Multisport Canada
23C / 73F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 3s
Overall Rank = 127/255
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 50/7
Pre-race routine:

Let me start this by saying that anything that I say that sounds like an excuse probably is :). Up early (several times) as I was excited about the race. Checked my gear for about the 4 th times ince getting it ready last night. Do you ever get that feeling that you have forgotten somethign really important like your runners or bike or maybe tri shorts? Oatmeal and OJ for breakfast. Grabbed a coffee and bagel for the drive. Got to the race site in plenty of time. Checked in and got race kit. Racked my bike and looked around the site to get the layout for tranistion. Checked out the merchandise booths and some of the other racers ;) Set up my transition area. Had to run back to the truck to get my swim cap.
Event warmup:

I took a short run down the run course exit to get the feel of going out and coming back in. Felt pretty good. Put on my wet suit and headed down to the water for the pre-race warm up. I managed to put another tear in my wet suit putting it on. ( for some reaon my suit seems to be very prone to tearing. Maybe it the extra 5 pounds I retained after the off season. The water was nice and I didn't even self warm today. Chatted with a few of the other swimmers. Mostly the women ... again:)
Swim
  • 13m 26s
  • 656 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not a big race and for a change I was not in the last wave. Actually I was in the second wave in the mens' age group 40+. Overall it wasn't a bad swim but I could have gone a lot faster. I did some good drafting at the beginning but got behind some people who either out distanced me quickly or I picked up enough speed to catch the others and had to go around them. Only a couple of swimmers from the young ladies group which started behind us caught me and they were darned good swimmers. I do still have an issue with my rotator cuff so I'm sure I was way slow because of that ;) ( excuse #1)
What would you do differently?:

Maybe wait and start with the women. No particlaur reason except they look better. Really train better. I had and excellent base over the off season and then when I started helping with the Tri cliinc did not put in enough swim time. You'll see the same comment in the bike portion. Oh yeah in the run portion too (Excuse #2).
Transition 1
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

It was a long run to the start line and the grass was wet so I decided to put my biking shoes on in transition. Also there was a good climb immediately starting the bike so I wanted to make sure I had my shoes on and was strapped in.

Practice with my shoes on the bike. Jumping on and getting into them as quickly as possible. Other than that the set up was good and went smoothly.
Bike
  • 44m 50s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 16.63 mile/hr
Comments:

There was about a 100/110 m run up a small incline to get to the bike mount line. I held back a bit on the bike as I kept telling myself this was just the first race of the year and I wanted to enjoy it. I should have gone a little harder as I had lots left at the end of the ride. I was thinking I could push it in the last 5 Km but missed the marker (duh)and was back at the park entrance before I realized it. My back also got a little tired and I am not sure why. I have upped my core training for the next little while to prepare for the next race.

Push a little harder so that I feel like I am not on a Sunday morning joy ride (even if the race is on Saturday.) Train on hills more. Train better as with the swim. (see excuse # 2)
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Good tranistion and no problems

nothing but go faster, faster and faster so that I am just a blur going through the transition zone.
Run
  • 25m 13s
  • 2.49 miles
  • 10m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where the wheels came off. Right from the start my calves were like rocks and I was unable to get them lossened up until about 3/4 of the way through the race. Even then I was not comfortable. I caught one of the guys from out local tri club and walked with him for a short distance. Even a short hill was very hard on my legs. I had no problem with my energy levels. It was just the %^*(@&% calves. (Not suer if this is an exucuses or not ..you decide)

Not sure. Maybe train a bit more. I am looking into the shoes I was wearing. I got new shoes about a month ago and noticed that my calves had been tight for the last little while. I may have to go back to my old shoes or change brands again.
Post race
Warm down:

Fell on the ground and lay there soaking up the sun and air. Finally got up and walked around a bit. Grabbed some fruit and water. Went to the finish line to see if I could cheer my tri club buddy in. Missed him. He must have come in while I was communing with the grass after I finished.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think improper trainnig and preparation for the race. (last time I use that excuse for this race).
Also with the women starting after me I didn't have the incentive of chasing pace booty (final excuse but the best one by far)

Event comments:

very well run Subaru sponsored race ... as usual.

Last updated: 2010-06-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:26 | 656 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 86/255
Performance: Average
Suit: yes. Exterra Vortex
Course: rectangular set up. They were using bright neon green markers and they were very easy to see . The start was a start standing about sholder deep. I was dead center at the front of the group. I figured what the heck I know karate and can protect myself if someone wants to TRY adn swim over me:)
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:43
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:44:50 | 12.43 miles | 16.63 mile/hr
Overall: 135/255
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: out and back on country roads. Gently rolling hills wth the only large climb of any note at the beginning coming out of transition.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:13 | 02.49 miles | 10m 08s  min/mile
Overall: 161/255
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back on parks trails and rough gravel roads.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-07 9:19 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Subject: Woodstock Triathlon

2010-06-07 9:25 AM
in reply to: #2904792

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Woodstock Triathlon
Good race Rob, I have the calf issues from time to time, shoes, electrolytes?   Probably a could things to try.

LOL if you stopped looking at pace booty all day you might go a bit faster ; )
2010-06-07 9:46 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
love the idea of starting with the women!!!!  great job man.  sorry about the leg issues.  hopefully you'll get it worked out asap!
2010-06-07 10:00 AM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Sounds like a quite social tri for you!!  Too bad on the calves.  I have yet to do a brick this year and I am expecting tight calves for the first one!

Nice job.
2010-06-07 11:54 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.

Good job pushing through... Try compression socks before (if you don't want to race with them on).... This may help a little.

2010-06-07 1:05 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Nice race - sorry to hear about the calf cramps but still sounds like a great time!  And too bad about the lack of pace booty! haha.

2010-06-07 1:16 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Ha nice start to the year Rob. Excuses? there ain't room for stinkin' excuses here!!

Get out West soon, I'll introduce to some booty. 
2010-06-07 1:16 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Ha nice start to the year Rob. Excuses? there ain't room for stinkin' excuses here!!

Get out West soon, I'll introduce to some booty. 
2010-06-07 9:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice effort with a sense of humor mixed in.  Great getting your first tri in for the year. 
2010-06-09 9:01 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
You switched to Brooks right?   Personally I don't like those, they gave me all kinds of shin and heal pain.   I cringed when I read your comments about feeling like you forgot something in the Pre-Race Warmup section - I thought you were foreshadowing.  Glad it was just nerves.   Too bad we don't live closer, it would be fun to train together.  

Very nice job for the first race of the year.  With the crazy hours you work I think you did a great job.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Woodstock Triathlon Rss Feed