United States
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 38m 21s
Overall Rank = 30/53/307/33
Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 1/21
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early - ven before alarm. Laied around for awhile then hopped up and got ready. i jogged tot he EL Osthoff. i went around transition and even went inside to check the weather on their computer - looks clear for the day. Then I jogged back, had a Pop Tart and 4 endurolytes - No pickle juice today - they were left in the fridge. More to come on that one.

Eric (from TGG) got up and we got things together We even rode a bit to check the rides. All is ready. We hit transition about 5:45 and were set up by 6:15. I rolled home to see if Jeanne was up - shes up, and surprisingly so were my boys and Sandy and travis. WOW. This is perfect. I had 2 more Endurolytes and some HEED to get ready.

Once i hit the can and went back I had some time to drop off last items and hit water. I wanted to swim for 20 minutes, but I had goggle leakage which I did figure out in the end. And then they called us out of the water.
Event warmup:

While standing around, I wet my suit about 12x. Sorry to everyone who stood around me - i had no other option. But I kept warm.
Swim
  • 25m 40s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

With past lessons in mind, I entered the water, with a power walk, not a run. Iknow if I blow my heart up I go no where fast. So I dove in half way out to the first buoy - the goggles stayed sealed. Good after the warm up swim debacle. I stood up and walked a few steps and dove again - still a good seal. I did not want to push my luck on the goggles at this point so I just swam it from there. I kept steady and hit the first buoy, hit the second green buoy and fell into line with everyone on the long line going out. I enetered the water with Aron Jarr and saw hima few times on the way out. SO I knew my pace was going well.

I even was able to draft for a while heading out. I caught a few sets of feet to help pull me thru the water. I was relatively straight, but was pulling left a bit the whole time. The first half went well, I hit the turn buoy about 13 minutes going out. The problem was the guy who was at the buoy was holding onto it and not going anywhere - well - under I go. It was either pummel him or slide under. I dove under and went on my way.

The whole way back I felt good on my pulls, but I felt myself going left more, but I stayed along the buoy line - This was good for staying true to the route going out, but coming home I should have been more to the right. I did not really know this until I was drifting toward the short yellow buoy because I could not see any other buoy to guide me home. So I pulled up my head from the water - so i could hear and see. YEP - off o the left TOO far and had to angle back in to the finish.

I got into the finish area, I probably wasted about 20-30 seconds today bc of my aim. I also pushed more coming in to make up for this. But once shallow enough that i cannot stroke anymore, I stood up. Took a push off and a small cramp hit the calf - no I thinking I needed that pickle juice. SO I loosened up the suit, let a little water in and stripped him down to the waist. I just walked out of the water so not to cramp.
What would you do differently?:

Better Aim! Overall a good swim, but I know I could have done better.
Transition 1
  • 03m 23s
Comments:

This is a LONG transition. I ran out of the water and felt a littel cramp twinge again, so I walked a few steps and then dropped in the grass to strip the wetsuit. I know it comes off easier if done earlier. Pop Pop it was off and I ran up the hill and around the sprint transition, around the pond, over the hills and thru the woods to grandmother house and sstill not quite to my bike.

Once I was there, I found my bike quickly, moved quickly, but did have some slower moments with putting on the Garmin and getting the knee bands on - I was frantic for a second but thought quickly, the BIKE is what I want, a few extra seconds will not kill me.

Nothing - for the distance I had to run, the amount of things I need, it went well. Also, I was able to turn to the transition, even with the threat of cramps.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 56s
  • 27.96 miles
  • 22.39 mile/hr
Comments:

I crossed the timing pad and ran past 2 people to get past them immediately as they mounted. I was passed by them as I was starting to roll. No worries, I pushed it into town then slid the feet into the shoes and started my pursuit - of everyone.

At first I was catching people in groups. Three and four at a time. Then I would catch a couple or a solo. Then a big group further out. But by about mile 10, it was pretty spaced out. I passed a hundred or so to this point. I also never got passed today by anyone. The ride felt good. I just kept pushing along. I noticed I was in the 21.7 mph range coming into the western straight into the hill at the far corner of the course. SO I held steady in the straight away leading up to it. And at the right moment - click click, mashand spin, click, spin, spin, click I blew up the hill. I also blew past 3 guys like they were not even there. I think it crushed their souls a bit, but it probably made them go harder also. At the top I let out a little cheer - hard to do with a HR around 190. I also noticed I never got past the middle of my rear cassette (11-23) while going to the crest. WOW. I then clicked into a better gear for the down hill, and just let him take me for about 10 sec. (Note: I passed most people on the hills - On the leg out, I actually caught and passed a guy on Cty MM farily quickly - while drinking going up - his face was shocked.)

At the halfway point I was averaging about 21.8mph - I got there around 38 minutes. So by the calculation, I returned in 37 minutes and went almost 23 mph on the return. I did not see many people on the way back. I would just catch one here and there. But it was nice to have them. It gave me ittle goals - catch 'em. This helped for a rather uneventful return. I came blowing into town. I flew down Cty J over 30 mph coming into the last turn. I did not want to slow down so I did my normal swooping turn and actually went to eh left of the cones and almost took myself out on 2 of them. I guess thats what I get for cornering at 20+ I took my feet out of the shoes early and just spun the cranks fast to loosen the legs for the run.

The corners were tought to take. The cones that were set out actually made me brake a few times because they were a bit tight and sharp. Good thing there were alot of straight aways. Those turns were upsetting.

