2010-06-11 2:27 PM
in reply to: #2911884

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Subject: RE: What Did I Do To Myself
pilotzs - 2010-06-09 2:34 PM

kbsnow - 2010-06-09 3:59 PM
COSkiGirl - 2010-06-09 11:51 AM This seems to be an excellent article regarding heat related issues.

http://www.youcanbefit.com/hydra.html

Great article.Thanks for that.

Very good article.  Lots of good information in this thread. 

After reading thru the article and some information here, seems like I probably had the possible beginnings of heat exhaustion.  I'll be on the watch for this?

Any suggestions about how to ward off the heat exhaustion before it develops?  I don't seem to have this problem while training, only during the run portion of the two sprint Tri's.

Heat exhaustion is like dehydration. By the time it occurs, it's too late to do anything, and what could have prevented it should have happened long ago. If it's happening on the run, and not in training, I'd be looking at your hydration strategy on the bike leg. Also, what kind of helmet do you have? I have a very open helmet, and I'll wear a rudy project skull beanie under it, and occasionally pour water over it. I'll replace it with a white tech cap for the run.

If it's happening during the triathlon, but not during training, start looking at what you are doing different in a race than you are in training. See if you can remember how much and when you drank on the bike portion, and your pre race nutrition.

The old Sesame Street song "One of these things is not like the other one" (Or was that Electric Company?) comes to mind, figure it out. :D

John

2010-06-11 4:57 PM
in reply to: #2916325

User image

Expert
Alabama
tkd.teacher - 2010-06-11 2:27 PM
pilotzs - 2010-06-09 2:34 PM

kbsnow - 2010-06-09 3:59 PM
COSkiGirl - 2010-06-09 11:51 AM This seems to be an excellent article regarding heat related issues.

http://www.youcanbefit.com/hydra.html

Great article.Thanks for that.

Very good article.  Lots of good information in this thread. 

After reading thru the article and some information here, seems like I probably had the possible beginnings of heat exhaustion.  I'll be on the watch for this?

Any suggestions about how to ward off the heat exhaustion before it develops?  I don't seem to have this problem while training, only during the run portion of the two sprint Tri's.

Heat exhaustion is like dehydration. By the time it occurs, it's too late to do anything, and what could have prevented it should have happened long ago. If it's happening on the run, and not in training, I'd be looking at your hydration strategy on the bike leg. Also, what kind of helmet do you have? I have a very open helmet, and I'll wear a rudy project skull beanie under it, and occasionally pour water over it. I'll replace it with a white tech cap for the run.

If it's happening during the triathlon, but not during training, start looking at what you are doing different in a race than you are in training. See if you can remember how much and when you drank on the bike portion, and your pre race nutrition.

The old Sesame Street song "One of these things is not like the other one" (Or was that Electric Company?) comes to mind, figure it out. :D

John

I wear a white skull cap on the bike, under my helmet.  I typically do not pour anything on my head.  Drank 1 bottle of water and 1 Gaterade on the bike leg, which is all I could carry currently, seemed like plenty for a sprint.  Maybe I didn't hydrate well enough in the days leading up.  During the run, I was wearing a black visor, maybe I should look into a white one.  I hydrated as much as possible with the water stations on the run. 

I drink basically the same things during training with no problems.  Of course, it was a very hot day, probably not used to the heat either.

2010-06-11 5:31 PM
in reply to: #2911669

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras

Bingo!!!

I think you are right on the money with this statement.  Last summer during a HIM build, I had numerous issues with training (especially with my long rides/bricks).  I'm a South FL athlete as well and a super profuse sweater, so I thought that perhaps I wasn't drinking enough.  I was drinking around 40oz of fluid (liquid calories) per hour on my long rides, sometimes even more.  When that didn't snap me out of it, I tried messing around with salt and then messing around with calories.  I did this all summer long and right up until Augusta 70.3.  I never did figure it out.

This year, as soon as we had a string of 90+ degree days (remember that one week in mid-April this year?), it was like a bad dream all over again!  I even posted a 'help' post on here!  Folks gave lots of thoughtful tips regarding hydration, salt intake, etc... 

