United States
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 17m 26s
Overall Rank = 339/815
Age Group = 30-34 Females
Age Group Rank = 17/59
Pre-race routine:

I was up at 4:15am and out the door by 4:40am. I made a quick stop at Meijer to buy a sports watch, then headed right to the park.
Event warmup:

Stretched and swam a little to get the blood flowing.
Swim
  • 09m 19s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

I wasn't thrilled with my swim. I can't figure out the best position to start from (with the group start). I've started in the middle and at the front...so this year, I decided to wait back and start behind everyone else (it really doesn't matter in this race because your time starts when you cross the mat). I ended up running into SO maany people that were swimming either breast stroke or back stroke...I took several kicks to the ribs and a few elbows to the torso. I had to swim far to the outside just to get around those people that were taking their time and splashing around. After rounding the first marker, it got a little better. But it just felt very congested, which is probably also due to the size of the field (doubled from last year to 800+).
What would you do differently?:

From my experience these past three years, it seems like starting in the middle of the pack, but to the outside, is the best way to go. The year I did that was by far my most comfortable and quickest swim at Hawk Island.
Transition 1
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

I wanted to have quick transitions this year, and I accomplished this. Great news too is I have plenty of room for improvement. I ranked 6th out of 59 for my T1 time.

I could hustle even more...oh yeah, and not miss the timing mat on the way into transition (I knew I didn't hear it beep when I passed over, so I went back and waved my leg over the mat again unti I was sure it registered).
Bike
  • 32m 17s
  • 9.94 miles
  • 18.47 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm happy with my ride. It was the first "actual" ride on my new bike and I felt good the entire way. I stayed in the big ring the entire race and probably could have shifted out a couple of times, but overall I felt fast and I had plently left in my tank for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

Happy with this transition and know I can still improve. Both T1 and T2 times are HUGE improvements from the last two years at Hawk Island. I finished 28 out of 59 for my T2 time.
Run
  • 32m 14s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt good! Running is by far my least favorite of the three diciplines, but I'm steadily beginning to tolorate it (ok, maybe even enjoy it a little). I kept a consistant pace and only walked for about 20 seconds at the 1.5 mile mark/aid station.

Not walk at all and HTFU (run faster, sprint sooner when the end is near)
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I should warm up properly before the race (maybe actually jog a little and swim a little harder than I did this time) and pick a better spot to start in the group before the swim. Also, just some gool old HTFU'ing.

Event comments:

Hawk Island is a great little (not so little anymore) race and it's well run...which is why I keep coming back. I always have a great time.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-01-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:19 | 400 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 19/59
Overall: 0/815
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri top and tri shorts
Course: Start from the beach, straight out and then a hard left for a couple hundred meters, and then another hard left back into shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:49
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:32:17 | 9.94 miles | 18.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/59
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Flat with a few gradual inclines...main roads in Lansing.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:14 | 03.11 miles | 10m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 41/59
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back, nice and shaded most of the way.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-06 7:42 PM

Master
Subject: Hawk Island Triathlon

2010-06-07 10:05 AM
in reply to: #2904003

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: Hawk Island Triathlon
Good work out there. I enjoyed reading your race report and looking at your photos.  My first race was last summer and it was a smaller race in Ohio (went back home so my parents could be there to watch). I really enjoyed the small tri atmosphere too (it was around 800 I think).  Of course 2 weeks after that I did the Chicago Tri (around 10,000 participants). It was my summer of extremes haha.  Your report makes me really want to race again soon!
2010-06-08 3:38 PM
in reply to: #2904985

Master

blackledge - 2010-06-07 11:05 AM Good work out there. I enjoyed reading your race report and looking at your photos.  My first race was last summer and it was a smaller race in Ohio (went back home so my parents could be there to watch). I really enjoyed the small tri atmosphere too (it was around 800 I think).  Of course 2 weeks after that I did the Chicago Tri (around 10,000 participants). It was my summer of extremes haha.  Your report makes me really want to race again soon!

Thanks Ryan!  Find a race...there are a ton out there.  Maybe I'll see ya at one this summer.

2010-06-09 9:14 AM
in reply to: #2904003

User image

Regular
Haslett
Awesome race Kristen! I inadvertantly started at the very back, as in the second to last person in the water and was pretty far to the right. It seemed to work well for me, no kicks at all. Though now that I look at the pics, it looks like I ran up to the middle of the pack by the time I got in the water, still way on the right.
http://timeframephoto.exposuremanager.com/p/10hit-start/10hit-start-34_12_11_1
http://timeframephoto.exposuremanager.com/p/10hit-start/10hit-start-36_12_11_1
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hawk Island Triathlon Rss Feed