transition and loaded bikes for the ride home - oh, and can't leave out a few bites of Firehouse pizza!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Genetics? lol...........kidding. Just continue to put the effort and time into training and it will come.

Event comments:

Once again - one of the TOP sprint tri's in the midwest - Great Venue, Race Director and Volunteers - it was a difficult day with the impending weather, and they pulled it off without a hitch! GREAT JOB Colleen!

Last updated: 2010-04-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:38 | 600 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 28/42
Overall: 276/436
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca Full Sleeve
Course: Triangle - counter-clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:23
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:33:53 | 13 miles | 23.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/42
Overall: 39/436
Wind: Little
Course: Out to a square and back - FLAT and FAST!
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:12 | 03.1 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/42
Overall: 190/436
Course: Out and back along lakefront - on roller, but a nice decline before so you really don't lose a bunch of time.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-06-06 6:48 AM

User image

Subject: Tri-Shark Classic Triathlon

2010-06-06 10:58 AM
in reply to: #2903204

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pekin, IL
Subject: RE: Tri-Shark Classic Triathlon
Great race James!  It's great to see your hard work paying off.  Keep it up, it's contagious

Edited by CKinsey 2010-06-06 10:59 AM
2010-06-10 5:55 AM
in reply to: #2903204

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Tri-Shark Classic Triathlon
Good job man!!  YEha I actually think it was closer to 10 till when they said OK, no delay let's start!!!  I had to run form the bathrooms to get my wetsuit on!!  Glas we didn't get wet during the race, pre and post race was enough!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-Shark Classic Triathlon Rss Feed