Tampa Races
93F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 36m 50s
Overall Rank = 252/875
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 43/75
Pre-race routine:

Left home at 4:15. Thought about stopping for a Slurpee to chug right before the race, but didn't pass anywhere to buy one after getting off the interstate. Traffic was horrible. Arrived at 6:00.
Event warmup:

Walked around a bit. Official temperature was 93. Heat index 110 from NWS figures. Bank thermometer on Westshore Dr. said 97. Thus, no warm-up necessary.
Run
  • 36m 50s
  • 3.68 miles
  • 10m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

HOT. I started close to the front than usual. It was nice to be among people who were running within the first 10 seconds, as opposed to walking for the first minute. Race was pretty good with the westerly breeze, until we turned east at the north end of the course...felt like a blast furnace. The rest of the race went pretty well, given this was my fourth day in a row running (usually don't go more than 2 or 3 without a rest day). Made it through the obstacles fast - was actually in a clear enough spot to hurdle the hurdle - and got through the singletrack with only a little bit of walking due to traffic. The hill repeats hurt worse than usual, but I managed to keep a steady pace and finished strong down the beach. Out-sprinted a few people from the water to the finish line.
What would you do differently?:

Hold the race in March or April.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a few cups of Gatorade, went to the food line. Hardly anybody there yet...it's nice to be getting faster. Chose the chili dog over the kabobs (I was in a hurry) and headed to my car. At that point, t-minus 12 hours to the Rap River Run 5k start.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mainly the heat. Tired legs certainly had some effect, but this will never be an A race for me.

I'd love to see another water station added, especially now that the course is even longer. I'm considering carrying a polar bottle of ice water for the next race.

Event comments:

Even though it isn't my best time (course conditions can have a huge influence here), this was by far the best I've done vs. the field in a Picnic Island race. 71st percentile overall, 52nd among men and 43rd in my age group. That's a long way from July 08, when that same set of numbers was 20/12/11. My new goal for July is to break 10-minute mile pace and finish in the top half of my age group (which should be good for about to 25% overall).

Last updated: 2010-03-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:36:50 | 03.68 miles | 10m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 43/75
Overall: 75/875
Performance: Good
Course: Same re-routed (new standard) course around the island. The buoy near the finish was quite a bit farther out than last time. Tide was about a foot lower.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes