General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore Hamstrings Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-06 11:00 AM

Subject: Sore Hamstrings
I just started training for a 5k in preperation for an eventual triathlon. I am at stage 1. I began a running regime last week, and after my last run (july 4) my hamstring is still a little sore. I am in pretty good health, not really overweight, but I have not run in a long time. I took the 5th off, and am contemplating taking today off even though I am supposed to run. Should I run today, or take an extra day for my sore hamstring to go away?

Thanks

2005-07-06 11:17 AM
in reply to: #191372

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: RE: Sore Hamstrings
The thing to avoid isn't soreness or pain, it's injury.

If the hamstring is just a little sore, a workout might be the best thing for it. If you're in pain, skip it.  Try going out for the run and see how it feels. If it bothers you, you can always walk for a while or end the workout. As you train more, you'll get a better idea of when to adjust the intensity and when to replace a workout with rest.
2005-07-06 11:45 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Sometimes when I'm sore I like to do a SLOW EASY run to loosen up my sore muscles.  Stretching makes a difference for me.  It's normal to feel "sore" especially if you're first starting out.  But if it's pain, I would lay off.  Once you are into your training more, you'll know your body and will be able to tell if it's just soreness or pain. 
2005-07-06 11:48 AM

I am pretty sure it is just soreness, but other than my calves, nothing else is sore. It does not hamper walking, it just hurts a little. I will try going on a leisurely run to see if it helps. Thanks for the advice.

I cannot find a good stretch for the hamstring. When i bend and touch my toes, it feels like i am stretching my calves. any suggestions?
2005-07-06 12:00 PM

I am pretty sure it is just soreness, but other than my calves, nothing else is sore. It does not hamper walking, it just hurts a little. I will try going on a leisurely run to see if it helps. Thanks for the advice.

I cannot find a good stretch for the hamstring. When i bend and touch my toes, it feels like i am stretching my calves. any suggestions?
2005-07-06 12:45 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama
running works the hammies better than just about any other exercise. If your hammies are sore you are obviously running alot. Thats why you have a sore hamstring muscle, the more you run the stronger it will become. You just have to learn the difference between 'good' sore and 'bad' sore. Good sore meaning you have been working hard and the soreness will make you stronger in the long run, and bad sore meaning it may cause injury and you should stop working out for a few days or get it checked out.
As far as a good stretch, get down on the ground with legs out in front of you, sit up straight, keep your knees to the ground and bend over and try to put your head on your knees. You can also open you legs as wide as you comfortably can and stretch from side to side by trying to put your forehead onto your knees.
If the hammie is causing you to feel uncomfortable during the day try taking some motrin or something like that. But never take that stuff before a run or any workout!
My 2c!
good luck with the running and keep up the hard work!!

2005-07-06 1:02 PM
in reply to: #191460

Regular
Jackson, MS

rock8888 - 2005-07-06 11:00 ... I cannot find a good stretch for the hamstring. When i bend and touch my toes, it feels like i am stretching my calves. any suggestions?

These two links show a good hamstring stretch. Try to keep your lower back straight when you do these, it's not about how far you can reach. When seated, keep your feet flexed for a deeper stretch.

http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Hamstrings/Seated.html

http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Hamstrings/Standing.html

2005-07-06 3:13 PM

Thanks for all the help. I will stretch them out and see how they are. I am assuming they are just "good" sore and not "bad" sore. I should have a better idea after my run tonight. Thanks for the help. These were my first posts and I like the forums.
2005-07-06 3:55 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Another really good hamstring stretch is a variation of the standing one shown:
http://aolsvc.health.webmd.aol.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/hw208009.as...

This one always stretches my hamstrings better than anything else I do.

Happy running!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore Hamstrings Rss Feed