General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ashland Olympic Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-07 8:30 PM

User image

Regular
Waltham
Subject: Ashland Olympic Tri
Hi.

I've just decided I should do the Ashland Oly to make up for Mooseman (which I didn't race after it was delayed and modified due to t-storms).  Has anyone out there done this race???  I'd greatly appreciate any feedback on the course, especially T1 with the apparent 1/3m uphill trail run?  Should I bring some kind of shoes for that?  Are the bike/run pretty flat?  Anyone else racing this?

Thanks in advance for any input! 

2010-06-07 9:19 PM
in reply to: #2906980

User image

Extreme Veteran
Medway, MA
Subject: RE: Ashland Olympic Tri
I have not done this tri, but I ride that area frequently. The uphill from Holliston to Hopkinton along Prentice St. and then Rt 85 north kind of carries on and on - looks like you'll have to do this twice. There is a hill from Rt 135 going up to Chestnut too. And from Chestnut out of the Warren center. In other words, I would not call the course flat.

Is that 2 loops on the run? If so, South street is a pretty good hill - downhill on the way out, uphill on the way back. The running section up Spring street is where my rear wheel starts slipping when it's wet - that's how steep that (small) section is. At the top of the hill is a downhill past the Y, which you'll have to run back up on the way back. Yes, this looks like quite a hilly run. 

Good luck!

2010-06-08 8:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm not doing the oly, but am doing the sprint. Late start to the season so I wanted to start with a shorter race. Anyhow, I live literally 1 minute from the Warren Center. The bike course is definitely rolling hills with some sections of long hills, which was mentioned above. It basically starts uphill. I find the hills leading to Rt.85 the toughest. Once you hit Rt 135 there are a lot of downhill stretches. I rode it Monday morning and I hit 39MPH twice on 135. The sprint it only one lap and the oly is two.

Run course starts out going the same direction as the bike but you will take a hard right downhill on South St. I run in this area all the time and it is pretty hilly too. I actually ran the sprint course, which I believe is the same as the Oly (Oly is twice), and there are some hills for sure. It's an out and back course. Should be well shaded as it's in a densely wooded area with homes.

Now, the crazy run to T1. I have not done this race so I don't know for sure but if it's from the Warren Center beach to the area next to the tennis courts, it's going to suck. I run with my dog around the park and that stretch sucks. I may bring a pair of water shoes to throw on.
If anyone has done this race can you tell me if you actually run through the wooded area and then into the field or up the steps behind/in front of the actual buildings and then into the field?

2010-06-08 8:57 AM

User image

Regular
lowell
I did the Ashland Oly last year. It's a really well put together race.

Definitely bring water shoes or flip flops for T1, the lake is pretty far from the transition area. The lake is also down a little hill, so after swimming it isn't Ideal. 

The bike course is a nice mix of hills.

The run is a hilly out and back, nicely shaded tho.

Good luck with it! 
2010-06-08 7:07 PM

User image

Regular
Waltham
Thanks so much for everyone/s input!  I will definitely be getting a cheap pair of water shoes or something to use and the uphill climb out of the Swim will be good practice for Pumpkinman's hill climb challenge out of the water as well.   Now, if I can only make the thunderstorm icon disappear on the Sunday forecast!  
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ashland Olympic Tri Rss Feed