General Discussion Triathlon Talk » altitude training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-05 1:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Subject: altitude training?
Hey there. So, my first Sprint is at about 6,000 feet and I live just a few feet north of sea level. I've run a couple of times at about 4,000 feet and did a 2 hour hike at 9,500 feet last week, but I am really afraid of feeling the effects of doing all three sports in a row at altitude. The distances are short, 400m swim, 6mi bike, 2mi ride, and I think the altitude might be the reason for that. I'm wondering how many out there have trained at sea level, but raced at altitude? I have two other sprints scheduled for the rest of the summer and I'm doing the unthinkable and considering cancelling the 6,000 foot one.....It is in 2 weeks and I'm getting worried. Thanks!

2005-07-05 1:46 PM
in reply to: #190596

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Subject: RE: altitude training?
As someone who lives at 5000 feet in CO, but often hikes or trains higher than that, I would encourage you to go spend a few days at race sight prior to your Tri.  Your body needs lots of time to acclimate to the altitude and just living at 6000ft will help you do that.  Also, you need to drink TONS of water...like 50% more than at sea level, to stay hydrated at altitude, especially if you aren't used to it.

I am sure you can do it, if you have been properly training for a Tri, you just may need to do it slower and not as aggressively.  If you start to get what feels like a migrane, nausea, chills, clammy, you need to stop. That is a sign of Cerebral Edema(swelling of the brain), a side effect of altitude sicknesss.  It is EXTREMELY dangerous and can result in death or brain damage. Take it seriously.   I live at 5000ft and experienced that just from backpacking in the Tetons at 8000ft.

Don't cancel, just be prepared and educated!  You can do it!

Melanie
2005-07-05 4:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Meh, I did not read the reply but here in Wyoming I live at 6,200 feet. I am originally from Florida. The big thing is dehydration. At higher altitudes it tends to be dry (at least around here) so drink up. The air is thinner so your performance will drop, but I think you will be ok if you have trained a little. It would be good for you if at all possible to spend a week at altitude to acclimate (spl?) yourself to the high altitude. I think I read that somewhere.
2005-07-05 4:26 PM

User image

Regular
Illinois
Boy - that's a tough one. I'm a sea-level dweller myself and I know that the few high altitude runs I've done have really clobbered me. If you're in shape, I don't see why you can't handle a sprint at altitude but I would really focus on starting off slow and drinking lots of water. In two weeks, I don't know that you can get in enough altitude training to make a huge difference in your level of preparation.

As for acclimating to altitude, the traditional rule is that you have to do some extended training at altitude before your body really gets used to it. But if your schedule won't allow that, the theory I've heard batted around recently is that you should either arrive at the race site well ahead of time (1 week or more) to give your body time to acclimate to the altitude, or arrive the day before so your body doesn't have a chance to realize it's at altitude before the gun goes off. Anything in between is trouble because you'll be tired from adapting to the thinner air but yet not adapted enough by race time to benefit yourself. The day before plan sounds to me like a bit of a high-risk strategy (I've never tried it), but it's supposed to work well.

Here's a good article on altitude training:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,5033,s6-51-54-0-7912,00.html
2005-07-05 4:51 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

GO RACE!

While you are concerned about competing 6,000’ above your home there a couple of things to consider.  Going up 6,000’ from sea level is far more reasonable than going up from say, 10,000’ to 16,000.  (I’ll explain below)  Secondly, your destination elevation is well below 8,000’, which has been proven to be a significant demarcation in altitude related illnesses.

The problem with altitude is that it comes with a reduced partial pressure of oxygen.  So, if you breath 14 times in a minute, less oxygen is presented to your alveoli at altitude than at sea level.  Your body responds by breathing more often, and over time it gets more efficient at extracting oxygen and transporting it in your body.  For example, my blood is thicker with red blood cells than yours.  Theoretically I would have a slight competitive advantage at lower elevations, but I’ve never noticed the small difference.

Can you race at 6,000’?  Yes.  If you set a PR, it will be because the course runs downhill though! LOL!  Expect to be a little slower.  If you let yourself get too dehydrated, you will feel worse than if you were at sea level.  However your race is so short, that I’m sure you’ll be done in less than an hour.  Keep in mind that thousands of downhill skiers, snowshoers, snowboarders, hikers, mountain bikers, rock climbers, etc., at least occasionally venture into the high country to go like hell for a day.  Not an hour, a day.  And they play above 8,000’.  What’s at risk above 8,000’? 

HAPE (high altitude pulmonary edema) and HACE (high altitude cerebral edema) are super rare below 8,000 feet, and are more typically associated with higher elevations.  (I had HAPE at 20,000’) AMS (acute mountain sickness) is characterized by headache and nausea and seems to occur in degrees and occurs far more commonly.  Above 8,000’ it’s very normal to feel somewhat shorter of breath and perhaps a bit lightheaded during exertion (like, during a tri!), but this would be unusual at 6,000’ unless you have another physical limiter like advanced age, pregnancy, obesity, emphysema (you get the idea).

I agree completely with Colomingle about the importance of hydration and nutrition.  I’ve hauled many a weak-kneed skier off the hill only to find out they were hung over and hadn’t eaten or drunk anything non-alcoholic since arriving at altitude 24 hours earlier.  This is AMS by stupidity.  Stay hydrated and have fun!

2005-07-05 9:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
thank you all so much for your tips and responses. I feel well enough prepared, I know to hydrate more than usual, and I am only able to show up the day prior to the race. I spoke with an ex-Olympian skier who said the third day at altitude is the worst, so here's hoping the first half day isn't so bad, as one of you all told me. Thanks!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » altitude training? Rss Feed