Canada
15C / 59F
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 47m 2s
Overall Rank = 125/164
Age Group = Women 20-24
Age Group Rank = 4/6
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30am, had breakfast, packed the car and drove to Mt Tremblant. Got there nice and early, set up, randomly encountered fellow triathletes I know from past races. It's weird how that always happens at races!!
Event warmup:

Easy jog, got in the wetsuit, chatted with friends and then did a warm up swim in the water. Not much...
Swim
  • 26m 25s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

4/6 F 20-24; 9/25 F OA; 66/164 OA.
Men started at 9am, women started 2' later. I quickly caught up to the back of the men's group, and pushed my way through them. I didn't have any good opportunities to draft - I find it so difficult to find fast feet in open waters.
What would you do differently?:

Find feet to draft off of.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I still don't do the whole "shoes already clipped in" thing. But I got out of my wetsuit quickly enough, and got into the bike shoes speedily enough.

Figure out an amazing way of whipping the wetsuit over the heels, and practice jumping on bike.
Bike
  • 1h 31m 29s
  • 40 kms
  • 26.23 km/hr
Comments:

4/6 F; 17/25 F OA; 144/164 OA.
I need to keep the cadence higher, I still mash my gears. I was doing well with managing my HR at the beginning, but it slowly started to drop after the halfway mark. I could have been pushing more if I had kept a better track of it!

Higher rpm, more strength to tackle the hills and climbs, not drink as much but take in more calories. Water/sports drink would later slosh around on the run.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Pretty painless, although for some reason I always get off on the right side of my bike but want to be on my left. I should just get off on my left!!

Get out of shoes and dismount instead of run with shoes. I need to practice that, too!!
Run
  • 48m 49s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 53s  min/km
Comments:

5/6 F 20-24; 12/25 F OA; 113/164 OA.
It took me 1 km to feel my "running" legs, and then I kept my HR around 165-168. I wanted to up that to 170-172+ after the 5k mark but my legs were getting wobbly. I really need to work on leg strength because the aerobic system is fine and good... it's the leg strength which has to catch up and it is slowing me down. Otherwise, awesome run - my fastest 10k ever!!
Also, I got 10/25 Female OA for this race - super cool!!!

If it had been possible, push it a bit more to a higher HR. But this was a HUGE effort, and I'm proud of it.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, drank water, got food (yum!! so much food!) and watched the awards ceremonies for all the events.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike has always been my limiter... it's slowly becoming less of a limiter, but it is still keeping me back. I've got to keep on training and getting stronger. I need to develop greater leg strength, which will help me a whole lot for the bike, for sure, but also for the run off the bike when I am already tired.

Event comments:

I really love this race. I did it last year. Although the course is not flat, it is fast - well, the bike is, being on a racing circuit. It attracts high quality competitors; almost everyone is super fast!! Lots of goodies, too, and in a beautiful setting. My only complaint is that I'd like to see more drink stations on the run (just 1 more).
Also, they were a bit late getting started today, and there was some confusion as to whether the women started at the same time as the men or 2' later, and whether the team swimmers started with the women or the men.
But, still, of all races I've done, it has been my favourite. It's why I came back this year!!

Last updated: 2010-05-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:25 | 1500 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 66/164
Performance: Good
Suit: nineteen W XS
Course: 2 loops of 750m each. We had to get out of the water and around a small loop and get back in the water for the 2nd loop.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 20C / 68F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:31:29 | 40 kms | 26.23 km/hr
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 144/164
avg HR = 153 max HR = 174
Wind: Some
Course: 10 loops on a 4.2km circuit (42km total). There are 2 short hills, and then one power climb. This time includes T1 and T2. T1 was 2:33; T2 was 1:04. Thus, garmin's time was: 41.38km @ 28.2km/hr
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 77
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:48:49 | 10 kms | 04m 53s  min/km
Age Group: 5/6
Overall: 113/164
avg HR = 164 max HR = 175
Course: It's an out and back course on roads, then on gravel/dirt paths along the water - very pretty!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-12 9:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Subject: Triathlon Mont-Tremblant

2010-06-13 5:11 AM
in reply to: #2917999

User image

Elite
Quebec, Canada
Subject: RE: Triathlon Mont-Tremblant
Awesome job Krystyna

Damn, PR on the run and OA 17 minutes faster than last year. All your training is paying off, keep it going and that bike split will be even better!

2010-06-13 4:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great job.

I got to watch your swim wave. Some of the gals and guys were flyyyyyying.  With that time, you were one of them.

I agree with you, it's a great race. I love it when you're running in the town, all traffic is stopped for you and people in their cars are smiling and cheerig you on.

2010-06-14 9:56 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Awesome job Krystyna!!  Wow, there were some speedy people there - but it sounds like you gave it the kind of effort you wanted and that was one speedy run!! Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon Mont-Tremblant Rss Feed