General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TT Bars on a Road Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2010-06-07 9:55 AM

Subject: TT Bars on a Road Bike
I need new handlebars and I already have clip on aeros on my bike.  Has anyone ever put TT or Wing bars on a standard road bike?  Would that throw my balance way off because of the different angle of the seatpost?  I'm newish to road/TT bikes because I come from a background of running and some mountain biking.  I just don't know the specifics of the dimensions well enough to know how a handlebar change would affect me.

2010-06-07 10:01 AM
in reply to: #2904948

User image

Davenport, IA
Subject: RE: TT Bars on a Road Bike
That was what a lot of people did back in the day before TT bikes existed...it will definitely work.  Road positions tend to be more stretched than tri positions, though. 
2010-06-07 10:05 AM

Would I need to change my seat position to stay balanced (forward, back, higher, lower, angle)?

2010-06-07 10:27 AM
in reply to: #2904987

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
JonnyRingo84 - 2010-06-07 11:05 AM

Would I need to change my seat position to stay balanced (forward, back, higher, lower, angle)?

Might need to move the seat forward.  The point of the aerobars is to get you into a comfortable, sustainable aero position.

I used clip-ons my first year racing and my fitter set  up. Didn't need the forward seat post but I have seen others that do.

2010-06-07 10:27 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
It can definitely be "made to" work.

The question you need to ask yourself is, why am I doing this?

After you have a good answer to that, Carry on.
2010-06-07 10:55 AM

The "why" is because I can't stand drop bars.  I spend about 90% of my time either on the aeros or on the top of the drop bars, never on the bottom.  Don't ask me why because I don't know.  That's just how I'm comfortable riding, and makes it a pain to brake in a hurry if I have to with the nature of drop bar brakes.

I figured it's easier to adjust the bike to my comfort rather than try to force myself to be comfortable in a position that I'm not comfortable in.  My thought was to put winged bars with reverse brake levers and bar end shifters.  Like I said...I'm new-ish to road biking long distances but in the miles I have logged and the different bikes I've tried that's how I have felt most comfortable.  I just don't know enough about mechanics to feel comfortable making a change like that on an older model trek elance frame without checking with some more experienced people first.

2010-06-07 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2905174

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
JonnyRingo84 - 2010-06-07 11:55 AM

The "why" is because I can't stand drop bars.  I spend about 90% of my time either on the aeros or on the top of the drop bars, never on the bottom.  Don't ask me why because I don't know.  That's just how I'm comfortable riding, and makes it a pain to brake in a hurry if I have to with the nature of drop bar brakes.

This sounds like a problem with either fit, or the drops on your bike Specifically.

1.) Have you been (professionally) fit to your bike?

2.) Have you tried varying depth of drops? Companies like 3T make a shallow drop bar (ergonova's) that does not change your relative position as dramatically as something more akin to a track/sprinter drop.

I figured it's easier to adjust the bike to my comfort rather than try to force myself to be comfortable in a position that I'm not comfortable in.  My thought was to put winged bars with reverse brake levers and bar end shifters.  Like I said...I'm new-ish to road biking long distances but in the miles I have logged and the different bikes I've tried that's how I have felt most comfortable.  I just don't know enough about mechanics to feel comfortable making a change like that on an older model trek elance frame without checking with some more experienced people first.

It's very possible you can get the position you want out of your bike. Again though, you NEED to go to an experienced fitter and talk to him about what you have, what you expect, and what is realistic.  There is no point in buying new shifters and brakes (you could probably just cut your current drops and turn them upside down to "make" some bullhorns.) and possibly seatpost/basebar and then ending up in another position that is just as bad/worse.

And of course... at some point when you start spending money, you end up in the scenario where you could have just bought another bike set up the way you wanted it instead of spending money on a frankenstien'esqe bike.

Keep us updated
2010-06-07 11:57 AM

Yeah...but buying a fully assembled new bike and having someone do everything for me isn't nearly as fun.  A 2011 Corvette may be faster than a restored and upgraded '67 Mustang, but that doesn't mean I'd rather thave the 'vette.

I'm a good athlete and I want to push myself for good times, but I'm never going to be Hunter Kemper no matter how hard I try.  What I want is a bike that I'm comfortable on that I can use as an alternate form of training (and transportation on nice days) since most of my races are running, but will still be fast enough to use in some tri's.
2010-06-07 12:04 PM
in reply to: #2905442

User image

Champion
JonnyRingo84 - 2010-06-07 12:57 PM Yeah...but buying a fully assembled new bike and having someone do everything for me isn't nearly as fun.  A 2011 Corvette may be faster than a restored and upgraded '67 Mustang, but that doesn't mean I'd rather thave the 'vette.

