Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2010-06-15 8:37 AM
in reply to: #2911934

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Subject: RE: Boycott BP
I saw some people with homemade signs "picketing" next to a BP station on my way home from work yesterday. There were still customers at the pumps.

2010-06-15 8:42 AM
in reply to: #2922232

User image

Champion
pitt83 - 2010-06-15 8:02 AM  If the station owner decides to align himself with BP, then they didn't perform due diligence vetting the business practices of his parent company.

True that no one predicts this type of catastrophe and which oil company falls victim to it....

These two don't go together unless you're suggesting that small business gas station owners should delve into the safety practices of a gigantic international corporation and predict that this would happen. 

To suggest that you should hold gas station owners responsible for being associated with BP is ridiculous.  Especially when they can't get out of those contracts right now even if they wanted to.
2010-06-15 10:04 AM
in reply to: #2922113

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
jsiegs - 2010-06-15 8:06 AM From NPR this morning, sales at BP stations are down 20% in Maryland.  To quote a local BP owner who is locked into his contracts (and I'm paraphrasing here because I don't remember exactly) "You're not hurting BP, you're hurting my family".  While this is a good sound bite and plays well to the media, its not my reason for not boycotting BP.

All I still see are emotional, and in my opinion misguided, responses to the disaster.  No one is claiming it isn't horrible or that you shouldn't be outraged that this happened.  I just think you should be mad with offshore drilling in general and not BP, cause it doesn't seem like they did anything so egregious.  Nothing worse than standard, legal, industry practice, so how can you really blame them for that?  If this bothers you so much, stop all offshore drilling, don't just stop BP.  I just haven't seen a good logical argument for a boycott of BP.

That being said, I'm cool with boycotts, what better way to influence a market absent sufficient government regulations than to force change through consumer demand?  However, I live because I can drive my car to work, is there a "good" oil company that meets my requirements of not drilling offshore (anywhere) and is making a significant effort towards alternative energy sources?  I don't think so, so what can I do?  (If there is, let me know - I have changed my consumer habits to support companies who take REAL green initiatives, and would change gas buying too).  I hope for government mandates to drive this since consumers aren't able to demand it.  By the time we're willing/able to demand it, I think it will be too late.

Actually, I wonder if BP can then be held liable for the losses to his business?  In the same way there are discussions about BP's liablility to the fishermen, the oil workers, etc down in the gulf.  Perhaps the BP station owners are another member of the affected groups that will be eligible for some financial compensation.
2010-06-15 4:58 PM

Expert
People here do not understand how the oil industry works.

BP, Exxon-Mobil and all the other large oil companies do the R&D and drill for the oil.  Everyone brings their oil to one of the limited refineries and throws it in a big container.  From there it is processed to not be crude anymore.  Then additives are thrown in and it is distributed to all the gas stations that purchase from that refinery.

So when you go to Citgo, Shell, Exxon, BP, Crown, etc. etc. you are more than likely buying BP crude in some fashion or another.

Boycotting BP you have done ZERO to their bottom line.  All you have done is crush the mom and pop who have nothing to do with the spill other than buying their gas from a distributor who happens to have a BP logo on their side.  It is not BP gas.

BP will still take their crude to the same refineries as everyone else and while people go on their high and mighty to other stations and destroy their local small businessmen, BP will be laughing all the way to the bank since you will still be buying their product in some fashion or another even from your other local non-BP station.
2010-06-15 5:36 PM
in reply to: #2919509

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

gearboy - 2010-06-14 7:19 AM
ashort33 - 2010-06-10 5:03 PM

scoobysdad - 2010-06-10 1:54 PM "Hey, everybody! Let's try to bankrupt a company we're hoping will pay billions of dollars in restitution!" Brilliant.

Exactly!  Feelings trump logic once again...

Sooooo - Bernie Madoff shouldn't have been jailed.  If we let him remain free, he might have been able to find a way to repay the victims of his misdeeds, right?

If the issue is financial, and you want to take a logical approach that also punishes people, then you would want to jail those who decided NOT to install safety cutoffs at the time the well was being drilled (I understand that there was a half million dollar piece of equipment that could have cut off the pipe as soon as there was a problem, but it was felt to be too expensive for the perceived risk/benefit ratio), going however high up the chain that goes.  Then you would break the company up into its assets and sell them off to the highest bidders (you don't think BP's competitors aren't already licking their chops at the prospect of taking them over?), with the resititution claims getting first dibs on the proceeds. 

And isn't that essentially how the free market is supposed to work?  The company that does the best job of delivering its goods and services without p!ssing people off and being the most cost effective gets the largest market share?  If people don't like the way BP does business, shouldn't they be voting with their dollars?

