United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 59m 13s
Overall Rank = 363/2510
Age Group = 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 44/172
Pre-race routine:

The pre race was good. Me and the whole family were doing this race. Me and the wife doing the 12 k and our 6 y/o son doing the 2k. No need for an alarm clock as our son was up at 5am to be sure he was not late to the race. After some food and milling around the house we were off to packet pick up, and my moms house. She lives one block from the start line so we had no parking problems.

On a side note today was the big USA soccer match and in celebration me and my family all wore USA soccer jerseys for the race. Go USA World Cup 2010!!!

Event warmup:

The warm up for me was walking around the start and finish line. Then running the 2k with my son. He did great at 6 he rocked a 9 min 2k. After that it was a quick restroom break and off to the start line of the 12k.
Run
  • 59m 13s
  • 7.46 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I love this race. I first did the race when I was in 6th grade and after many years of being away form the race I was able to go back this year and run.
The differences from when I was young to now are small but evident. Not as many volunteers and also no time clocks on course and more people these days. Just a couple small things I noticed or maybe all is the same but I remember it a little differently. Either way no big deal just a surprise.

The run.
Last September I went out to judge myself on this run. I finished it in just over an hour ten minutes. My goal today was to re-strike that measure of myself. My goal was 55 minutes.
I got off to an ok start but how can you not the run is down hill for the first mile or so. Then rounds into the Point Defiance Zoo area and through the parking lot before heading towards the five mile drive and we began to tackle the hills that are hidden back there. The out of the park up small hill down big hill, then back up big hill, turn down street finally get hit with hot sun (no more trees blocking it), last flat running spot and last water station, up killer Vassault hill and on to the finish line in the park. Easy enough right? Well here is how it went for me.

Mile 1, did not see it
Mile 2. Hmm awesome clock check oooo 14:20, nice feeling good.
Mile 3, 21?? For that is still good. By this time I was with the pack of people I would stay with in the race for a lng time. One kid I think he was maybe 12 or there abouts was determined to not let me pass him. I would move past him and he would curse under his breath and sprint past me. I was his marker for the day. He was working hard and I left it at that. Maybe I would have done better if not for worrying about him. I wanted to get a good run in today and for some reason buy this time I felt dehydrated a bit and also had some stomach issues but no big work through it.
Mile 4, right on past it man feeling ok.
Mile 5, 38min and a few odd seconds, doing the math in my head hmm nope not going to hit goal of 55 min but that’s ok just finish race (flat race maybe but not with the hills I still needed to concur. Most of the hills are down enjoying the flat and just passed a band play Johnny Cash, so that was uplifting. I think I was conserving energy for the big hills coming, so I knew I should have let loose and just ran hard.
Mile 6 got some water and am now ready for big finish up the giant hill. I was by this time hot. The odd part was I was ready to get in another gear and move faster and felt I could run all day. That is what I get for training for half marathon distance, this would be the half way point and I would want to pick it up a bit. No big lots of people and fun race today.
Mile 7, I was looking for the blinking light to tell me I am close to the finish but my eyes suck and I could not se it. At this point we had crested the big killer hill and I was passing the kid who wanted to bad to stay ahead of me. I felt bad for him he was dying, or it sounded like it. I told him great job and don’t let me pass him now. He said I know but….. I told him to keep it up and good luck.
Finished race and found my mom and son who were hanging out waiting for me, then went to find a spot to see my wife finish.

What would you do differently?:

run harder and do my race the way I know how. I know at this distance I can run faster. Still fun.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much just me not running hard enough. Clothes might have bothered me a little but should not have caused much problem, just comfort.

Event comments:

Its been around for 38 years and is a tough race but run.

Last updated: 2010-03-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:59:13 | 07.46 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 44/172
Overall: 363/2510
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]