General Discussion Race Reports! » June 12, Muncie Multi-Sport Tri, Du, Aqua, run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

June 12, Muncie Multi-Sport Tri, Du, Aqua, run - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Muncie, Indiana
United States
www.munciemultisport.com
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 41m 44s
Overall Rank = 28/57
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 2/5
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:30 am, put stuff in car, left at 4:30 and drove to race site 2 hours away. Stopped on the way at McDonalds for coffee and some food.

Got to site-went to body marking, chip pickup, then set up my stuff in transition. Listened to pre-race talk, went down to the water.
Event warmup:

Got in the water and swam for a couple minutes. They shooed us out of the water pretty quickly so they could start on time.
Swim
  • 24m 27s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had a hard time seeing where I was going due to the cloud cover and the sudden downpour on the second loop.
What would you do differently?:

Wear goggles with clear lens instead of tinted ones when the conditions are rainy and cloudy.
Transition 1
  • 03m 16s
Comments:

Short run up a hill into T1. Had zero issues removing wetsuit even though it was my second time having it on. Credit TriSlide lubricant by SBR. It is pricey, but man the suit just slips right off!

Put on helmet, shoes(forgot to unbuckle them when I set up transition, doh!), sunglasses and ran out to mount line.

Make sure shoes are ready to put on. Wear my gloves(more on that later).
Bike
  • 1h 17m 34s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.22 mile/hr
Comments:

Ride was going well... at least until I was at about mile 2 and then I crashed. I was getting a little close to the edge of the new paved road and attempted to come out wider into the road and my front wheel washed out and I went down. Operator error, and it hurts. I made sure nothing was broken, got up, picked up my stuff that had fallen out of my bento box and got back on the bike.

I wouldn't crash if I could help it.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Racked bike, took off cycling shoes, put on running shoes, removed helmet, put on visor, hit the road. Left sunglasses behind for the run. It was still raining.

Nothing.
Run
  • 55m 24s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

My wife couldn't believe I was heading out on the run after she saw me run into T2 all beat up. I was feeling it a little or so I thought. When I saw my pace, I was actually happy and surprised that I ran so well at that point. The guy who won my ag passed me with 2.2 miles to go, but I just didn't have enough in me to catch him.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Went to medical tent to have the doctor check me over. The race official was concerned since I looked pretty scary!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The rain and the crash.

Event comments:

I am giving this race an average because even though I got regular e-mails from the RD, they really didn't provide much useful information. I did not find out what the course layouts were until a couple days before the race giving me zero chance to check them out. Also, the race site was tough to find since I could not find an address on my GPS and the map showed the location,but not how to get there from,say, Indy. And right near the finish line, there was no one to direct me and I was essentially alone at that point. I actually came to a stop to figure out which way I was supposed to go. I am glad my wife was down near the finish line and yelled to me to make a left turn and get off the road onto the grass.

I think with some more events under his belt now that he is on his own, things will get better. I most likely will do another event that he puts on.

Last updated: 2010-01-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:27 | 1640 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 21/57
Performance: Good
Ave HR:145
Suit: Xterra Vortex Full
Course: Triangular 2 loop running counterclockwise.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:16
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:17:34 | 24.85 miles | 19.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/5
Overall: 39/57
Performance: Below average
Ave HR:155
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loop with rolling hills throughout countryside. Nice course with some newly paved roads.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 92
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:55:24 | 06.21 miles | 08m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 36/57
Performance: Average
Ave. HR: 161
Course: Out and back with rolling hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-06-12 5:53 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: June 12, Muncie Multi-Sport Tri, Du, Aqua, run

2010-06-13 6:54 AM
in reply to: #2917770

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: June 12, Muncie Multi-Sport Tri, Du, Aqua, run
Great job Greg on your first race of the season! I am glad that you didn't get hurt on the bike. That's scary stuff.
2010-06-13 7:34 AM
in reply to: #2918202

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
nuttysami123 - 2010-06-13 6:54 AM Great job Greg on your first race of the season! I am glad that you didn't get hurt on the bike. That's scary stuff.

Oh, I am hurting for sure!  Just nothing broken!  I don't know what the pool rules are on road rash, but I may not be allowed in the pool for awhileCry
2010-06-13 10:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Russiaville, IN
good job Greg,   I'm glad to hear your alright, I fell on the run yesterday and it's scary when you go down you never know if you have done something bad to your body.  Good job on 2nd in the age group, I'll probably see you soon at one of these races.

Ron
2010-06-13 5:18 PM

User image

Regular
Muncie, IN
great job greg I'm out here by the course alot (fishing club tournaments every tues. or training) and knew there was about a 2" - 3" drop off on the side of the new paved road to the north...it could have been convied at the pre race talk that if you go off the edge do not try to come back on the road....also I agree I had no clue the finish was going to be in the park area just at the top and left of the last hill coming back,  I held off my kick expecting 200m left when I reached the top, was suprised when a volunteer told me turn left and follow the path, less than 100m to finish....
if you ever need course conditions ahead of time msg me, I'd be glad to help...
2010-06-13 5:41 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Great job.  Sorry about the crash, but way to tough it out.  Hope nothing is hurt too seriously.  

2010-06-13 8:53 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Sounds like you had a good race except for the crash.  I hope you and the bike are in as good of shape as possible. 

I had the same thought you posted about the finish area.  I didn't feel like the turn was marked well (at all).  If it hadn't been for some at the telling me as I past the cones I would have run right past the turn into the park.  I also thought they could have marked the bike in area better too. 

Hopefully we'll catch each other at another race sometime.  Now that I have my first tri out of the way I may be a little more relaxed and less anti-social.

2010-06-14 10:24 AM
in reply to: #2918824

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
mattb1 - 2010-06-13 5:41 PM Great job.  Sorry about the crash, but way to tough it out.  Hope nothing is hurt too seriously.  

Thanks.  It was interesting that the first thought that came into my mind, probably as I was still going down, was "Ironman".  Like am I going to be too hurt to do it?  Fortunately, just some nasty road rash which will keep me out of the pool for a few days.  My hip is still swollen, so I am going to wait until it returns to normal size, then I will be back at it.  Going to do some yoga, maybe some functional strength training and an easy bike ride in a day or so.
2010-06-17 9:28 AM
in reply to: #2920121

User image

Master
Yikes!! Scary crash! I'm so glad you are, ultimately, OK, but ouch! And you went on and finished with a great race. Hope you can heal UP quickly. Great job!
2010-06-17 1:04 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » June 12, Muncie Multi-Sport Tri, Du, Aqua, run Rss Feed