Maybe when the MMS hands out contracts, they should be requiring companies to put into escrow a suitable amount to cover this sort of problem, until the well is capped.  Then, even if the company goes under, for any reason, the coverage is in place.

I don't think it is illegal to make cost / benefit assessments - Ponzi schemes are.  You are comparing apples and oranges....  All I point out is that people feel like they need to make some sort of statement, even though it is not logical.  It is becoming more common in this country to react before thinking about the consequences of those actions.  Deprive company of revenue (boycott) = insufficient cash to make appropriate restitution. 

Boycott away  - I am sure that the governement will pick up the tab when BP stops paying....

2010-06-15 9:53 PM
in reply to: #2919528

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
TriRSquared - 2010-06-14 8:29 AM
gearboy - 2010-06-14 8:19 AM (I understand that there was a half million dollar piece of equipment that could have cut off the pipe as soon as there was a problem, but it was felt to be too expensive for the perceived risk/benefit ratio)

I'm not sure where you heard this but there was a BOP (blow out preventer) installed, however it malfunctioned.  And they cost about $1/2 million.

I'm not saying there was not an issue with the installation or maybe shortcuts were taken but it is standard procedure to install a BOP when drilling a well to prevent this very problem.

So someone screwed up (BP, TransOcean, the BOP manufacturer?) but the device was in place.  The oil is shooting out of the top of the BOP currently.

It took me a little while, but I found one of the sources of my information.  Not sure about the cost issue, but here is the PDF.  The thing I was thinking about is the liner.  I know the BOP was in place and malfunctioned.  The issue (and apparently not the first time for BP to skip steps to save money) is that there needed to be redundancies, such as the liner, in the event of the BOP failure. The PDF also references internal BP documents indicating that they knew about the risks and knowingly ignored them.

2010-06-15 10:30 PM

User image

Expert
couple things, In the popular science that came today there was a pamphlet inside the cover for shell gas about how secure their offshore drilling stations are and how awesome there company is, followed by a 2 page ads for shell again.

As another poster previously mentioned could any of these station owners form a class action law suit against BP for business lost due to defamation of the company name? Or something along those lines im trying to quote erin brokovich that i saw 5 years ago.
2010-06-15 10:43 PM
in reply to: #2920617

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
pitt83 - 2010-06-14 3:06 PM  Common accounting trick. If you lease property, plant and equipment, it doesn't show as a liability on your balance sheet thereby inflating your cash flow. See any large capital item (airplanes, all CVS stores, etc) for equivalent accounting.

I'm missing something here. The lease payments would be deducted as a cash expense just as loan payments would, thus decreasing cash flow as lease payments are typically higher than loan payments. At worst, it would be a wash.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.
2010-06-16 5:23 AM
in reply to: #2924385

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
blairrob - 2010-06-15 11:43 PM

pitt83 - 2010-06-14 3:06 PM  Common accounting trick. If you lease property, plant and equipment, it doesn't show as a liability on your balance sheet thereby inflating your cash flow. See any large capital item (airplanes, all CVS stores, etc) for equivalent accounting.

I'm missing something here. The lease payments would be deducted as a cash expense just as loan payments would, thus decreasing cash flow as lease payments are typically higher than loan payments. At worst, it would be a wash.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hmm, now you're making me think. Bad blairrob!

I think it's got to do with "lean-ness". Basically, if you generate more income with less PPE, you look more efficient / profitable. I realize it's still $$$in vs. $$$out, but accountants are famous for making that ratio say what they want it to.

I know that CVS doesn't own any of their stores, but rents them from a holding company. Airlines usually do the same. They don't want the bloat of ownership on the books.

Details are sketchy; need to re-read the logic here.
2010-06-16 6:56 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore
Heard on NPR on my way home yesterday that the congressional committee found BP negligent and that they cut corners on safety.  They didn't meet the industry standard for safety.  Not sure what I was expecting here, just that I wanted to hear the findings before getting mad at them.  So some of my logic before is no longer valid, I have to rethink.  I doubt I'd boycott still, for many of the reasons stated here (though not because I'm afraid of bankrupting BP, they are more than able to handle the cost of this and more it seems).  This is really disapointing, because in college we did a case study on BP and their rebranding and I actually thought they were one of the "better" oil companies out there.  Learn something new every day.
2010-06-16 12:37 PM
in reply to: #2924515

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
pitt83 - 2010-06-16 7:23 AM
blairrob - 2010-06-15 11:43 PM

Hmm, now you're making me think. Bad blairrob!

EmbarassedEmbarassed sorry!!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Boycott BP Rss Feed  

of 4