Right before Florida 70.3 I got some VERY good advice from a Hawaii based triathlete about stuffing myself with ice (bra, cap, shorts) every chance that I got.  The only reason why I finished FL 70.3 on two feet was because I used ice at every aid station.  I was stuffed top to bottom with it.  Since then I have been using ice on every one of my training runs.  If I'm leaving from home, I make a 3-4 mile loop and re-stuff myself.  If I'm running at a remote location, I pack a cooler and do the same thing (3-4 mile loops).  I cannot even begin to describe what a difference using ice has made for me.  My HR drops, my energy returns... it's really incredible.  I'm still trying to figure out how to manage using ice for long bike rides, but I've got some ideas.

I'm not a doc, so what I'm writing here is just based upon my own personal experience.  Bottom line:  If you are exercising in 90+ weather with high humidity, you pretty much lose the benefit of evaporative cooling (air is already saturated, so it doesn't wick the sweat off of your skin to cool you).  It is well known that you cannot replace every ounce of fluid that you lose via sweat through increased hydration.  Both of these things result in an elevated core temperature which needs to be cooled using outside methods (like either walking, calling it a day and finding shade or by using ice to cool your core if you want to continue exercising).  Getting a good jump on cooling is super important too.  I stuff myself with ice 'before' I leave the house.

**Of special note, pouring cool water over your head or back may feel good, but the coolness doesn't last long enough to cool your core temp.  In addition, with high humidity, that cool water (which will turn warm pretty much instantaneously) ends up sitting on your skin just like sweat would.  It will not evaporate and it will not help to cool you.  This is the same reason why performance "wicking" fabrics work very well in dry climates (they use your sweat to promote evaporative cooling), but do nothing in humid climates to help keep you cool.  I'm sure there will be those who disagree, but this is pretty much how it is in my So. FL world.

To the OP:  Take care of yourself out there.

Yep, that sounds just like me, a fellow super sweater in hot humid climates. I will try the ice strategy, because even running at 6 in the afternoon, but the time 1km has gone by I am soaked. My shoes are squishing anyway, so a little more water should not hurt.... The only thing worrying me here is... I wonder what size bra I will have to start wearing to keep some ice in my chest ;-)
2010-06-12 10:56 AM
in reply to: #2910203

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
You drank 80 oz of liquids when you got home and had a bagel.  At 16 oz a pound and being 1.5 lbs lighter after the race than before, you lost 7.5 to 8 pounds.  Depending on your weight, you lost a significant % of your body weight and were into a dangerous region.  I'm wondering if you drank enough before the race and were dehydrated at the start.  This has happened to me a couple of times.
2010-06-12 12:32 PM
in reply to: #2917369

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
nickster - 2010-06-12 8:56 AM You drank 80 oz of liquids when you got home and had a bagel.  At 16 oz a pound and being 1.5 lbs lighter after the race than before, you lost 7.5 to 8 pounds.  Depending on your weight, you lost a significant % of your body weight and were into a dangerous region.  I'm wondering if you drank enough before the race and were dehydrated at the start.  This has happened to me a couple of times.

After reading his response, I'm inclined to agree, started out dehydrated. A bottle of water and a bottle of gatorade should be more than plenty for a sprint (More than I use, anyway). I think you are dead on.

John
2010-06-12 2:35 PM
in reply to: #2917454

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
tkd.teacher - 2010-06-12 1:32 PM
nickster - 2010-06-12 8:56 AM You drank 80 oz of liquids when you got home and had a bagel.  At 16 oz a pound and being 1.5 lbs lighter after the race than before, you lost 7.5 to 8 pounds.  Depending on your weight, you lost a significant % of your body weight and were into a dangerous region.  I'm wondering if you drank enough before the race and were dehydrated at the start.  This has happened to me a couple of times.

After reading his response, I'm inclined to agree, started out dehydrated. A bottle of water and a bottle of gatorade should be more than plenty for a sprint (More than I use, anyway). I think you are dead on.

John

Interesting conclusion, and it makes sense.  It's a good example of why hydration in the days leading up to a race is an important part of pre-race preparation.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What Did I Do To Myself Rss Feed  

of 2