General Discussion Triathlon Talk » newbe looking for advice on marineland tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-07 2:50 PM

Subject: newbe looking for advice on marineland tri
First im from the chicago area and signed up for a half ironman during labor day. My training is going pretty well, but i have never done a tri before and know that i have to do a few smaller ones before the labor day half. Anyway we are going camping in St Augustine and I found a sprint and olympic distance on 6/20 called marineland. Has anyone done this? I will be drivine approx twenty hours leaving fri and with a stopover getting in sat night. I know its a little crazy after all that driving to do a tri the next morning but the schedule fits. I just might be a little tired afterwards. Btw i will be there from 6/19-27. Anyone have any group rides going on.

thanks,

mike

2010-06-07 3:50 PM
in reply to: #2906087

Subject: RE: newbe looking for advice on marineland tri
Hi Mike,

I live in St. Aug and have been to this race as a spectator; I only did my first tri last weekend. It is a pretty small race. We went to the first in the series, early in the season and still a little cool out. That may account for the small turnout.

The one we watched, the ocean was like glass; not sure if that's the break (lack of break) there or if it was just perfect conditions. The bike ride and run are both out and back on A1A along the ocean; no shade, but very minimal traffic early on a Sunday morning. I did notice that several folks were confused about the entrance/exit from the transition area and the finish line and were asking us where they were supposed to be going. There were not many volunteers to help out and it was not timed by chip.

It is a lovely location, and if you don't mind a smaller, low key race, I'd recommend it, just be sure to get there with plenty of time to orient yourself to the entry/exit points of the transition area.

I did not do this series only because it is a 1/2 mile swim and for my first race, I was only willing to do a 1/4 mile in the ocean.
2010-06-07 3:57 PM

http://a1acycleworks.com/Events.html

Also, above is a link to A1A cycle works, they have some group rides, however I have never participated and can not provide any more info. : )

http://sprocketsbikeshop.com/articles/rides-and-events-pg37.htm

This one is for another local shop, Sprockets. Have never ridden any of these rides either. Might want to double check with the shops before showing up to make sure the schedules are current.

2010-06-07 7:37 PM

Thanks Jenn, We will be camping at anastasia state park. I dont feel the swim will be a prob as I am swimming 2700 a couple of times a week. I just started biking and am up to 40 mile group rides. This past weekend I did a 10k so the sprint sounds like it will be right up my alley. Also thanks for the bike stores as I am a newbie I am looking at group rides.

mike
2010-06-08 6:22 PM

glad I could help, good luck!
2010-06-09 7:40 AM

Mike, Thanks for asking about this race. I will be driving down from Ohio (Friday / Sat. also). My family is on the way to see the "Mouse" down there. It sounds like a fun event. Good Luck w/ the race. If anyone else has any other info about this race please share it. I've done lots of OWS at lakes here in Ohio but a little nervous about an OWS in the ocean. I actually bought a "shorty" wetsuit to wear for this event. Yes I have worn it and swam in it a few other times and raced in it this past weekend. Thanks

2010-06-09 9:53 AM

User image

Veteran
I live in st augustine as well and race a lot around here. The marineland series is small and not the best organization wise but if it fits in your schedule, I would go for it! Its pretty down there and will be a good training day anyhow even if it doesn't represent the best of this area's races. There are many group rides around, are you looking for one on sunday morning? The sprockets rides aren't the best in this area, they tend to like to prove themselves to new people. Myfavorite ride on sundays leaves from 210 and us 1. Great safe group, usually 60+ miles. Pm me your email and I can fwd you the email for the group ride. I'm in wisconsin right now since my dad is in the hospital so give me a day or two to respond, I should be back home this weekend. Safe travels and enjoy st augustine!
2010-06-10 7:44 PM

Thanks again for the responses. This will be my first tri, so I am really looking forward to it. As far as group rides I was looking for something during the week as we will be camping at anastasia state park for eight days then heading to see the mouse. The group we are camping with are a fun bunch so I am trying to set myself up with a plan, i.e. Tell the wife and friends, I have to go on this ride on this day ect so that I can get out and train. It would be easy to lay on the beach all day, but with the him in the fall, I really can't afford to not train.

On another note if anyone from that area knows if it is worth it to swim with the dolphins at marineland. The wife really wants to do it with my 5 y.o. daughter.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » newbe looking for advice on marineland tri Rss Feed