General Discussion Race Reports! » Gary Kirby Triathlon for Cancer Research Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Gary Kirby Triathlon for Cancer Research - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Raleigh, North Carolina
United States
FSSeries
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 03m 29s
Overall Rank = 6/121
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/26
Pre-race routine:

Bad night's sleep (as usual before a race) then up at 5:45. Ate some Weetabix and drank accelerade in the car (24Oz). Got the boys and Becky loaded up at about 6:10 and headed out. Nice easy drive to the race site. Parked 0.25 mile away, went straight to packet pickup, got marked and went for a ride around the course. Chatted with 2 other guys who were doing the same. Ate a GU right before the swim and it didn't sit right.
Event warmup:

Swam a few lengths to warm up. The water was very warm and I felt super sluggish. Rode the course once (3 miles, easy pace).
Swim
  • 04m 49s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

Passed one person; didn't get passed. Felt pretty winded for this short swim- couldn't settle into any kind of rhythm. OK swim though but slow, given that the week before I did a 4:12 in the Cary Park pool.
What would you do differently?:

Have a more thorough warmup. Usually it takes a good 500 yards for me to feel good in the water. 4 lengths warmup before a swim isn't enough.
Transition 1
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Got through T1 fast but when I mounted the bike I couldn't click my shoe into my pedal. I had opted to just get my shoes on and run in them to play it safe. Cost me about 10 seconds or so.

Might leave shoes on bike and do a flying mount. I'll start practicing those.
Bike
  • 33m 34s
  • 12 miles
  • 21.46 mile/hr
Comments:

Pushed fairly hard on this and passed a ton of people. I didn't get passed but with a pool start like this you have no idea if the people you are passing started in front or behind you, etc. Still, it is fun whizzing by people, especially the dude on his cool bike with the aero helmet who was going about 10mph and standing up the very gradual climb on the back end. He looked the part but needed to work on his engine a little! I saw ladies on mountain bikes sitting down and able to make it up that hill! Anyway, had to ram on my brakes for a car who stopped in one of the turning circles for some reason (I assume to be nice to the triathletes, not realizing that they just needed to keep driving and NOT stop in front of us). Anyway, the guy behind me had to brake too and yelled "oh shit!". I turned to make sure he was OK and he said "not you buddy, you're fine. That CAR!". Made me chuckle. Each lap was around 8 mins- pretty consistent.

Not sure- just ride harder. I had a slightly sick feeling the whole ride from the GU before the swim. Average is OK but I should be able to get a 22 or so on this course. Still, with all the turns you kinda slow down a bit.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

Ran off the bike well and was quick about getting the bike racked. Then I put on someone elses shoes! What a dufus. I put his shoes on and then grabbed his number, which was attached to his shirt! Then it dawned on me that I had grabbed my neighbors stuff. So I took his shoes off and put mine on. Pity- the transition was VERY fast up to that point. I ran off the bike full speed and had the shoes on in no time at all. No socks for this race and it was fine- no issues at all with blisters or discomfort.

Uh, try to put my own stuff on! Fastest T1 in my AG was 0:34, and I think I would have beaten that if I didn't put shoes on, grab a race belt, throw it down, take off shoes and then put new shoes on!
Run
  • 23m 28s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt out of breath and got a stitch in the beginning but nothing too bad. Passed a guy at mile 1 (not that interesting until later). Anyway, at about the 1.5 mile mark there is a 90 degree right turn. I suppose you are supposed to take the next right and do a loop. I went straight (there was no-one at the turn to say "go right"). Anyway, a little later I saw a coming up the road who I knew was in front of me (had seen him on the previous out-and-back section) so I ran past him, commented that I was backtracking and kept going for a while. I turned around after a big group passed by and after another little bit passed my friend from mile 1 again (I prob cost myself 90s to 2 mins by backtracking, but would rather have that than finish knowing I had cut the route short. My splits lead me to believe I ran further than I should have too. My last 1.1 miles was in 7:33, but the second mile was in about 9 mins, which I know is not accurate...way to slow for the way I was running). Anyway, I then re-passed all those guys and hunted down a guy towards the end. It was hard but fun to sprint past someone at the end, even though it is meaningless. Finished and chatted to #19 (the guy who I knew was in front of me). He said he had trouble at that turn as well. Nice guy.

