View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake Mills, Wisconsin
United States
Total Time = 1h 20m 44s
Overall Rank = 93/369
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 13/29
Pre-race routine:

Standard, register, rack back, set up transition, warm up, stretch, tell myself that I will beat everyone somehow and go out and do it.
Event warmup:

Ran to warm up muscles then stretched out on beach.
Swim
  • 07m 53s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

I have never done a sprint so with the swim being a 440 yard swim I thought I would place myself right there in the front row middle and see how things went. I was 10th out of the water in my AG so I think I could have been a bit further back, but I would rather be swam past then have to swim past others. Water was really warm, but choppy as well which made it hard to swim and I never found a good rhythm, breathed only on my left instead of bilateral breathing, but I didn't really need to sight and just drafted off a guy in front of me and swam stroke for stroke with someone next to me. First 100 yards had a fair amount of bouncing around and what not, but whats not to expect in OWS. Wanted to be out under 7 minutes, but everyone's swim time was about 30-40 seconds slower then last year so I'll take it.
What would you do differently?:

Work on breathing and starting off with a good pace and finding an early rhythm.
Transition 1
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

Holy crap this was bad. I got out of the water and felt my HR sky high. Ran to my bike and ran a rack too far, but once I got to my bike I needed to just stop a stand and gather myself for about 10-15 seconds. I was dizzy, and seeing stars and thought I would be better off just taking my time.

Need to work on T1 and keeping my composure through it.
Bike
  • 46m 40s
  • 16 miles
  • 20.57 mile/hr
Comments:

Not too much to report here. Passed alot of the novice bikers and saw a few people in my wave that I passed and for awhile didn't see anyone anywhere in my wave on the bike, thought for awhile I might be in the lead or close to it at least. Don't know if I would say I went my hardest or really hammered it. I felt like the other day I did for sure, but I felt like maybe I held back just a little bit. Got passed by about 3 people in my wave in the final couple miles, but I had one hell of a dismount on my bike including shoes on pedals and perfectly landed flying dismount. Felt pretty good to do infront of all those spectators.

Maybe push a little harder and hammer it more in that short distance?
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

I always nail this transition starting with that awesome dismount I just got done bragging about above. Racked bike, put shoes on and I was off very simple.

Nothing but get a little faster with it.
Run
  • 22m 37s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

I wanted to run under 22:00 and I knew that was going to come down to the last mile. I found a good rhythm and pace early in the run and was able to knock out the first mile at 7:10. I felt even stronger on the second mile and was able to stretch my legs out a bit and clocked in 7:00 even. The third mile is where my wheels came off. I have a loss of energy and my stride shortened. I am not sure why this was but I got passed by about 5 people in my wave in the last half mile which was a bit disappointing but I am still happy about the run anyway. I did have a side cramp during the run a little bit that started towards the end of the bike. I think this may be from needing to go to the bathroom during the race or having too much liquid in me.

Run faster.
Post race
Event comments:

Love the sprint distance and going as fast as I can. I still think I held back a little bit, but I am excited to PR this time soon and do this race again next year.

Last updated: 2009-09-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:53 | 440 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/29
Overall: 63/369
Performance:
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3
Course: Counter clockwise swim along shore
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:27
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:46:40 | 16 miles | 20.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/29
Overall: 0/369
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:37 | 03.1 miles | 07m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/29
Overall: 156/369
Performance:
Course: Out and back on the Ice Age Trail with lots of shade.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?