Overall Rank = 762/1152
Age Group = 18-24
Age Group Rank = 24/36
Swim
  • 48m 20s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

I think the swim went the best of any of the three legs. Considering my swimming abilities currently this was just about the time I was shooting for. My goggles slipped a couple times and I had to stop to adjust them and I didn't do a very good job of drafting or handling the congestion at buoys.
What would you do differently?:

I just need to get more comfortable with swimming with other people. Drafting is something I need to work on and bi lateral breathing is a process I need to get down better.
Transition 1
  • 03m 55s
Comments:

Since it was a clean transition it wasn't as fast as it could have been. Plus the long run up the hill didn't really help. Wetsuit removal was great along with cap and goggles. Running with the bike and then hopping on and getting started was good as well.

I messed with my sunglasses to much, they were originally on the top of my helmet but came off when I took my helmet off. I then tried to put them back on the helmet and fumbled with that for a few seconds and finally put them on my face. I need to organize my bag a little better as well. Towel on top, to wipe off real quick. Dump out helmet and shoes and throw in wetsuit, then put on helmet shoes and go.
Bike
  • 3h 20m 2s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.80 mile/hr
Comments:

For how hard I have worked on the bike and how much I thought this was my strength the bike just kicked my butt. The winds just took everything right out of me and I had hardly anything left for the run. It seemed like every time that I thought I should be getting a tailwind and finally be done with struggling in the headwind it started blowing in my face again. Never really got away from it except for a few short stretches all the way to the finish.

The biggest thing that hurt me was my nutrition. I ate immediately after getting out of the water. I was still a little nauseas from the swim and the food I ate was awful plus I ate it just before a tough uphill section! Never again will I eat "chocolate" flavored power bars. I was so stupid I ate a bar I hadn't tried before and a drink that I hadn't used before either. I was just scared that I wouldn't have enough calories so I got stuff and just chugged it down without practicing it before the race and it killed the rest of my day. So next time just be smart with what I eat.
Transition 2
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

I was just so wasted from the ride I wasn't terribly motivated to push myself in T2. I wasn't careful and as precise as I should have been. Again the clean transition through me off as I fumbled with what stuff I should pull out and put in the bag. I also somehow shredded my elastics when I cinched up my shoes. Luckily it held, but it could have been an even tougher 1/2 marathon if I hadn't lucked out with it holding.

Hustle off the bike, and be more precise with taking stuff out and putting stuff in the bag. Just be calm and don't rush and things will actually go faster. Start panicking and you are bound to screw something up and slow yourself down
Run
  • 2h 31m 5s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

My stomach was still rebelling against me. Was burping and cramping pretty much the whole way. Barfed about mile 7 and had a few unpleasant moments in a port a potty around mile 10. My stomach finally settled down a bit and I was able to run somewhat consistently the last 3 miles until my legs started cramping up really bad with only a mile or so to go. Limped across the line finally finished.

More Vaseline or lubricant application for my feet, armpits, nipples, and inner thighs. I got kind of wet cooling myself off from the bike and started chafing as the run progressed.
Post race
Warm down:

I was pretty much dead, a post race massage and a few mouthfulls of powerbar drink and pizza was about all I could manage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mainly nutrition I think and also just my inexperience with the distance.

Event comments:

It was an awesome race and very well done. The only thing that limited my experience was my performance. I am not sure how I feel about the late afternoon start though, I think those winds started picking up as the day wore on and we ended up riding through the hottest part of the day. But I guess thats part of the challenge and Ironman and Boise did an amazing job with this race.

Last updated: 2010-05-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:48:20 | 2112 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 32/36
Overall: 1027/1152
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3 Fullsuit
Course: Clockwise single loop triangular course
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:55
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:20:02 | 56 miles | 16.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/36
Overall: 694/1152
Performance: Bad
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Not to bad out and back with only a couple tough climbs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 02:24
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:31:05 | 13.1 miles | 11m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/36
Overall: 855/1152
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat two loop course of the Boise greenbelt. Plenty of aid stations and nice crowd support! The toughest part was running by the finish line and then having to go out for that second lap, quite demoralizing.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-06-13 11:42 PM

User image

Regular
Carmichael
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Boise

2010-06-15 7:57 AM
in reply to: #2919292

User image

Elite
Boise
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Boise
Nice job Matt. It was definitely hot and windy out there. I agree as well that they need to move the start time back to normal. Last year the weather was fine until about 2:30 and then the downpour came. They could avoid this kind of stuff if they started at the same time as every other ironman.
2010-06-17 5:09 PM
in reply to: #2919292

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Boise

Nice report. And don't sweat your performance. I rode 30 miles that morning in that wind and it about destroyed me. It was a tough day for anyone that was riding let alone doing a HIM. I did the Boise half last year and although the rain sucked I would take it over wind like that anyday. You did great considering the conditions!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Boise Rss Feed