City of Ridgeland
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 40m 7s
Overall Rank = 48/100
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 4/11
Pre-race routine:

This race is 5 minutes from our house. Just a matter of loading up the car and getting there. Set it all up and just chit-chatted with friends before getting in the water. (Overall rank is overall women.)
Event warmup:

Got a short swim in. Water was choppy. I knew sighting would be difficult.
Swim
  • 21m 17s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

The chop made it very hard to see. It didn't bother me; i.e., I swam in it fine, but I couldn't see where I was going at all, so I kept sort of stopping to look. Or doing several breast strokes. Then, on the cross side, the rolling around actually made me slightly dizzy. I also really messed up my start. My swims of late have been totally sucky, so I didn't want to get into the first hundred yard sprint and then lose it. I decided a nice, liesurely start was in order. But I ended up too much in the mix and had a difficult time making forward progress...liesurely or otherwise. So, between the chop and my bad decisions, it was an ugly swim. Surprisingly, though, it was faster than last years by several seconds.
What would you do differently?:

Find a better place to start. Maybe trust that I swim in a relatively straight line and don't need to sight that often?
Transition 1
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

I was a bit discombobulated after the swim and did not get through transition as quickly as I should have. Also, new shoes took a little longer to put on. Definitely need more practice.

Practice so I can get through this more smoothly and with deliberation.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 12s
  • 24.5 miles
  • 18.80 mile/hr
Comments:

This is the only part of the race that felt like I did good. It was windier than last year and we had a headwind/cross winds on the return. When I heard that some of the faster guys went 2 min slower this year than last year, and I was only about 1 min slower, I felt pretty good. I mostly pushed it, which showed itself on the slight hills on the course where I didn't have as much power as I would have liked. I weenied out on the hairpin turn and actually got off my bike. I got so nervous getting to it, I didn't want to cause an accident, especially with all the other bikes around me. But, wow. That's the first time I've done that. I really need to practice those turns. Don't know why they scare me so much...I've never fallen doing them. But I have gone off the road.

Not get off the bike at the turnaround.
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

This is a pretty fast transition for me and probably what put me in 4th place rather than 5th in my age group.

Just grab and carry my hat rather than taking time to jam it on my head.
Run
  • 58m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was comfortable and effortless. And that was the problem. I should have put some effort into it. It was like a long run pace. La-di-da. I never felt loose and my quads were quite heavy feeling, but based on my RPE, I could have picked up the pace.

Run fast.
Post race
Warm down:

Showed off my pretty bike.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Attitude. I just didn't have a good one for this race. I am mad at my swimming. I was mad about being tired and not getting all my workouts in this week. I was just pissy and cranky going into it. But I loved my ride on my pretty bike with the more aggressive fit, and I, as always enjoyed the camaraderie of the local tri scene. With this race under my belt, my head's on straight(er), so I will be ready to tear it up at Heart O Dixie next month.

Last updated: 2010-01-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:17 | 880 yards | 02m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/11
Overall: 0/100
Performance: Below average
Suit: 2-piece tri suit
Course: Trapezoidal shape with open end. Clockwise, buoys to right. First couple of hundred yards at angle to shore and then straight out, across, and straight back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:53
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:18:12 | 24.5 miles | 18.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/11
Performance: Average
Results have my average as 19 mph...so maybe course is closer to 24.7?
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Love this course. Out Rice Rd. onto the Natchez Trace Parkway. Turn around and come back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Bad Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:58:00 | 06.21 miles | 09m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/11
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back on the multi-use trail. Every year, the turnaround is in a different place. Run may have been short this year.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes