Cadence Multisports
68F / 20C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 49m 8s
Overall Rank = 139/248
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 26/33
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30 and took a quick shower. Ate a bagel with peanut butter and washed it down with a glass of Gatorade. The car was already loaded so I hopped in and made the 20-minute drive out to Maple Plain.
Event warmup:

Took a gel and some Endurolytes 30 minutes before the race. Met up with a few BT-ers before the pre-race meeting. After the meeting, I hopped in the water and swam a couple hundred yards to acclimate to the water.
Swim
  • 36m 8s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

The goal for this leg was just to swim smoothly and not let my heart rate get too high. Today was all a dry-run for Madison, so I had to exercise some restraint.
I lined up on the outside of the start line and when the race started I aimed for the 2nd buoy. It was a smaller wave, so there wasn't too much violence at the beginning.
One the way out I started catching up to a few guys that must have taken off too quickly and then fizzled. But, by the time we hit the turn around, the crowd had thinned and collisions with other swimmers were few and far between. On the return trip, I caught up to a few swimmers in the wave ahead of me, but it still wasn't crowded. My only real problem is that I tended to stray to the right and probably added 100-200 yards of extra distance with all the course corrections.
In my only other 1/2-Iron distance race, my swim split was 36:05. Today was just 3 seconds slower, but the effort level was mush lower. I was hoping for somewhere in the 35-minute range, so I guess I can be happy with 36.
What would you do differently?:

I need to work on navigation and sticking closer to the buoys. Cutting down on the distance traveled would be the easiest way to bring my time down. This means more open-water training for the next few months. In a non-Ironman year, this would be an 'A' race and probably could have afforded to push myself just a bit harder.
Transition 1
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

My wetsuit got hung up on each ankle. I'm tempted to trim an inch or two off the legs to make it easier to remove. I opted to put my shoes on in transition and clip-clop-clip-clop to the mount line. I just didn't want to attempt the 'flying-squirrel' with 56 miles ahead of me.

Spend less time fidgiting with my sunglasses and helmet to get them on 'just right'. That kind of stuff can wait until I'm on the road.
Bike
  • 3h 04m 55s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.17 mile/hr
Comments:

In my last 1/2 Iron, I pushed too hard on the bike, didn't get enough nutrition or water and ended up with no gas in the tank and crampy legs for the entire run. Not good. Today, I really wanted to do better on the run, which meant going conservative on the bike. My secondary goal was to test my nutrition and hydration.
Since (all things considered) I actually had a pretty good swim, that meant that the first 25 miles of the bike I was passed by a constant parade of carbon fiber and aero-helmets. Man, those dudes were fast.
I set my Garmin to go off every 20 minutes so I would be reminded to take in water, Perpetuem and 3 Shot Bloks. Add to that 3 endurolytes every hour.
I tried to keep my heart rate under 150 and would back off or shift down if I started to 'feel the burn'. I knew I was fully hydrated because of my urge to *ahem* 'go' at about mile 40. At this point I got to experience another triathlon milestone by 'dropping ballast' at mile 44. Whew. That felt good.
Soon after, I hit the out-and-back portion and got to see all those who had passed me along with everyone that was hot on my tail. For the last 1-2 miles, I kicked it into a lower gear and jumped the RPMs up to about 100 before cruising into transition.
In the end, my bike leg was 4:55 slower than my first 1/2 Iron, but my legs felt fresh coming out of transition, which meant I was ready for the run.

I suppose I could have pushed harder on the bike, but I don't know what impact that would have had on my run.
The Shot Bloks worked well for today, but nearing the end of the bike my body was reaching it's limit of those chewy red buggers. I'll definitely need to have some more variety for the Madison race. I'm thinking PB&J will be on the menu.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

I must have lost focus, because I didn't leave myself enough time to slip out of my shoes before the dismount line. I also found that with the aerobar water bottle my bike wouldn't rack from the front so I had to spin it back around and hang it from the saddle. My socks didn't want to go on straight, so I had to goober with those before putting on my shoes.

