Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-06-07 9:40 PM

User image

Delaware, OH
Subject: Deer Creek
Huah? My report is gone? Well let me sum it up for you.  BOP.  This was my B or maybe C race- first tri of the season for me. 

The race was postponed by 30 mins due to thunder/lightning.  I met DDiamond on the beach and we hopped in for a little warm up swim.  Got out of the water, found some other BTers and lol'ed at DavidTri's and BananaToes's pink speedos. 

Swim started (choppy), was my WORST. SWIM. EVER. (I give up!  I'm getting a wet suit!) and I got kicked in the head.  Twice.  By the same breast stroking .  Not happy.  What I have learned?  Get out in front of the mass of "oh lets just mosey along and then whine when I try to swim over you" crowd.  Got out of the water, posed for a picture taken by Alice and trotted up the hill.

Coming into T1 (running up that damn hill) I had my first "Don't give up now! You can do it!" from a FRACKING spectator.  Really all I wanted to do was to kick her in the head.  But I'm pretty sure that gives you a uber penalty and I didn't really want to DNF a race so moving on into T1 it was.

Ah the bike.  What can I say about the bike?  WIND!  The first 3 miles I was pushing 19mph which for me is AMAZING coming right out of T1.  I'm normally 14mph so maybe we had a tail wind?  At the time I thought I was the bees knees.  I was passing people and quite happy about it.  Yeah.  Then i turned the corner and slowed down to the before mentioned 14mph due to the extreme headwind.

Edited by k_watzek 2010-06-07 9:50 PM

2010-06-07 10:03 PM
in reply to: #2907118

User image

Delaware, OH
Subject: RE: Deer Creek Sprint Tri
Moving on, the bike was pretty rough.  I had only biked any distance about 4 times this year and it's clear to me that isn't the best of training plans.  So with that in mind my hills were bad.  I am no longer afraid of going down hill fast- so on the two downhills I tucked and let mother nature take my 175lbs down that hill as fast as my little legs could take me.  I ran out of gears.  But the uphills were killer.  Headwinds+lack of training=11mph.  ICK! 

HEY KATE?!?  MAYBE YOU SHOULD TRAIN MORE?!?!?

Oh thanks, self!  What a great idea.  Anyhoo the wet ground made my nervous nelly bike handling really wobbly going around the corners.  I'm sure glad I didn't wipe out....or wipe anyone else out. 

T2 was T2.  I lost time by 1. wearing wet socks and 2. putting said sock on backwards and taking said sock off and putting it back on.  Ugh.  I need to learn to run races without socks.  My spouse attempted to talk to me while I was in T2.  UGH!  Just shut up and ring a damn cow bell next time.  My life needs more cowbell.

The run.  What can I say about the run?  I didn't run or stretch enough leading up to the race so the GRIP had me until the turn around.  I hate running through grass and standing water and had to do both.  At the turn around I was able to open up a bit and lost the old lady shuffle.  I was pleased.  As my trademark finishing move I opened it up at the final straightaway and as usual almost knocked over the chip-collectors.  Hey, my booty is made of fast twitch and it wants its 30 seconds of tri spotlight just when my small collection of slow twitch muscles give up for the day.

Finish time 1:51:16  Solid BOP 14th out of 15 Women's 30-34 division. 
2010-06-07 10:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Great job, Kate. You were looking strong when I saw you heading out on the run.

LOL at the "FRACKING spectator" story!

Edited by DLaw 2010-06-07 10:17 PM
2010-06-07 10:18 PM
in reply to: #2907207

User image

Delaware, OH
DLaw - 2010-06-07 11:14 PM Great job, Kate. You were looking strong when I saw you heading out on the run.

LOL at the "FRACKING spectator" story!

Gee thanks!  That was my "I'm not gonna cry in front of the photog" face. 
2010-06-07 10:40 PM

User image

Delaware, OH
A Few Things I Have Learned from Sunday's Race

1. I'm giving up and buying a wetsuit.  If everyone else has the advantage, I want it to dammit.
  2. Even though this is a triathlon, there will always be some douchelord who thinks drafting is ok.
  3. Apparently some TOP people think it's ok to cut the course.  I was sorta shocked at that.
  4. I am starting the swim in the front of the pack from now on.  People can go around ME next race.
  5. I need more cowbell
  6. Random people will say "Go BT!" to me.  That rocks my world.  I love my BT Peeps, I love the community here and I love that we see each other 3 times a year but we still all encourage each other and cheer and have a good time.  That's the kind of community that I love.  I love slapping hands and bumping fists with my fellow BTers- DDiamond really made my day when I saw her on the run and it was great seeing Scott on the bike....that is just awesome.  I know I saw Dlaw on the run and I think I saw David tris (how can you miss his Pink suit?) on the end of lap 1 for his OLY.  That's the kind of encouragement I like and need.
  7. I really don't like that my cuss words are edited out of my RR.  Srsly?  I just  have to get more creative about my cussin'.  Maybe that was why my RR was deleted?  I don't know.
What I don't like is when some random person (normally a skinny chick) is passing me on the run and says "keep it up!"  or "You can do it" or "don't quit".  I really don't need to be your scapegoat to make you feel better about how super fast YOU are running.  I mean really, does anyone stop and think how it makes us fat kids feel?  I'll tell you.  I am here to race.  Treat me like a fellow competitor.  Take me seriously- I take TRIs seriously.  Sure I may be fat and slow (to you) but I am not the person I was two years ago.  This is not a bucket list item- I'm here to race.  In other words if you feel the need to say something, I like "wooo BT" just fine, thanks.

Maybe I'll just carry around a cow bell with me on the run next race?  Everyone enjoys more cowbell...and it makes me smile.
2010-06-07 10:54 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus
I thought about you guys all night Saturday and early Sunday morning--as I woke up between thunderstorms.  I'm surprised it wasn't delayed longer! 

I loved reading your "report"!  You did a great job! 

2010-06-07 11:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, OH
AWESOME and very entertaining! I would have wanted to kick that spectator too. What an idiot! I can't wait to do my first sprint with all of you. Hopin' for the Toyota!
2010-06-08 1:56 PM
in reply to: #2907181

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Awesome Job Kate! More cow bell is right! Thanks for showing me the swim course and dragging me in for a quick warm-up swim - I was amazed that the water was warmer than the air. It was great to finally meet you!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Rss Feed