Age Group Rank = 11/15
Event warmup:

stretching and swimming to get use to water temp
Swim
  • 35m 21s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim course was good. No waves and timed so that the channel current was very low (it can be bad here).
After the swim you have to run up a dirt trail to a bike path and then about 100 yds to transition. Bike path is open and was very croweded with spectators made it hard to get through them to tranistion.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing except swim faster. One of my best swims ever.
Transition 1
  • 02m 43s
Comments:

Because of the run back to tranistion my feet were covered with sand and dirt. Took time to clean them off. Feet got stuck in wet suit. Leaving tranistion you have to carry bike and run through sand to get to road.

More practice removing wetsuit and getting going on bike. Also more practice at venue would have helped, I was not planning on running through sand with my bike.
Bike
  • 1h 29m 11s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 17.63 mile/hr
Comments:

This course was horrible and only got worse with the way it was managed. Only some of the turns were manned with volunteers so the direction (you have to know this course it was not marked well at all). There was no traffic control (I am amazed no one got hurt).
There was only one aid station and it was on the other side of the road with only one person there so if you wanted water you had to stop, get off your bike and fill your own water (glad I did not need any).
Also so others stuck at stop lights so if you did not time it right you were stuck for minutes.

Never ride this course again
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Since course was open you had to fight through car traffic to get by the tranistion. Once you were close you had to cross the run course and if you were unlucky you got stuck waiting on runners.
After getting off the bike you had to run through sand to get into transition.

Wish I had known about this course it killed my plan to come out of shoes and run into tranition.
Run
  • 1h 11m 12s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

The start of the run course is confusing coming out of transition on to the bike path that is crowded with spectators. then you cross the road with the bikes coming in then out a service road to the beach. Lots of soft sand running, creek crossing, then just short of the turn around you have to go adventure racing and climb over wet rocks and run on single track paths. so you get to do this twice. This killed my time because I walked it and did not want to take a chance on slipping and breaking a leg.
There are only 2 aide stations with one person getting water was not easy. Race said that they would have Gatorade but they didn't have that they had another type of sports drink.

Practice a lot more soft sand running and rock climbing.
Post race
Warm down:

There was no warm down area, and the after race food was horrible. water, green bannas, oranges.

Event comments:

I know that this was a first time event but it was very poorly put on and the bike and run course were dangerous to the altheletes. Not enough volunteers or aide stations. No post race food or activities.
If things don't change drastically by next year I would not recommend doing this race.

Last updated: 2010-06-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:21 | 1640 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 86/163
Performance: Good
Suit: full w/hood
Course: Retangle shaped course leaving from beach out by the Morro Bay Rock almost to the breakwater then turn to the sandbar and back. Course going out well marked with bouyes but the way back only had a couple of bouyes.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 53F / 12C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:43
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:29:11 | 26.2 miles | 17.63 mile/hr
Overall: 65/163
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: Course goes through town, then loop out to SLO and back. Only a couple of hills and nothing crazy. Strong cross winds on the way out and all headwind on the way back along Los Osos Valley road. Also this was not Olympic distance it was 26.2 miles.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:11:12 | 06.21 miles | 11m 28s  min/mile
Overall: 140/163
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back course on the beach through soft and hard pack sand. At the 3 miles you come to a point that requires you to climb rocks, run on rocks, and run on single track. about 1/4 of the beach run is crushed shells so barefoot running not recommended. Also in the pre-race information you never get told about the rocks, creek crossings or all of the soft sand.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 1

{postbutton}
2010-06-09 5:39 PM

New user

Subject: Morro Bay Triathlon

2010-06-09 11:32 PM
in reply to: #2912012

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Morro Bay Triathlon
yikes, that doesn't sound good at all!  I'd be really bummed if I had to deal with traffic and stoplights during a race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Morro Bay Triathlon Rss Feed