United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 06m 44s
Overall Rank = 1028/2100
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 170/220
Event warmup:

Nothing really. Used the bathroom. Talked with some friends and sat with my wife and kids for a little while.
Swim
  • 41m 54s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started on the back right side of the wave. The treading water start was something new to me but it really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I was playing around with my Garmin when the horn went off so I wasn't exactly ready. I got hit and hit some people but overall it wasn't too bad. The way out seemed to take forever and the red buoys were hard to see with the sun glare. The green and orange buoys were much easier to navigate. I had a little trouble swimming a straight line but my breathing was good and I thought my stroke was good as well. overall okay will my swim. I would have liked to break 40 mins but it didn't happen. Had a little trouble getting out of the water and they could have made the mats into the water a little wider so we didn't have to walk on the rocks.
What would you do differently?:

Been ready at the start of the swim when the gun went off. Run up the ramp instead of walk.
Transition 1
  • 05m 28s
Comments:

I ended up walking out of the water into the transition area as I was a little fatigued. Probably should of ran a little bit. I struggled getting the wetsuit off and the strippers would have been helpful if they would of had them. I screwed around at my bike making sure I had everything and took way more time than I needed to. Fumbled around getting my helmet and shoes and sunscreen on. Probably took twice as long as it needed.

Get the hell out of the transition area.
Bike
  • 3h 03m 23s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.32 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt really good on the bike. I biked the course back in April and it took around 3:48, so I knocked off about 45 mins this year. Pretty solid effort. I didn't think I pushed the pace too hard and felt good churning as fast as I was. About 15 miles left my lower left side of my back started to tighten up and really struggled with that on the way back in. The water stops were good and catching the water bottles from the volunteers was something new for me but I learned pretty well to slow way down. It took a little while to figure out how to fill my aero bottle as I had gatorade all over me, my handlebars, and the bike. The last hill coming up the dam was a struggle but I knew that going into the race. It was brutal but I took it at little chunks at a time. Overall pleased with my effort on the bike. I think there are some things that I can do to get better. Stayed in the big ring much of the course with the exceptions of some of the larger hills but felt really comfortable in the big ring.

Need a little more help on filling aero bottle on the fly. Really pleased with my effort.
Transition 2
  • 04m 47s
Comments:

I was a little disoriented getting off of the bike and I forgot where my rack spot was. Once I found the spot, i couldn't remember which side I had to go down, so that cost me some time. Also, it took a little while to get my socks on as I was leaning up against the rack. I coiled the socks up so they slid onto my feet but I still was a little fatigued and it took a little longer. Grabbed my gel and put it in my back pouch then had to run back bc it was heavy and I didn't want to carry that much back there. Maybe try gel packets next time. When I went back, couldn't find my rack and ran down the wrong side, so I was all over the place, definitely cost me some time. Should not have taken as long as I did to get in and out of there. Definitely room for improvement.

Remember where the rack position is and which side to go down. Also, have gel packets instead of the flask for the run. Pick up the pace and get the hell out of the transistion area.
Run
  • 2h 11m 12s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

What is there to say?? I felt like total shit on the run. I wasn't bonking but I felt really bad. Not sure how I ran the time I did because I walked every aid station from front to back and still couldn't seem to cool down. I drank everything in sight but couldn't get enough. I couldn't handle anymore gatorade but took a little each time just to keep my electrolytes up. I used endurolytes but I can't remember how many I had taken. My back was still bothering me as well. I just didn't have it on the run. Not sure if it was because I pushed as hard as I did on the bike but I didn't feel like I did. I just couldn't keep my feet moving. The first loop of the run wasn't bad but the 2nd loop was brutal for me.

Not sure because I am not sure what went wrong. Keep gel packets with me instead of trying to use the flask.
Post race
Warm down:

Wanted to get a massage but the line was too long and I wanted to be out of the heat, so I sat in the ice water tank. That felt absolutely wonderful.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not sure what limited my ability. I had a severe back pain and not sure what caused that. I thought my training was right on for this race but I just didn't have it on the run.

Event comments:

Good event. Will probably do it again next year. The heat was brutal all weekend but the atmosphere was really good. I had a goal of 7 hours coming into the race and finished at 6:06, so I was really pleased with the effort. Once I knew I had a shot at 6 hrs, I tried pushing a little harder but just couldn't muster up the energy. Overall performance I am happy with for my first time at this distance.

Last updated: 2009-08-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:54 | 2112 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 161/220
Overall: 1081/2100
Performance: Average
Suit: X-Terra Vortex Sleeveless
Course: U-shape with turns on your left
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:28
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:03:23 | 56 miles | 18.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/220
Overall: 0/2100
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: Out and back around county roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:47
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:11:12 | 13.1 miles | 10m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 170/220
Overall: 1028/2100
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loops around the campground. 1 mile uphill and then 1.5 miles downhill, and then 1 mile back up hill to a flat course around the campground.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-08 3:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Iowa
Subject: Ironman Kansas 70.3

2010-06-08 4:06 PM
in reply to: #2909137

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: RE: Ironman Kansas 70.3
Congrats on finishing your first 70.3 race and hanging tough on the run!
2010-06-08 5:01 PM
in reply to: #2909227

User image

Veteran
Iowa
Thanks....run was brutal for me and that is usually my best event....I was happy to have a great bike but the run was just a disaster...liked the event and will most likely be back next year.....congrats on your race as well.
2010-06-08 5:07 PM
in reply to: #2909137

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
EXCELLENT!!!! It was definitely tough with the heat on the run, but you pulled through!
I did not see the ice bath station, wish I would have

Congrats!

2010-06-09 7:28 AM
in reply to: #2909368

User image

Veteran
Iowa
The ice bath was definitely worth it.  I believe we passed each other on the run, if that was you wearing the skirt and wand.  I wasn't exactly in the mood to give you a shout out as I was mostly trying to keep from looking at the ground!!!  Good luck in Madison...I think I will be volunteering this year and racing in 2011.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Kansas 70.3 Rss Feed