60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 15m 35s
Overall Rank = 12/262
Age Group = F
Age Group Rank = 1/112
Pre-race routine:

1/112 is all females.
Weather was miserable - about 40 registered didn't turn up and there were 9 DNF.

I had a couple of friends staying with me from UK who were also doing the race and also my son, Harry (on condition Fred (hubby) rode the bike course with him) so we had to figure out how to get 5 bikes and all the people down to the start at a silly hour in the morning. We did it in 2 cars.
I got up at 5 and had breakfast - only minus 2hrs to race but I wanted the extra sleep :)
Event warmup:

OMG it was chucking it down when I woke up and it continued to pour down. I got completely soaked pre race and wasn't warm. Luckily because it was a pool swim it was nice and warm and dry inside the school.
I didn't have time to warm up in the pool because of getting Harry ready. And in fact I had to queue jump for a last bathroom stop as the race had started and I was number 47.
I warmed up doing a few widths of the diving pool.
Swim
  • 05m 17s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

My swim was about 4:25 per my watch - the rest in running from pool to transition area. Swim was good until last 75 when I caught up the person in front (who told me he put an honest time of 4:18 down - NO WAY!) and he was flip turning and I just couldn't get past him safely. So I just swam at his feet for the last 50.

Looking at the list, apart from a few 19 and under swimmers (from local swim club I think) the only girl that beat me was one of my beginner tri group - and I don't mind that (way to go Nicole!)

Run to transition was OK. In total 8 secs slower than last year.

What would you do differently?:

Seed myself a bit higher - I always seem to catch someone on the swim - vicious circle I suppose if people aren't truly honest
Transition 1
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

This was 4 secs faster than last year. I'm surprised because I took my time, it was chucking it down and I thought my socks would be a nightmare to get on.
Actually they were OK - turns out the reusable Wegmans bags they have now sit upright and form a little tent ideal for transition stuff on a rainy day :)
I didn't even sit down like I usually do in transition - since it was so wet!

All OK
Bike
  • 43m 20s
  • 15 miles
  • 20.77 mile/hr
Comments:

560ft climbing
av HR 159 (max 168)
av cadence 91
I can't see a female faster than me - I love my bike :) Last years time 44:30.
It rained and rained and rained. At one point it was hail and hurt. A few gusty winds.
This is my kind of race though - I am strong in adverse conditions.
There were a other cyclists a few hundred yards apart and I just kept picking them off. I only got passed once - and that was a zoooooom (how on earth can these men go so fast).
I took the corners very carefully since it was so wet, other than that I was pushing it.

I made a rookie mistake of not checking my gears when racking my bike. They had been knocked by the car ride (that's what happens when 3 bikes in back of RAV4) and were completely wrong. So in hind sight with my stumbling I think I could have saved a few seconds here as I had trouble after the mount line.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

last year 0:52. I was worried my hands would be so cold I'd have difficulty with shoes etc but it was OK. I felt I took my time, grabbed my race belt, took my garmin off my bike and mounted it on my wrist. I know I could do this transition a bit faster but it was OK

ok considering conditions
Run
  • 24m 54s
  • 3.3 miles
  • 07m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

mile splits 7:03, 7:23, 7:27 then last bit I KNOW was faster

My sort of run. The rain eased off and even stopped for most of the run (it was back later). I do well in cool , but struggle in heat so this was good.
I felt strong the whole way round. My official pace works out at 7:32 but my garmin told me above splits and I know I was faster for last bit as I felt strong (and my garmin graph shows it) - so I must have been sub 7:30.

nothing
I was hoping for under 25 and I got that. Last year was 26:39
Post race
Warm down:

Rain had stopped
Water, cookies and ran between bike and run course cheering various people. Really nice - until the rain started later again. Chilly though.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lake Placid training??? I don't really think so though. I smashed my last years time by just under 3 mins (1:18:20 last year).
I KNOW there are several local ladies that can go a lot faster than me (Mary and a few at Keuka for starters) but this is my local little race and I love it and it's who enters so I'll take the win!
Nice new pair of sunglasses :)

Event comments:

There were more volunteers and drink stations this year so that was good.
Nice food afterwards (cookies, subs, chips etc)
Would have been a lot more fun in drier weather

The only thing I missed was a goodie bag :) at packet pick up and also I don't like the fact that we don't have bike numbers on our bikes (security issue for me)

Last updated: 2010-04-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:17 | 300 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/112
Overall: 0/262
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 300 yard snake swim in local pool. Seeded by swim time, going off at 15sec intervals, fastest first
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:07
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:20 | 15 miles | 20.77 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: loop around mendon ponds park rolling hills
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 91
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:54 | 03.3 miles | 07m 33s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: loop with a few gradual hills
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-07 10:44 AM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Subject: Pittsford Triathlon

2010-06-07 12:42 PM
in reply to: #2905137

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Pittsford Triathlon

Just one FANTASTIC race in tough conditions!  Minimal warmup, you had a nice swim!  Especially being held up like you were.

I'm astounded by your bike split.  Thats just sick how fast you were in those conditions.   And a very nice run too!

BTW, I've used several measurements for this course.  I keep coming up with 15.1 for the bike (3 methods) and 3.4 (2 methods) for the run.  So your paces were faster than what you reported here.

Regardless, I have no idea how I'm going to beat that time next year!  ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

2010-06-07 12:53 PM
in reply to: #2905137

User image

Master
syracuse
Subject: RE: Pittsford Triathlon
great race and GREAT WIN!

don't appologize for winning...you beat all that showed up, that is a win.

Here we come LP!!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pittsford Triathlon Rss Feed