United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 05m 59s
Overall Rank = 4/857
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/62
Pre-race routine:

Transition setup-since it is a first come first serve basis. Number markings, bathroom break, photos, music, and talking with all the people. This is the best part of the race. Taking away all the jitters by getting there early making sure you have everything set and listening to those who have done this course and helping those who haven't.
Event warmup:

1/4 mile+ walk to the start of the swim. I thought at first what a dumb idea but not really the swim exit is right at the BASE of the transition area. The water was warm enough that I got in a good water warmup. Some swims across the beach and some sprints.
Swim
  • 09m 11s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 18s / 100 meters
Comments:

Great course for a swim for beginners and veterans. the beach gives the opprotunity to stand up at any time. Floating guards or kayaks to help manage the course would make things a little better, for safety and sighting.
What would you do differently?:

More prerace hydration, seems as though I had a touch of calf cramping during warmups, didnt return until later but still seemed a little off. warmup was longest and felt the best in any race so far.
Transition 1
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

I usually rubberband my shoes upright and in place to run jump and go. Bands broke in set-up so I had to go shoes on, helmet on, run with bike in shoes through transition, hop and go.

Pack more rubber bands
Bike
  • 34m 37s
  • 12 miles
  • 20.80 mile/hr
Comments:

I was a little short on fluids-it was getting hotter and I was deailng with some cramps. I had 1 40oz reality bikes bottle with HEED. I also noticed on the way back that it gets REALLY congested by the barn hill. People were walking their bikes up some hills. I hope no-one was hurt. Walk on the right, ride in the middle and pass on the left. If you SEE a hill get to the easist gear sooner than later.

Hydrate more in transition. Seems about time to upgrade wheels or to an aero helmet. Push harder, but with the cramping I tried want to go easier, so overall good. Maybe gel at some point?
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Ok here we get a little interesting with the Good/Bad. I dismounted perfect, shoes were on because my big feet/shoes flip and drag locking the wheels so I have to run with them on-unclipped. ran to my transition and had a grandfather/grandmother and 2grandkids roaming through transition-and of course down my row. I had to be friendly rude and ask to move. Shoes on race belt on BIG DRINK and made it out just fine.

have a water bottle ready in transiton, the cups of water as you exit transition just dont give you enough-after you spill it all as you run by.
Run
  • 20m 13s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Running the parking lot sucks, then the 180degree switchback after that onto grass for 100feet sucks. no water on the course sucks. My legs felt like goo-as usual, and I did run slower than my last race. Im blaming it all on my hydration.
THE GUY IN THE GREEN SHIRT THAT WS CHEERING PEOPLE ON WITH TIME AND HOW CLOSE PEOPLE WERE IN THE RACE WAS AWESOME. I DON'T KNOW IF HE WAS A VOLUNTTER OR SPECTATOR-BUT THANK YOU. NEXT YEAR BE MEANER TO ME, I WANTED TO CATCH THE #3 GUY!

again with the hydration, and sprinted till I puked or fell to catch 3rd place. I was 4th by 12 seconds-and I chased him (brian) for 2.5 miles.
Post race
Warm down:

drink, drink,drink. jogged to transition to get camera-wife was part of the my first tri. jogged to run course, stretched and talked with as many people as possible while waiting on her.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

hydration

Event comments:

checked in the night before-no expo, no answers to questions regarding start waves. 5 volunteers. race started late, lack of volunteers led i think to no water on the run, little to no marshalls on the bike or run. no race day expo. Some company could make a fortune selling pre race equipment-um its a My FIRST tri-alot of people have nothing, my wife would have bout a tri bag the night before for sure, instead she used a sling bag she got free from another expo. race day you could sell-um rubber bads-tubes for race day flats, swim caps since this race didnt use them, i got asked if i had any extra bar tape-CRAP you could make a fortune selling I'm now a triathlete shirts! I didnt even see the race sponsors there-other than the mobile caffeine truck. Pst food and drink was good, volunteers cutting fruit and helping with water was good. Waiting 3 hours to announce winners-bad. Awarding overall place and age group place-bad. from what I heard about last year-MUCH BETTER-I actually will do this race next year-good luck everyone!

Last updated: 2010-06-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:11 | 400 meters | 02m 18s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/62
Overall: 0/857
Performance: Good
Felt fine
Suit: reality bikes tri suit
Course: Yeah the swim distance, not real sure. The crowd countdown was nice, but really from 10, how about next year from 5 or 3. The buoy start to finish was along the beach, some people didnt konw how to spot ended up really deep, and we all werent sure do we keep the buoy to our left or what, some swam around, under, and inside. Not much bumping or kicking-no bruises today. Then theres the run to transition-across the bridge up steps past the pavilion and up the monster hill.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:54
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:34:37 | 12 miles | 20.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/62
Some more slight cramping in calves and hip flexor.
Wind: Some
Course: Great course. Down the park on newly paved roads, got a little confusing at one point because the cones were set for traffic, I went up a hill only to have to turn right around and go down it again-I shoulda known better (maybe lost 20 seconds) out on the main roads not bad. traffic was light and then you get past new bethany and theres a bike lane. the turnaround was at the church, so nice, didnt lose TOO much speed here. since it was an out n back you had the bike lane but then its go a little hairy. more traffic going to the harbor made it a little congested esp with the my first tri participants coming at you. OFFICERS did as well as they could and I GREATLY thank them for being there at EACH intersection. easy ride into the park on the paved roads again, little hilly finish but nothing too bad.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:20:13 | 03.1 miles | 06m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/62
HR was probably high, little anger from the grandparents, feeling what place I was in, pressure, and man it was getting hot.
Course: All Ive heard is how in previous years the course was REALLY 2.7. so the email goes out-theres a new run. So Im expecting a real 5K, and it was. Email also said no more big hill, and Ive done the lake lanier (emerald point) so I know the hill so Im happy. I accidently ran off course into the spectator area since the gate was open, oops-thank you to the spectators who corrected me but then--Cones CLEARLY mark this course even though you do run the parking lot adjacent to the transition area-kindof a demoralizing loop, and up by the building you do 2 90degree turns to "get in the mileage" by that parking lot. Pretty run, you get a good view of lake lanier and it is nice being an outnback to see where you are and to see any friends for support on the run. finish is visable for a good bit to have a strong finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-06-07 9:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: My Nex Tri

2010-06-07 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2904889

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: My Nex Tri
Frank,
Great race! You looked strong out there. Yes, that guy in the green shirt was awesome. He was great about telling you how far back you were from the guy in front of you, but he also needed to tell you how CLOSE the guy behind you was.

You can totally catch that #3 guy next time, just keep your foot on the gas pedal.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » My Nex Tri Rss Feed