United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 5s
Overall Rank = 196/253
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

Got up early and left early. Drank a bottle of carrot juice on the drive down (140 calories). Had to drag husband out of bed. Arrived with enough time to explain the whole situation to husband (actually very calming for nerves) and pee 4 times before I had to be anywhere. Organized my stuff, got marked, scoped out the transition area, drank the rest of the carrot juice, tested the water, and waited.
Event warmup:

I'm a swimmer, so it's easy for me to work too hard on the swim - I hate people on my feet, and I hate being on other people's feet...I want to be far in front. Because of this, I decided not to warm up since I was planning on relying on my swim skills to cruise through the first part. The swim is my warm up. :) I did stretch my shoulders a little, though.
Swim
  • 10m 33s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

Again, hate drafting...don't touch my feet! I breathed well, stuck with once every three strokes so I was switching sides, and I sighted well. I stayed pretty much on a direct line to the buoys, and breast stroke kicked with my head up when I needed to get around them in a crush of people. The men left the beach three minutes before the women, but I started passing the stragglers and then the back of the pack before I hit the first buoy.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I'm glad I didn't wear a wet suit - trying to get in and out of it wouldn't have been worth it given the temperature. I don't really need one to swim well.
Transition 1
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

I'm always slow on this transition because I feel like I'm still stuck in a groove from the swim. Like, if you asked me what my mom's name was when I got out of the water, I'd have to think. So I thought I laid out my gear pretty well considering my mental funk...I put on my helmet and sunglasses first, put my camelbak water bottle in my mouth and drank while I brushed off sand and put on my shoes, put down teh water, and then I was gone.

There was sand still in my shoes, but that didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. It would be nice to have a second towel on hand for that. Maybe I should learn how to start with my shoes in my clips 'cause I did struggle to get my feet clipped in and get going at first.
Bike
  • 48m 42s
  • 14.4 miles
  • 17.74 mile/hr
Comments:

At one point, I was worried that I was exhausting my legs by doing some standing climbs, but then I decided that the run would be awful no matter what I did, so I just raced my heart out on the bike. I got passed by some of the more advanced racers (including the men that I had passed in the swim :) pretty early in the bike ride, but then I fell into the pack and traded places with a few people until we made it back. I like to ride in a really high gear which is dumb, but I spent a good portion of the second half of the ride over 30 miles an hour. Every time I downshifted, I tried to click one more time than I thought I needed to in order to try to spin more.

Nothing during the bike, but I was on very tired legs for the run. I need to work on both standing and seated climbs. I was also only wearing a swim suit - my sit bones were aching about halfway through. It didn't throw me off, but it wasn't comfortable. I didn't drink anything while I was riding at all (I am just not coordinated enough), but this didn't seem to hurt me at all.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Thought my legs were going to scream the second I unclipped and hopped off, but nothing too extreme. My legs weren't fresh, but they weren't numb like they were during my first triathlon.

My feet were still sandy and I don't wear socks with my bike shoes, so I spent some time brushing my feet and putting socks on before I slid my feet into my shoes. Wore my old Adidas that I don't untie, so that was quick. I had run the whole race with my HRM strap on, but I didn't want to take my watch into the water. I made it halfway from the rack to the end of transition before I realized I had forgotten my watch...I ran back to get it. I really wanted it, and I was glad I had it.
Run
  • 33m 8s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 10m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

Didn't really drink much because I hate being sloshy. I could talk to people so my breathing was fine, but my legs were just tired. I should have checked the map of the run beforehand so I knew what to expect. Also, people had music, which I thought was not allowed...I would have loved to have had my iPod. I had been trading places with one guy the whole race, so when we hit the last 100 yards, I sprinted and almost threw up, so I knew I was putting in just as much effort as I possibly could the whole time. I'm not satisfied with the run, but it was definitely what I was expecting.

Adjust my race belt so it wasn't riding up so much. There's not much I can do other than running more and training the bricks...the run just isn't my strength at all.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a lot of water right away to stave off nausea, then jumped into husband's arms. Walked around a little bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. I need to do some bricks and more long-distance runs.

Event comments:

The live music and food were great. I had a great time and felt good during and after. And I took 3rd place in my division!

Last updated: 2010-06-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:33 | 880 yards | 01m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 47/253
Performance: Good
Suit: Knee-length Speedo Fast suit
Course: Open water, Mystic harbor, triangle course. Water was supposed to be cold, but felt great. Shallow for awhile, then dropped off deep - many people walked out as far as they could, and once they could touch bottom, they walked back in. Cheaters! Also, why wade like that and use your hips when you can focus all your effort on your arms and shoulders? You won't need to use them again...
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:18
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:48:42 | 14.4 miles | 17.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 197/253
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: It wasn't flat...I'm still a Midwestern girl. It was supposed to be flat and I had to climb, which is not a strength of mine. The course was amazingly well marked with volunteers everywhere, which made it safe and easy. The roads were not in perfect condition, so you really had to pay attention to stay out of the cracks and pot holes. The second half of the course was FAST.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:08 | 03.2 miles | 10m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 258/253
Performance: Below average
Averaged 182, which is way too high. With my HRM, I tried to stay at 170, which is my comfortable endurance heart rate, but I had to alternate a shuffle and a walk to keep it under 190. I settled at 180 and tried not to go over that since there was no way I was going to be able to even shuffle at 170.
Course: Annoying! The first water table was right out of the transition, which is fine, and I hit the second table at 5:30 into the run. The volunteers were saying "halfway there," which I knew couldn't be true...I know how fast I was running. The third table was at a fork in the road, and you had to take the right fork, round a cone, come back to the fork, take the left fork, round a cone, and then come back. You never really knew how much farther down the residential roads you had to go before you could start heading back. I kept thinking that I was almost halfway, and then that I was heading back, and that was never really accurate.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-06-08 2:00 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Bragg, NC
Subject: Mystic River Valley Triathlon

2010-06-13 8:29 PM
in reply to: #2908784

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
Subject: RE: Mystic River Valley Triathlon
Great RR! I'm still amazed at how fast you swim. I'd be one of those "guys". When i was going thru the timing gate  with my bike i heard some one yell "you're the second women", ya, not me, one of the women that started 3 minutes after me.  And that was only a 600yd swim.

That whole run in circles at the fork thing sounded confusing! I got dizzy reading it.

Nice Race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mystic River Valley Triathlon Rss Feed