Macon, Georgia
United States
Set-Up Events
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 20F/?
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 2/?
Pre-race routine:

Night before drove up to Macon. Just made it in time for a group dinner. Restaurant took a couple of hours to get the entrees together and then didn't have one for John or I. What????

Next stop, our hotel where they had lost our reservation and were overbooked. After driving around to several other hotels we took the only supposed available option: a gross jacuzzi suite at a motel. Features included a moldy hole with running water coming thorugh the ceiling of the bathroom and said jacuzzi in a carpeted adjoining room with a coffee table and couch in front of it. Weird! By this time, it was past when I wanted to be sleeping, so I did the best I could with that.
Event warmup:

This was another race where I "learned some lessons" (seems like I have been having a theme this year!) I wish I would have gotten around to writing a report for Gulf Coast bc the lessons I learned there were a bit more entertaining such as how to avoid having whole shot blocks come out your nose and how to find the best trees during the run leg for bathroom stops. That one might have been a bit graphic though!

The lessons I learned here more listening to your body and brain types of things. Also just being a more reasonable person about your physical condition.

Lesson #1 Don't do a race your really not into.

Normally I am excited and nervous about a race and adrenaline and enthusiasm can overcome a lot. The opposite of these feelings is dread, wanting to go home, wanting to quit, and thinking about "retiring" from triathlon. Thats how I felt going into this race.

I had also considered either doing the aquabike or putting together some relay and in retrospect that prob would have been the best plan for me.

Anyways, on to the details! Right before the race started, I was a mess. My tire was leaking and I was freaking out about that. I needed a serious attitude adjustment and quick! I tried to remind myself of my original goal for this race which was to "have fun" and get in some good training. The first goal was in serious jeoporady so the only thing I could do was just commence the long painful training day!

I was also experimenting with a few different things during this race. I figure that a c priority race was a great opportunit to try different nutrition and pacing things that I had thought about.

1. I was experimenting with little to no rest going in. Had a normal week through Wednesday the week prior. Also, I rode to Alabama and back on Sunday, my longest ride ever by 40 miles (113 miles). I was interested to see if I could recover quickly enough to put in a decent showing. Racing as much as I like to ( or have been ) I can't afford to taper down for every race or Id never train!

2. Different pacing. Normally I have my hr at about 160 on the bike. Actually for New Orleans I hit 160 exactly and 159 for Gulf Coast (when I was less trained. I peaked and tapered for New Orleans.) I decided to throw caution to the wind for this one and see if I could still run after biking at 5 bpms higher. I won't ruin the suspense factor with the answer but Im sure you could guess from the tone so far!

3. Finally I was gonna see if I truly could use mind over matter to pull out a decent race despite my neck nerve thing and also a being a bit sick the week prior. Long story short, I'll spare you the details but Im pretty sure I have put a hole in my stomach through the process of comsuming multiple aspirin daily over the last several weeks. I stupidly didn't make the connection between the aspirin and my "stomach bug" either until a couple of days ago. Consequently, eating and drinking have been nauseating lately. Sooo I was also hoping that would miraculously sort itself out in time for me to be sufficiently hydrated and fueled.

Okay, FINALLY onto the race!
Swim
  • 37m 14s
  • 2200 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was the hardest swim I have done possibly with the exception of the Tuscaloosa swim last year that was upstream with a current. I have never been so close to bailing as I was with this one. Why? How could a simple rectangle in a flat calm lake be hard.

I have this weird nerve thing going on in my neck and shoulder and it really hurts my neck and messes up my stroke. I was so worried about yanking it around during the swim that my stroke is weird, kindof like a fish with one fin. Also I started on the inside corner of my wave and it was violent and crowded. I didn't put my head down first the first several hundred yards because I was worried about people hitting or pulling my neck like they were with the rest of my body. Anyways, with this effort and stress I was totally hyperventilating and didn't get into any sort of rhythm until I was halfway done.
What would you do differently?:

I need to keep getting treatment on my neck and swim more. Im actually surprised my swim wasn't slower, as I literally watched the whole field pass me by while I was treading water and hyperventilating.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 2h 59m 16s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.74 mile/hr
Comments:

I hoped that once I got on the bike I would feel better. I actually did feel okay but my legs were burning too much for having just gotten started. Its hard for me to imagine that I couldn't have been recovered but maybe I wasn't totally.

Neways, the course wasn't too bad, I actually enjoy the hills a bit, they just slow me down. From talking to people I figured I would be satisfied with just breaking three hours on this course but I still felt that based on my training lately I should have been faster than this.

I ate and drank as I normally do... 2-3 shot blocks every 10 miles and just filling up my aero bottle every aid station. This may not sound like a lot but it has always worked okay for me in the past.