Pay attention to the route beforehand. Stop when in doubt. Eneded out being a slow run for me- I should have been able to do a 21-22 min run on this easily. Wish I knew my "actual" distance. Maybe I should do the Garmin next time (it takes less time to put that on than to put on 2 pairs of shoes! haha).
Post race
Warm down:

Just milled about. Talked to Doug and Alan (who was manning the run start). Checked the results- 3rd in AG and 6th overall so I hung around for the awards ceremony (I never podium). They said 10:30, but at around 11 I left. The kids were antsy and I felt bad making them wait. Pretty lame to go but I don't do this for a certificate or whatever the 3rd place thing is, so wasn't too worried.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Missed turn and putting on someone elses shoes in transition. As usual, overall fitness and speed.

Event comments:

Nice easy-going atmosphere. But you can't have an unmanned turn though, or if you do, you should just make em all unmanned, rather than every one except one be manned. Anyway, that stuff happens. FSSeries seems to be slow with getting the results posted (meant to be up by 9pm tonight and it is 8:51 and there is nothing: update, at 10:45 they posted that the results will be up Monday at noon). Setup usually posts them the same day and for a small race this should be almost immediate. They had trouble with the Tobacco Rd race too- some AGs were muddled, etc so I think FSSeries has some work to do on that front). I am not a big fan of the pool swim thing but it was fun to try. Don't think I will do another pool swim race for a bit though- prefer a longer lake swim. Still, it is a pretty race with a nice atmosphere. And it's nice to be done in an hour or so, rather than 5+ hrs! haha And I am not at all stiff/sore the next day, which is nice too.

Last updated: 2010-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:49 | 300 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/26
Overall: 0/121
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Pool- snake.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:45
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:33:34 | 12 miles | 21.46 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: 4 loops of around 3 miles each- gradual up on one side and down on the other. Pretty residential course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:23:28 | 03.11 miles | 07m 31s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Sorta weird shaped out and back. With one turn that didn't have anyone guiding the way, so I missed the turn.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-06-07 11:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Subject: Gary Kirby Triathlon for Cancer Research

2010-06-07 11:25 AM
in reply to: #2905233

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Gary Kirby Triathlon for Cancer Research
Nice race even with the "speed bumps". Man I might have room to improve on my swim and others might have room to improve on bike or run but I have never heard of people having room to improve in the area of nicking someones shoes and then running the wrong way during their getaway.
Nice report. the shoes thing had me laughing.
2010-06-07 11:30 AM
in reply to: #2905302

User image

Extreme Veteran
qrkid - 2010-06-07 12:25 PM Nice race even with the "speed bumps". Man I might have room to improve on my swim and others might have room to improve on bike or run but I have never heard of people having room to improve in the area of nicking someones shoes and then running the wrong way during their getaway.
Nice report. the shoes thing had me laughing.
2010-06-07 11:30 AM
in reply to: #2905302

User image

Extreme Veteran

Double-post. Yeah, my wife and kids were watching my transition and laughed at me too :-)

Edited by louiskie 2010-06-07 11:31 AM
2010-06-07 12:35 PM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
Nice job speedy! Even with a couple hiccups. I mapped the run route as well, you'll easily see the spot you had trouble with. I think the race info sheets messed people up. They seemed to use the standard sheet that said they would have police and orange arrows and signs. There was a sign there, but it said "Bike" course and I'm not sure how visible it would have been from the road, I was on the sidewalk.

Nice meeting you, sorry you missed the beer.
2010-06-07 1:26 PM

User image

Veteran
That turn screwed me up as well, and I know I ran too far, as I backtracked like twice while double guessing myself.  It said bike course instead of run course, so I thought maybe kids were messing around.  I was running like crap anyway, so no big deal.

2010-06-07 1:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey, since we both missed the turn and backtracked, I wonder how many people actually cut that turn, as there was no one there to direct?
2010-06-08 3:09 AM

New user

Thanks for forwarding the report, Louis. Why are you listed in the 0-26 age group for the individual events?
Don't forget, it is Boet's birthday today. We had dinner in ZiZi, a local restaurant and tonight we are having supper at my place. Boet is playing a squash game, otherwise we would have gone to a restaurant tonight. I also messed up for i have a dental appointment at 10.45 so we can't go for coffee.
Cheers, dad
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gary Kirby Triathlon for Cancer Research Rss Feed