BUT, I did take a water bottle for drinking and dumping on my body while racing - It really helped keep me cool thru the bike. I know it was only 60's/70's but I have a hot engine.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

I rolled to the dismount line and the legs were spent - I wanted to leave it all out there for the bike - I had a goal - top 10 (Done!)

But I could not lift my leg over the bike so I pulled it out from under myself. That drew a few oooohs and aaaahhs. I made my way into the racks and had to avoid 2 guys standing in my way. Racked fast, changed fast, and took teh long run to grandmas again. I hit the course and the cramps began (Pickle Pixie Juice where are you?)

Pickle Juice for breakfast!
Run
  • 52m 58s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew the run was going to be brutal. I left so much on the bike and because of the early cramps, I knew this would be a suffer fest. i even took 8 endurolytes on the bike to help out. Well, I assume it did, but not 100%. I had to walk it out a bit after a quarter mile. I never had a walk section on this run take more than 15s, but with about 7 of them, that does add up. Typically, i took them going up steeper hills or turns.

I maintained a good pace throughout the run, for what I had left. It was not my fastest splits, but In order to try to achieve my lofty goal of sub 2:30 I knew I had to try. So I kept pushing. At mile 2.5, I knew the A goal was gone. I was a hurting unit, I was being passed here and there. But, I did not see any Clydes pass me on the way out. I also tracked 3 of them while I was returning - 3 minutes from the turn to 4 mins - thus I was ahead by 6-8 mins. So I figured they would need to run about 7:30 or under to catch me if I do not explode and keep it in the 8:35-40 range to the top of Hammann hill an dthen I could let loose. Each of those great cramps worried me that one may be my last. But I kept the smae hydration plan out here, dump a cup, drink a cup. My problem was I did not drink enough and spilled at least half on me every time. Good thing I brought a bottle of my own - it was HEED and I forgot it was until I took the first drink. What a relief.

At Hammann Hill I took the Summit hill up and had the guys there just toss the water on me. Ahhhh. Then I walked that corner. Jogged to the next corner, walked around it and ran up 95% of the hill. I walked about 15 s here and tehn knew it was about 1.5 iles to go. I just let the hill take me down. At the bottom I tried to keep my pace strong. In the home stretch I tried to pick up the pace, I heard the cheers but did not have anything left but momentum. Done!

Maybe at another race I will try to hold back on the bike to have some extra for the run, but why. I cannot run and I did finish in the top 33% for the run overall. I did win by 6 minutes in my division. I was 30th of 307 overall. It was a good day and my plan worked. Have a solid swim, Destroy myself on the bike, and take whats left to get home
Post race
Warm down:

I always keep walking past the timing chip removers. Again this time. I walked a bit, found my family, took a picture, and took back the chip. I grabbed my gear relatively quickly because I was getting cold after dousing myself all day with water and being soaked in a cloudy, slightly windy area. At our place I showered and went back tothe race to Hang out at the GearGrinder tent. Met a few new faces, saw some old. It was fun to catch up with people.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running! lack of Pickle Juice. Running Hills.

Event comments:

I really like the EL race. He actually got he race started on time. It is a tough course that is well marked and patrolled. It was kept safe and efficient. Unfortunately, they had to weed thru the results and that postponed the celebration til 2 pm. I would have liked to have been home by then, BUT I wil take a well run race with some delays over a crappy one that is rushed.

Last updated: 2010-02-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:40 | 1640 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/21
Overall: 70/307/33
Performance: Average
Suit: blueSeventy helix
Course: out and back with a hitch
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:23
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:14:56 | 27.96 miles | 22.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/21
Overall: 9/307/33
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back with 2 loops
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:58 | 06.21 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/21
Overall: 102/307/33
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back with the Hammmann hill loop - Rolling does it no justice
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-06-14 6:45 AM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Subject: Elkhart Lake Triathlon

2010-06-14 7:25 AM
in reply to: #2919467

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Subject: RE: Elkhart Lake Triathlon
Nice Work Chris.  You are a biking machine!  Sounds like you made some good decisions while racing, that is always a plus.  

I feel your pain on the running.  Nothing worse than kicking a$$ in the swim and the bike and then getting passed by guys running 6's on the run.  Like you said...just have to ride that much harder to get a bigger lead.

2010-06-14 7:52 AM

User image

New user
Great Job once again!  You killed it on the bike...
2010-06-15 8:16 PM

User image

Veteran

Way to kick it out there big man.  Congrats on the hardware....I expect I nice picture in this months newsletter.

2010-06-17 5:33 AM

User image

Expert
London, UK

Great racing Donkey! You really crushed that bike leg. I feel sorry for those people you destroyed on the hills.... okay not really.

Well done.

2010-06-20 7:55 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, WI
Great race Chris!

2010-06-20 12:12 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Awesome race, Chris. You've put in a ton of hard work over the last few seasons and it's obviously paying off. Congrats!
2010-06-20 1:51 PM

User image

Expert
Kewaunee, WI
Nice job Chris. Wish I would have seen you before or after the race!!
2010-06-21 9:14 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
HOly crap! I laughed out loud when I read about the wetting the wetsuit! Great race report.
And you made it sound like you were going to bomb it but DANG! You are one fast dude! Swim, Bike, and RUN...you flew! Nice job!  
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Elkhart Lake Triathlon Rss Feed