Keep on biking more!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 1h 58m 57s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where I got to really see how my experiments went. When I first got off the bike I was like uhoh. Legs were totally dead and I was barely jogging from the get go. Focus changed really quick. I went from a competitive mindset to reluctant participant.

Normally I am excited to run people down today I was just cursing myself for following through with doing the race and wondering whether there was any value in continuing. I could see a couple of ATCers up ahead on the run and they looked like they were feeling pretty bad too so I felt like it wasn't fair for me not to finish what I started. I tried (again) to salvage my attitude if nothing else.

After a few miles I put my Garmin away in my back pocket because I didn't want to add anxiety about my shuffle to all the other negative emotions I was having. The sun was out and I was feeling surprisingly dehydrated. I felt like I should have been fine having taken in what I normally would on the bike. I was dizzy, couldn't think straight, and I was afraid anything but water would upset my stomach. Every aid station I was pouring cups of ice and water all over my and trying to just drink a few sips as to not upset my stomach. I did take a gel which I usually don't do on the run, usually I will do some coke or gatorade or whatever, but there was no way I was risking that. I did accidentally take a cup of Heed but when I tasted it I just threw it on myself instead of drinking it.

Saw lots of ATCers on the run and that was a nice distraction. Most of the people I saw looked pretty good and were still running. I talked to the first several and then lost the ability to talk after a while. Lots of people I saw would tell me how many minutes back I was from this person or that person but that was of no concern to me at that point. I was really really not feeling well.

At about the mile 11 aid station I saw Marcia and a bunch of other Atcers and they loaded me up with sponges and towels and pushed me onward although I distinctly remembered telling them I was dying! Right after that was when my left leg that had been running on the high part of the banked roads was cramping all over the place. I have only had a cramp like once in my entire life so it was then I was thinking my electrolytes must be out of whack plus dehydration. Somehow I made it the last mile and I have never been so happy to see the finish line in my life!

Just be reasonable. That really says it all!
Post race
Warm down:

They had chairs at the end and I just sat there commiserating with Joseph and Ron about how absolutely bad we felt. I felt like I couldn't get out of the chair and just kept saying yes to anything the volunteers offered me till I was covered up in wet towels, ice and bottles of gatorade. When I finally managed to get up I must have looked kindof bad because the Dr in charge of the med tent convinved me to come to his "cooling tent"

Wow, that was the best spa experience of my life. The volunteers covered me up in towel and poured ice water all over then, gave me bags of ice, crushed up salt tablets and two IV bags of saline. They had to poke around awhile to find a vein but that was the only part that sucked. I could have stayed in there forever! I couldn't cool down but then I started getting chills and my teeth were chattering so they were saying that I must still be really dehydrated.

Finally I made my way to the tent to see how everyone elses races went. I managed to drink a beer and have a good time. Lots of ATCers won awards and/or had good races while others of uses had PWs on many or all legs. John's relay did awesome and took home first overall.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I already talked about my various issues so I won't harp on them further. Overall Id say that my Lesson was that I need to take something like a half a little more seriously. I mean if Im sick or injured and miss a race the worlds not going to end! At least I don't think it will?

Last updated: 2010-06-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:14 | 2200 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/?
Overall: 0/?
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:59:16 | 56 miles | 18.74 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Actually no
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:58:57 | 13.1 miles | 09m 05s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-06-06 12:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Coliseum Rock 'N RollMan Half

2010-06-06 2:02 PM
in reply to: #2903462

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Coliseum Rock 'N RollMan Half

Great RR...it is good that you wrote it out.  I find they are valuable later on. 

Hard training day.  You have done a ton of racing over the last month.  This is a hard race all by itself let alone going all that other racing.  Sounds like lessons all over the place...which is the point of a C race!  The IV at the end was brilliant.  It will speed the recovery.  

I laugh at your overall time because that would be a huge day for me.  Also, I want to hear about the blocs and nose action.  I am betting that is worth a good laugh.

Look out IM!

2010-06-06 2:04 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

Great RR...it is good that you wrote it out.  I find they are valuable later on. 

Hard training day.  You have done a ton of racing over the last month.  This is a hard race all by itself let alone doing all that other racing.  Sounds like lessons all over the place...which is the point of a C race!  The IV at the end was brilliant.  It will speed the recovery.  

I laugh at your overall time because that would be a huge day for me.  Also, I want to hear about the blocs and nose action.  I am betting that is worth a good laugh.

Look out IM!

2010-06-07 7:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the words of encouragement! You would have liked the swim on this race! A good course for a swimmer to gain an easy advantage where the heat doesn't matter

The shot blocks thing is weird .... I didn't know it was possible but I guess if you don't chew it up well it can come out your nose whole. Or um, so I heard. Gross, huh!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Coliseum Rock 'N RollMan Half Rss Feed