Out Loud Productions
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 31m 22s
Overall Rank = 375/
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 20/23
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:20 but did not get up til 4. Ate usual breakfast of Cheerios and raisins along with a glass of water. Everything was packed the night before so took my time getting ready and out the door by 5 for the 15 minute drive to New Territory. Parking was a long walk from the transition but walked my bike as I had plenty of time.
Event warmup:

Walked around, checked the exit/entry for bike and run. Walked over to the lake to scope out the swim course. Stretched. Drank a full water bottle before the swim start. Very humid, still morning. The lake was very smooth. Took a quick dip/warm up swim before walking over to the swim start.
Swim
  • 13m 18s
  • 549 meters
  • 02m 25s / 100 meters
Comments:

Water was comfortable. Some tugs and bumps in the early going but was able to get into a comfortable rhythm except when I kept bumping into this breast stroker ahead of me....and never could get positioned to get around him. When I thought I did...there he was again in front of me. Sighting was good and stayed close to the buoys. Felt good at the end and ran back to the transition drinking a Gatorade handed to me at the exit. Though I was close to my target pace for this race, I felt like I was swimming faster than that pace compared to past races.
What would you do differently?:

Be more aggressive in passing if possible.
Transition 1
  • 03m 41s
Comments:

Compared to past races, this was a quick and efficient T1. It was my best T1 time ever. Getting ready for the bike was pretty smooth except I did forget to put my HRM on after I had my shirt on which added some time. I still am not sure how useful the HRM is for me during these races and it does add time putting it on.

Leave the HRM behind.
Bike
  • 38m 41s
  • 11 miles
  • 17.06 mile/hr
Comments:

Went out hard as I was determined to beat my previous race bike pace. I shifted gears to keep at cadence of 85 or 90 and pushed hard for 3/4's of the course. During final 1/4, shifted to easier gears to spin to try to prepare my legs for the run. Not sure it did much good. Ate 3 Shot Blocks during the final 1/4, but did not drink water until after the dismount and in T2.

Need to practice drinking on the ride so not have to wait until T2 for water.
Transition 2
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

Good transition. No issues getting shoes on and out for the run.

Nothing.
Run
  • 33m 52s
  • 3 miles
  • 11m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt heavy coming off the bike. Maybe I pushed too hard on the bike and this is impacting my run? Really felt slow. Huge shade trees all along the course was really nice on a day like today. Lots of mental games going on during the run cause I feeling really slow. I forced myself not to stop and walk so I 'ran' the whole distance. There was a white bridge just before the finish line. As I came around a bend and saw the bridge, I kicked it up a bit and pushed hard that final half mile or so. Not sure it made that much difference in the overall pace, but felt I finished strong.

Get over the mind games and push harder for the entire run and not just at the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around after getting a cup of water. Drank a Vitamin Water, ate a slice a pizza, then a banana with a water bottle. Walked around in the shaded park as I was eating and drinking. Packed up and walked back to the parking area (15+ minute walk).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Humidity but would have been much worse without the early morning cloud cover and the huge trees along the run course.

Last updated: 2010-04-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:18 | 549 meters | 02m 25s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/23
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: No
Course: Straight out to turnaround then back and to the left for the exit.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:41
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:41 | 11 miles | 17.06 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/23
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back, mostly flat with a couple of very slight hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:52 | 03 miles | 11m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/23
Performance: Average
Course: Loop course on mostly shaded sidewalks.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-06 2:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Tejas Triathlon

2010-06-06 3:22 PM
in reply to: #2903593

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
Subject: RE: Tejas Triathlon

Nice job Glen!  I see nothing wrong with your race!  Solid effort.  BTW, if you train with a HRM, then I would race with it so you can see how hard your effort level is.  Great job on your-  I will see you at Bridgeland... 

2010-06-07 9:22 AM
in reply to: #2903643

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Great race Glen, lol your swim sounds like many of mine, why is it so hard to get around people sometimes?
2010-06-07 9:32 AM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!

Solid race brother!  Good effort - good luck at Bridgelands... see ya out there!

2010-06-07 2:56 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Excellent race!  Great effort.
2010-06-07 3:31 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Way to go Glen! I differ from ANdy on the HRM for a sprint. To me it is not worth the time it takes to put on for such ashort race.

2010-06-08 2:30 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
awesome job.  i think the past few days have been some of the most humid that i can remember.  very tough racing conditions. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tejas Triathlon Rss Feed