Well, it's really my second, but my first was 15 years ago when I was an Elite Swimmer.... Many years and pounds ago...
Anyway.. I have quite a few questions, mostly regarding gear I'll need:
- It's only 1/4 mile, so not much needed here. Just my goggles and suit, right?
- Do I bike and run in my swim suit? Should I get a triathlon specific suit?
- Do you recommend I go out and buy biking shoes, or will my running shoes suffice?
- Do I need to wear socks?
- I have a hybrid Trek 7300FX bike. Does it make sense to get Aero Bars?
- This is definitely my weakest leg. My 243lbs. make it pretty hard on my legs, but my training has really done wonders. Two months ago I couldn't run over 2 min. without stopping. Now I'm up to 3 1/2 miles run/walk. I'm sure I won't be able to run all 3 miles (pathetic, but true), so I plan on walking to warm up, then running about 1 1/2 miles, and then walk/run to finish.
- Again, do I run with socks?
- Other than water, do you recommend anything like Gel Packs?
- If so, where do triathletes carry their food? A bike pouch?
- Race it at 7AM. What would be a good breakfast before the race?
- Do I leave all the gear in the transition area?
- When should I apply suntan lotion? Before the swim?
I apolozie for the many stupid questions and thank you in advance!!!
my advice would be to read what everyone else is about to say, but remember to come back and tell us how great you did so that those of us who weigh 243lbs and are three months away from our tri and can barely run will feel encouraged and feel like they can do it.