I'm a good athlete and I want to push myself for good times, but I'm never going to be Hunter Kemper no matter how hard I try.  What I want is a bike that I'm comfortable on that I can use as an alternate form of training (and transportation on nice days) since most of my races are running, but will still be fast enough to use in some tri's.

Read these articles.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Bike_Fit/F.I.S.T._Tri_bike_fit_system/Seat_height_21.html

Tough to get a roadbike to 100% of the fit you can get on a tri-bike but I think you can get pretty close.

My thoughts, get clipons, you can pick up used ones fairly cheap.  Put them on the bike, take some video/pictures while you ride on the trainer with them on.  Get a program like screen scales to measure the angles on the screen to compare them to the ones in the article and adjust your position as necessary. 

Handling will be a bit sketchier as you are moving your center of gravity around but if you've been mountain biking for awhile you shouldn't have any issues with it.
2010-06-07 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2905467

User image

Champion
Oh, I just re-read your op, are you talking about removing the drops and putting on aerobars?

That, I wouldn't do, I would just leave the drops on and use clip-on aerobars.
2010-06-07 12:51 PM

Alright here's the $64,000 question.

Which would be better...keeping in mind that cost is a major issue?

A) Make all necessary upgrades to an old road bike frame including new handlebars, new wheelset, new seatpost, new saddle, new shifters, new brake levers, etc.

B) Search my BUTT off for a used bike on these forums or online.

I do enjoy the challenge of making the tweaks and upgrades myself...just like triathlon is becoming a hobby for me, fiddling with stuff is as well.  I am just at the point where if it's going to cost me $400 and a TON of time to make all of the upgrades, would it be worth spending an extra couple hundred bucks to just get something used?

2010-06-07 2:58 PM

Before you start changing a lot of things on your road bike I suggest looking a shallow handlebars.

Here is an example of the ones I got on my new road bike ($40). They made it a lot more comfortable to get in the drops.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/product-components/201...

I also got a pair of used Profile Design Jammers aero bars ($25) that I put on my road bike.

I have spent less then $65 and may bike works well enough for now. I have a lot more work on the engine, before I the bike will be holding be back.

Your choice, but I would not spend a lot of money trying to convert a road bike to TT/TRI bike. I would save the money and put it toward getting a real TT/TRI bike once you know what your really want
2010-06-07 2:59 PM

Before you start changing a lot of things on your road bike I suggest looking a shallow handlebars.

Here is an example of the ones I got on my new road bike ($40). They made it a lot more comfortable to get in the drops.

I also got a pair of used Profile Design Jammers aero bars ($25) that I put on my road bike.

I have spent less then $65 and may bike works well enough for now. I have a lot more work on the engine, before I the bike will be holding be back.

Your choice, but I would not spend a lot of money trying to convert a road bike to TT/TRI bike. I would save the money and put it toward getting a real TT/TRI bike once you know what your really want

2010-06-08 11:32 AM

If you put on aero bars you should get the Fast Forward seatpost from Profile design.  I added it and it increased my speed and comfort immediately.  about 2-5% of the cost of buying a new TT bike :-)

2010-06-10 2:18 PM

I am in the same boat as OP, however, I am 6'8 and need to know where to get the longest set of aero bars (clip ons).  Does anyone out there know?

Thanks! 
2010-06-11 7:09 AM
in reply to: #2913918

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
bigroj72 - 2010-06-10 3:18 PM I am in the same boat as OP, however, I am 6'8 and need to know where to get the longest set of aero bars (clip ons).  Does anyone out there know?

Thanks! 

Most "Clip On's" are going to be sufficiently long enough unless you have problems with your knuckles dragging the ground.  I am 5'10" and have to cut almost all of my aerobars on my TT bike so my legs don't smack into the back of them.  Especially on a road bike where you will be stretched further anyways.
2010-06-11 9:45 AM

So I just bit the bullet and instead of repairing my old piece of (rhymes with spit) bike for $500+ dollars I bought a shiny new Canondale CAAD9 outfitted with all Shamano Tiagra components.  I know it's not the fanciest but it seems solid for my first road bike.

