Montana Campus Contact
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 06m 3s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 5/5
Pre-race routine:

Yogurt smoothie and stress over the cold weather. My first Olympic tri and I'm going to be the only one without a wetsuit. And I hate ponds. Loaded up our bikes and headed for the hills.
Event warmup:

Warm...haha. Actually, I just kept my sweats on and hoped that I could warm up while swimming.
Swim
  • 28m 5s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

I hadn't been in a pool in over a year. Luckily, the pond temperature was actually higher than the air temperature, and the fact that I didn't have a wetsuit (but we really were the only two who didn't) was actually a benefit...I didn't have to wrangle it off. I thought I could just swim the same way I normally do in a pool, and at one point I crashed into a low area with a bunch of lilly pads and totally freaked out. Someone in a kayak was coming for me, but I just kicked off and kept going...I know! I'm lost! I spent some time swimming backstroke, too, since I just couldn't breathe.
What would you do differently?:

I definitely need to do more open water swimming, or at least learn how to sight. I should get over the fact that triathlon swimming is just NOTHING like real competitive swimming.
Transition 1
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

I have never done this before. I was still shaking from the swim because of the adrenaline, and I didn't realize how hard it would be to change clothes here. I had wanted to put a shirt on, but I decided not to because I was still soaking wet. I had also wanted to put socks on, but I couldn't get my numb fingers to work, so I just stuck my feet in and left.

Be more organized about transitions...but it was my first, and I learned a lot.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 52s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.99 mile/hr
Comments:

I wish I had had the forethought to bring sunglasses, or realized that I wasn't confident enough on my bike yet to be able to wrangle a water bottle out of the cage on the frame. I had a half liter with me, but I didn't drink a tablespoon of it the entire race. The longest ride I had ever done with this new bike had been 25 miles the week before, and this one sucked. I was not at all prepared for it and it showed, but considering my lack of training, not half bad.

Ride a bike once in awhile. Bring the right gear and figure out how to drink while riding.
Transition 2
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

Again, not sure what I was doing. I had to put socks on, and I couldn't run in just the sports bra and swim suit top and bike shorts (Argh, tummy). I put on a cotton t-shirt, and soon realized why triathletes don't wear cotton...sticky, chafey, doesn't dry, billowy, and annoying. I did eat some shot blocks on the way out, which may or may not have helped me.

Not have to tie shoes and have more appropriate triathlon gear.
Run
  • 1h 09m 51s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

This felt awful. It was the longest consecutive run I have ever done in my life, and I hated every second of it. I wish I had thought to bring an iPod so at least I could have thought about anything other than my own pain and failure to get oxygen.

Train a brick. My first Olympic tri was not the ideal place to see how it felt to run after a 25 mile bike ride. Get back in decent running shape.
Post race
Warm down:

Wandered around and ate some oranges, drank the water I should have had during the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't train for this at all. I just wanted to see if I was capable of finishing this.

Event comments:

Hey, I'm glad I did it. My plan was to finish in 3 hours, and those extra few minutes were all in my transitions. Weirdly, I can't wait for the next one.

Last updated: 2010-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:05 | 1640 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri shorts and a swim suit top + sports bra
Course: Annoying, lilly-pad filled diamond that we had to loop twice...you have to get out and get back in to swim it the second time.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:57
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:22:52 | 24.85 miles | 17.99 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/5
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Super flat out and back times two. Once you got to the end of the course, you had to round a cone and it was really tight. I had to unclip one of my feet to steer around and get going again or else I would have fallen.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:18
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:09:51 | 06.21 miles | 11m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/5
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back around the Frenchtown pond. Super flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes