Setup Events
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 10m 43s
Overall Rank = 46/111 F
Age Group = F 40-44
Age Group Rank = 13/26
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 4:00am after a crappy night of sleep. I ate breakfast - oatmeal, yogurt, banana and coffee. Then I got dressed, packed and reloaded my car (we had to check our bikes into transition Friday night).

I applied some lotion sunscreen the night before the race to get a base. Then after I was body marked at the race site, I sprayed on a good layer of sunscreen.
Event warmup:

While I was setting up my transition area, they announced the water temp of 81* - so not wetsuit legal. Since IM Louisville isn't going to be wetsuit legal, I was planning to get a speedsuit for that race. I mentioned to my coach that I wished I had already bought it so I could use it today. She said she had hers and I could use it. So, I did a short warm-up swim to try it out.
Swim
  • 47m 39s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim time also included a long run back to transition - with a steep hill.

I started the swim slowly so I could keep my breathing under control. Then I tried to pick up the pace as I went. This worked great for my breathing. My swim was mostly uneventful, except that I suffered from cramps a few times. I continued to swim through them (sort-of) - I would stop kicking and flex my feet until the foot or calf cramp went away. But I am not happy with my pace. I still have a ton of work to do to get my swim time faster.
What would you do differently?:

I have to get my swim pace more competitive! 23 out of 26 in my age group isn't even close to good enough!!
Transition 1
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

I ran into transition, slipped my feet into my shoes, put on my helmet and sunglasses, sprayed on some sunscreen, grabbed my bike and ran out of transition.

Nothing
Bike
  • 3h 06m 15s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.04 mile/hr
Comments:

The ride started off well. My plan was to keep my HR in zone 3. I tried not to push the uphills too hard (although my HR did go up into zone 4 on some of them). I didn't stand on any of the climbs. I pushed the downhills and flats as much as I could.

I was actually having a good time on the bike. Since I was so far behind after the swim, I had no where to go but up (especially since I was also in the last swim wave). I passed a ton of people on the ride.

I did have a couple of issues during the ride though. I dropped my chain twice during the ride. I tried to back pedal to get it back on, but it didn't work. I had to stop to put it back on.

Also, I use Infinit on the bike. I carry one concentrated bottle with 3 servings on Infinit. And I put water in my aerobottle and refill it at the aid stations. This normally works great. But at the 2nd of 3 aid stations (mile 30), they had NO water. They had completely run out. So, I had to go for about 15 miles with no water.

I also realized as I was riding that I had forgotten to use my inhaler before the race started. I have learned from experience that I do better by using my inhaler before a race (or training) to prevent an asthma attack. If I wait until I am actually having an attack, the medicine takes a while to work. I was breathing fine at the moment, but decided I better use the inhaler in my race belt during transition before I started running.

I had to take my sunglasses off about halfway through the ride. My sweat was dripping on the insides of the lenses and I couldn't see through them anymore!

Keep my HR out of zone 4 for so long.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Once I re-racked my bike, I pulled off my helmet, put on my rolled up socks and slipped on my shoes (with yankz) and sprayed on more sunscreen. Then I grabbed my race belt and visor and started to run (I put them on as I was running). As I ran out of transition, I took a couple puffs of my inhaler

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 14m 7s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was a disaster from the beginning. I started running and began to feel poorly almost immediately. I started to struggle with my breathing. Even though I had used my inhaler running out of transition, I went ahead and used it again. It didn't seem to be working, so I had to slow to a walk. Also, the sweat was already pouring into my eyes. All I wanted to do during the first mile was to DNF. It was all I could do to keep moving. I thought if I could make it to mile 1, I could get a cold towel and wipe off my face. I thought that might make me feel better and maybe after a mile or 2, my breathing would improve.

When I got to the first aid station (at around 1.5 miles), they were out of cold towels. I couldn't believed it. I was done! I had continued through the aid station while I debated if I was going to quit or not. Then a volunteer came along that had collected some used towels. So, I turned around and went back to the aid station for one.

I struggled on for the next 5 miles. I ran when I could, but walked a lot. I walked through every aid station. I grabbed 2 cups of water at each. I added my concentrated Infinit to one and drank it. Then I would drink some of the water from the other cup or dump it over my head. I dumped the ice from the cups down my shirt.

I think I gave up mentally as much as physically during this section. Not only did I think about a DNF for this race, but wondered if I even wanted to do my other planned races for the year. I don't know how I ever thought I had a chance to qualify for Kona!

After about 6 miles, I started to feel better. I was able to breath normally again. So, I started running more. It was still a slow pace but at least it was a run. I actually started to pass people again. But I found it extremely hard to continue to run when EVERYONE around me was walking. I was also having pain in my right foot at this point. Below my big toe and my little toe were hurting. I have worn those shoes for 300 miles and never had this problem before. I ended up with a blister in both of the areas that hurt.

I need to work on my mental toughness. I used to be real good at blocking out pain and discomfort and pushing through. I don't know why I have struggled with that in the past year.
Post race
Warm down:

I got back into the lake to cool off. Even with all of the sunscreen I had applied during the race, I still had a sunburn on my back and shoulders!

I sweat tons during this race due to the heat and humidity. I don't think my clothes ever got any dryer than when I got out of the lake. And I chafed in places I have never chafed before. I knew I would sweat a lot during this race, so I applied a lot of body glide to all the normal chafe spots before the race. But somehow I ended up with some really bad chafing on my neck below my right ear. I have no idea what could have caused it.

Last updated: 2010-01-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:39 | 2112 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 23/26
Overall: 98/111 F
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra speedsuit
Course: Clockwise triangle course
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:24
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:06:15 | 56 miles | 18.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/26
Overall: 40/111 F
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: A one loop, hilly course
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:14:07 | 13.1 miles | 10m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/26
Overall: 47/111 F
Performance: Bad
Course: A hilly course of out-and-back sections.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-06-07 7:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC
Subject: Coliseum Rock 'N RollMan Half

2010-06-09 9:43 AM
in reply to: #2906833

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Gold member
Subject: RE: Coliseum Rock 'N RollMan Half
Nice job toughing it out! Even though it may not have been the result you wanted, at least you can use it next time it gets tough. If you could finish that, you can finish anything.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Coliseum Rock 'N RollMan Half Rss Feed