The question now...am I better off leaving the drop bars on and just slapping my PD clip on aeros on there or since I spend literally 0% of my time in the drops should I swap out for wing bars (like http://trisports.com/prdet2wi31.html) rather than just riding on the hoods whenever i'm not in aero.
2010-06-11 12:01 PM
in reply to: #2915472

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
the same advice for the last bike is still good for the Cannondale.
2010-06-11 12:28 PM

The answers to your questions in the previous advice are

1) Yes
2) Yes

I'm not trying to alter my bike for the sake of making a 48 inch frame fit my 6'2" body.  I'm trying to take a bike that is set for my specific body and make some tweaks to increase my comfort and efficiency when riding.

I guess I should have posed the question more like "For someone who has a bike that fits but who rarely if ever uses the drop bars, would it be worth it to swap them for winged bars for the sake of providing a slightly more personalized and comfortable ride, or would the benefits gained by such a switch be so minor as to not warrant the cost and effort?"

2010-06-11 12:36 PM
in reply to: #2915977

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
JonnyRingo84 - 2010-06-11 2:28 PM

I guess I should have posed the question more like "For someone who has a bike that fits but who rarely if ever uses the drop bars, would it be worth it to swap them for winged bars for the sake of providing a slightly more personalized and comfortable ride, or would the benefits gained by such a switch be so minor as to not warrant the cost and effort?"

I would never suggest that someone run a pursuit bar on a road bike even if they are planning to use it primarily for tri applications.

Instead, I would suggest swapping out the drop bars for a pair that is more suited to your riding style/flexibility.  Many athlets would be well served using drop bars that have less drop from the tops to the drops.

Shane
2010-06-11 3:28 PM

It's not so much a matter of me not being able to get into the drops...my arms are too long for my body so I can definitely reach.  It's more a matter that when I want to have my center low I get on the aerobars, and when I am riding a more relaxed pace I am on the tops.  The drops are just kind of there and not doing anything, so if I were to switch to a wing style would it provide me more flexibility in terms of providing multiple arm angles for aero riding while also allowing me to ride a style similar to the relaxed style of being on the top of drop bars or on the hoods?  Honestly I've never tried it before...so I'm just interested in your thoughts.  I feel like my thought process seems logical, but seeing as how I've never tried anything with this setup I was wondering if anyone had and if it was successful.
2010-06-11 4:09 PM
in reply to: #2916508

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
JonnyRingo84 - 2010-06-11 5:28 PM

It's not so much a matter of me not being able to get into the drops...my arms are too long for my body so I can definitely reach.  It's more a matter that when I want to have my center low I get on the aerobars, and when I am riding a more relaxed pace I am on the tops.  The drops are just kind of there and not doing anything, so if I were to switch to a wing style would it provide me more flexibility in terms of providing multiple arm angles for aero riding while also allowing me to ride a style similar to the relaxed style of being on the top of drop bars or on the hoods?  Honestly I've never tried it before...so I'm just interested in your thoughts.  I feel like my thought process seems logical, but seeing as how I've never tried anything with this setup I was wondering if anyone had and if it was successful.

I don't understand what you are trying to gain with the pursuit bar; could you explain why you think you are going to have more flexibility with the pursuit bar as opposed to the drops?

Shane
2010-06-11 5:39 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region

As a newish cyclist - I'd keep an open mind and learn to ride in the drops.  If you ever do any group rides, most groups don't allow you to be in your aerobars in the peloton so it would be nice to have the drops there.

If that's not a concern, then you should just go ahead and do what you want to do. It would seem strange to go through all that trouble just because you feel that you never use the drops. It's not like they cause any sort of issues just being there.  Of course, if you just want the bullhorn look, it's all up to you. We all do this for fun (well, most of us) and having a bike that you want is part of enjoyment.

I'm a newbie myself but my bike fitter even advices against me putting on clip-ons for any of the sprint tris for now (been cycling 4 months).  He thinks I need to get used to cycling and bike-handling in general before I go about trying the aero position which makes the bike a bit more difficult to handle. My bike is a Cervelo S so it is designed to have a aero position with a 2-position seatpost  but I'm just going to use the drops (or rest my elbows on the handlebars once in a while) for now.  Different situation from you though - I prefer to ride in the drops when I can and only switch to the hoods going up hills or when in  pretty close quarters in the peloton.  I also do most of my cycling in group rides where being in aerobars is not allowed.

I also haven't even done my first tri (6 weeks to go!) so I'm no expert.

Edited by m2tx 2010-06-11 5:40 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TT Bars on a Road Bike Rss Feed  

of 1