View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hammond (Northwest Indiana), Indiana
United States
Total Time = 2h 35m 12s
Overall Rank = 113/210
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up way too early. Very easy to set up transition, as there weren't a lot of participants. Hung around a lot, went for an easy warm-up swim. Port-a-potty, of course.
Swim
  • 29m 20s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Very interesting swim. Mass start, since there were probably less than 250 starters (only 210 finishers). (I've never done a mass start before! It made it very easy to gauge the other racers during the rest of the race.)

Slight chop heading away from the start, with a tall utility tower and a lead boat to sight. Coming back was challenging: worse chop, heading into the sun, nothing to sight. The buoys were beer kegs, which are just too low to the water to see well.
What would you do differently?:

I enjoyed the swim overall. Maybe do more open water training.
Transition 1
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

Quick transition. Slight delay getting out of wetsuit, though nothing terrible. Shoes already clipped into bike.

This triathlon had a very fair set-up for the transition, in which all racers had to run the same distance, regardless of their spot in transition.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 29s
  • 24.4 miles
  • 21.07 mile/hr
Comments:

Fun course, though the wind was a real factor. As it was coming out of the west-northwest, the south-bound and especially east-bound portions were GREAT. 25-28 mph on these stretches. Heading west-bound was challenging, but at least interesting.

Train more, of course, but I was happy with my performance overall. I don't have a particularly "aero" set-up (aero bars on a Cannondale SystemSix road bike), and I think the most aero cyclists did better. I also used the Speedfil frame-mounted drinking system: awesome.
Transition 2
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

A little confused with the directions inside transition, but I agree with making the distances fair for all competitors.
Run
  • 51m 40s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Nice course: flat and fast. Nice to see the leaders on the return portion as I was heading out. I was passed more than I would have liked, but at least I avoided walking at all.

Train with more bike-run bricks. I think this is the one single thing that would improve my time. Although this is probably my best triathlon run, it's still 4 minutes slower than my regular 10k time. BRICKS!
Post race
Warm down:

Water and some fruit at the finish line. Had a busy day, so just packed up my gear and headed out. Otherwise, would have stuck around for the post-race stuff, since it was a nice little group of racers.

Event comments:

Nice course, overall. I hope attendance for this race picks up next year and beyond. I would definitely do it again.

Last updated: 2010-06-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:20 | 1640 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 100/210
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: Out and back. Mass start (!).
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:57
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:09:29 | 24.4 miles | 21.07 mile/hr
Overall: 130/210
Wind: Strong
Course: Two laps of an interesting, multiple out-and-back loop course. Much of this was on Cline Ave, which is a freeway that is currently closed. Small, rolling hills on Cline Ave.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:19
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:51:40 | 06.2 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Overall: 125/210
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-06-07 10:53 AM

Subject: Leon's World's Fastest Triathlon

2010-06-07 7:11 PM
in reply to: #2905169

User image

Regular
Northbrook, IL
Subject: RE: Leon's World's Fastest Triathlon

Nice job on the race and thanks for the tip in the race forum for finding the race results. I agree with all your assessments of this tri. I'm sure they will learn from this year and have a great race in 2011. What other races are you doing this season? Hope the rest of your season is as successful as this race. Well done.

2010-06-07 9:05 PM
in reply to: #2906779

New user

Glenview
Great job with the race and good summary.

I had a massive PR.  My bike computer said 21.8 miles...that's 3 miles short!  Do you have any numbers to compare?
2010-06-08 7:56 AM
in reply to: #2905169

Thanks for both of the congrats... Right back atcha. I really enjoyed myself, and I think the race can only get better.

There's also a discussion about this race on active.com, and most reported that the bike course was short. 3 miles sounds about right.

I was impressed at the quality of the racers. I'm working my way up from a consistent 50-percentile racer, but this group put me right back there!

I hope to see some people at the Racine 70.3, which is my only other tri this season. More running this year, then some soul-searching to see if I have a full distance Ironman in me for next year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Leon's World's Fastest Triathlon Rss Feed