Revolution 3 Productions
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 16m 13s
Overall Rank = 392/683
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 67/104
Pre-race routine:

Did the Olympic Rev on Saturday, then had to pull my bike out of transition while they rearranged in for the HIM and couldn't check it back in until 2:00pm. So I hung out at the Trakker's booth, gave away some First Endurance Products and caught a short nap, before checking my bike in and heading back to the hotel. Set up all my stuff right away, then got a nap in from 5-10pm called home and then went back to bed. Got up at 5:00 am again, got packed up, had some breakfast and off to Quazzy. Got in at about 6:10 and got set up and wetsuit on. The booted us out of transition at 6;30 today but i was done. I had issues putting my flat kit on the Kestral but besides flopping around a bit it stuck around for the ride.
Event warmup:

Another 10 min swim and goggle adjust and float around untill the yelled at us to get out of the water. The pro started at 6:50 and that was cool to watch, then the female pros started at 6:53. They even showed they can be human as one of them forgot her timing chip and then had to hustle to get her one in time (which they did). I was in the 5th wave today. So I watch the next two wave head out and got in he corral.
Swim
  • 39m 4s
  • 2310 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

Things were more spread out yesterday but again there was a clump to the left side of the corral so I went to the right and a few rows back. A bit rougher of a start as I got boxed in early and banged into a couple of people as we weaved through the first leg. I was dead on each yellow bouy and the red buoys and I finally got out of the box and grabbed on to some feet and moved along well. I started running into folks from the earlier waves which were a challenge since I didn't want to swim over them but I was on top of them in a hurry. On the way over the lake we were going straight into the sun so there were alot of people weaving around, but i found the yellow buoys each time and made a good line to them. Got run into alot this leg. On the leg back i actually had to duck under the corner of the buoy to stay out of someones way. I started day dreaming on the way back and lost focus for a while but then finally got my head back and pushed the last 150 or so yards. Good relaxed swim
What would you do differently?:

Avoid getting boxed in so badly and stay focused.
Transition 1
  • 03m 52s
Comments:

Another long run up to transition and had some issues with my left wetsuit leg but not bad. Had to load up my gel flask and pump and spray on sunscreen but still had about the same time as yesterday so not bad T1.

Mount my flat kit and bring my bento box.
Bike
  • 3h 10m 32s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.63 mile/hr
Comments:

Got going well and about 5 miles in dropped to the small ring for one of the early climbs, but once i got to the top I found I could shift back up from the smal ring to the big ring. Let that bother me for a while, but then just dealt with it riding in 8-9-10 gear alot. I figured with the hills on this course staying in the small ring wasn't the worst thing to have happen. Soon thereafter i was on the short steep hill from the olympic and knew that was a good decision. This was an awesome ride, the hills and just one after another for the early stages, then there is a great decent into blackrock lake park area and then soon foloowed by a 5-6 mile multi tiered climb back out of the valley. Then a good down and up out and back segment and then some extra hills until we met up with the Olympic course again. Just before the last hill on the Olympic we turned right and away went around the lake. Did a buch of back and forths with several folks who would dust me on the flatter segment and downhills and i would spin past on the hills. I was geared out a few times and lost some extra spped on occassion but, I did a good job on most of the hills getting in the right gear early and leaving some room to downshift on the long hills as i got tired. I went through my gel flask in three shots and though 2 bottles but likely got behind on my nutrion since i normally do 1 bottle per hour and a gel every 30 min. Think I paid for this later. But the ride was fun and felt like it went fast and under control.

I'm not going back to the bike shop who does over $300 worth of work, and doesn't adjust the front derailur properly so I lost 10 friggin gears. Don't think that is too much to ask for it to make sure your service is worth a darn.
Transition 2
  • 02m 47s
Comments:

No issues find my rack but had issues running in my bike shoes so that was slow. Sprayed down with sunscreen and though about changing sock but decided not to.

Put tri slide on my feet. The pavement and my running shoes and socks were wet, and had been wet yesterday as well, should be a no brainer that this was a blister likely scenario.
Run
  • 2h 19m 47s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Well this run was rotten. I started off Ok bring a bottle of UltraGen with my and drinking it over the first mile. Felt OK for the mile 2 hill and downhill to mile 3 but by the time Ireached the start of the long 1.5 mile climb on the dirt roads, I was starting to feel the effects of getting behind on the nutrion on the bike. Ended up in that slow steady shuffle up the hill and basically stayed there most of the race. I didn't preview the new course well and each new hill just crushed me mentally especially the mile 7-8 hill (last hill on the Olympic bike course) which I just missed on the elevation profile. Even broke don a walked to the potta potty on the hill before snapping back to my shuffle. The out and back in the neighbor hood seem like it was uphill both ways. I started walking the aid stations from mile 8 on and getting as much water and ice as possible but I would be back to shuffle mode in a few minutes. The last mile was the same as last year and the Olympic and that hill is really tough. At least the Photographer wasn't smack in the middle of the steepest section like last year. Shuffled up it with a short walk break and then got rolling to the finish. Felt good to get done.

Weak mental effort and not get behind on my hydration and nutrion on the bike. Of course two hilly races in two days 28 dyas after a bike wreck and layoff from training for most of the month leading up to this double didn't help either, but I got through it and celebrated turning 40 in a triathlon sytle for sure!!
Post race
Warm down:

Water, food, more water, then layed on the ground for the awards cermenoy and cherred for my teammates who kicked some serious butt out there today.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Two hilly races in two days 28 dyas after a bike wreck and layoff from training for most of the month leading up to this double didn't help either, but I got through it and celebrated turning 40 in a triathlon sytle for sure!!

Event comments:

Rev 3 puts on a great overall show. getting up close and personal with the pros, the blazman's parents, my Trakkers teamates, World Champions, and Olympians was very cool. The race is a challenge but was well done. Great experience and had a great time.

Last updated: 2010-05-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:04 | 2310 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 61/104
Overall: 297/683
Performance: Average
Suit: Blue Seventy Sleeveless
Course: Counter clockwise triangle in a warm, clean, deep, spring fed lake. Had to go further out by an extra orange buoy on the way out and back from yesterday.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:52
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:10:32 | 56 miles | 17.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/104
Overall: 0/683
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: lots and lots of rolling hills. Did most of the Olypic course plus a good ride out to black rock lake and a long 5 mile climb about 25 miles in and a mean out and back segment (or should I say down and up segment.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:47
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:19:47 | 13.1 miles | 10m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/104
Overall: 0/683
Performance: Bad
Course: Loop around the lake and then a loop around the neighborhood and part of the olympic course. Lots of hills miles 2, 4,5,7,8 and 12 and rollers in between.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-06-09 2:06 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: Revolution3 Half Ironman

2010-06-09 7:02 PM
in reply to: #2911452

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Revolution3 Half Ironman
Congrats!

Wow lots went on for you in the last month and then do double on a very challenging course....and bike w/o your big chain ring. Glad you had your small chain ring for those climbs...bad service for sure.

Sounds like a fun race...it conflicts with a couple of other races I have always done..otherwise I'd do this. I wish all the fun races weren't on the same weekends.
2010-06-10 7:14 AM

User image

Despite the recent bike wreck, back to back races, falling behind on nutrition, and losing your BIG RING, you hung in there and GOT R DONE on a Tough - Tough course.  Thats' what I call battling through and having a Fantastic Race.  Congratulations! 

2010-06-10 12:36 PM

Wow! Back to Back on that course is really impressive!  Congratulations!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution3 Half Ironman Rss Feed