Making sure I could rack my bike from both directions would have saved me 5-10 seconds. I suppose I could have biked with my socks on, but that would just mean dealing with my socks in T1 rather than T2.
Run
  • 2h 04m 11s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I really wanted to improve my run over my last 1/2 Iron. Last time around, I had a bunch of problems with cramping and ended up running it in 2:53.
I took off out of transition and hit that b*tch of a wood-chip trail. Blech. My calves were a little tight, but nothing was locking up. For the first few miles I was able to get my cycling legs converted over to my running legs. They didn't always want to cooperate, but at least I kept my splits at around 10:00/mile.
I grabbed a gel at mile 2, but had trouble getting it ripped open so I stowed it for later. At about mile 4 or 5 I grabbed a Marathon bar, but after considering it for a mile, I decided that solid food didn't sound that good and that I would stick to water and Heed from here on out. I handed the bar to a volunteer at the next mile marker.
During the middle of the run I felt GREAT. Like Tony the Tiger GRRReat. I got some good songs in my head and kept a good rhythm going. I managed to pull off splits of around 9:00 between miles 5 and 10. During this time it also started to sprinkle, which then proceeded to build to a full downpour. I didn't mind the rain at all. It kept things cool and concealed another *cough* 'release of ballast'.
At around mile 10, I could feel that I was running out of gas, but with only a few miles to go there wasn't a point in consuming more calories. I just had to gut it out. I knew I wasn't going to break 2 hours on the run, but didn't care too much. It as good just to feel like a real traithlete. Plus I knew at this point I was going to meet another mini-goal: run the whole 1/2 marathon. That's right - no walking, no nothin'. Yay!
That wood chip mofo was better on the way back down, but this time it was saturated and spongy. I stuck to the side of the trail where the ground was firmer.
After that it was only a couple hundred more yards to the finish line. I must have been in a good mood because the announcer said 'Here comes Eric Bergstrom...with a big grin on his face'.
I crossed with a run split of 2:04:11. That's a 49 minute PR for me. SWEET! My last (and only other) 1/2 Iron time was 6:34. Today I managed a 5:49. I'll take it.

The pacing all went according to plan. At this point, the only thing that will make my times faster is better conditioning. So, I guess I'll rest up for a few days and then start pounding pavement.
I'd like to do the Madison run leg in under 5 hours. So, hopefully a 2:04 today is a good sign.
Post race
Warm down:

Took in some fluids and got my things together. Then I hit the barbecue for a steak sandwich and some fruit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was essentially a practice run for Madison. I suppose I could have tweaked a few things and picked up another 10 or 15 minutes, but I really wanted to get a feel for what kind of pacing works for me and what kind of nutrition my stomach can handle.

Event comments:

A nicely run race - tons better than Square Lake. There were plentiful pit-stops and lots of volunteers. Well done.

Last updated: 2010-03-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:08 | 2112 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/33
Overall: 63/248
Performance: Average
1:43/100y
Suit: QR Ultra-John
Course: 1 counter-clockwise rectangle loop.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:59
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:04:55 | 56 miles | 18.17 mile/hr
Overall: 161/248
Avg: 143; Max: 167
Wind: Some
Course: Two ~23 mile loops, plus a 10-mile out-and-back.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 87
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:04:11 | 13.1 miles | 09m 29s  min/mile
Overall: 157/248
Performance: Good
Max: 161; Avg: 151 9:51; 10:08; 10:00; 9:33; 8:53; 9:06; 9:25; 8:55; 8:50; 9:16; 9:29; 9:50; 9:27; 1:27 (.18)
Course: An out-and-back on mostly paved trails, including a long cedar-chip trail hill to start the fun.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-13 1:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota
Subject: Liberty Triathlon - Half Ironman

2010-06-13 3:37 PM
in reply to: #2918544

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Liberty Triathlon - Half Ironman

It was nice meeting you!  Sounds like you had a great race and executed your goals.  I am sure that's a confidence builder.   Good luck in Madison!

2010-06-13 6:10 PM

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Nice work out there! And nice to "officially" meet you!!

"Dropping ballast".... nice. And way to have nice consistent run splits! That's tough to do!
2010-06-13 7:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
If Wisconsin is your "A" race this year, don't worry about the wetsuit and your ankles for that one.. the wetsuit strippers will have it off before you even have a chance to think!!!...  and congrats on your PR!!!

Edited by ball6135 2010-06-13 7:43 PM
2010-06-14 6:32 AM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
That's a huge PR!!  Congrats!  See you in Madison in a few short months
2010-06-14 8:11 PM
in reply to: #2919434

User image

Regular
Central MN
Fantastic run - huge improvement with the run. Glad you were able to "drop ballast" on two occasions - I need to learn how to do that!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Liberty Triathlon - Half Ironman Rss Feed