General Discussion Race Reports! » Robert J. Aaron Memorial Mighty Montauk Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Robert J. Aaron Memorial Mighty Montauk Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Montauk, New York
United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 28m 26s
Overall Rank = 163/580
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 27/85
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5am had two mini bagels with peanut butter. Did some strecthing and rode my bike over to the start at about 6am. Set up my transition and BS'd with a fewof my friends that were doing the race.
Event warmup:

Walked over to the start as the elite men were getting ready to go. Swam for about five minutes just to get used to the water, which was quite warm.
Swim
  • 32m 12s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started off in the second row and felt pretty good when the horn blew to start the wave. I got behind a few people and was able to draft almost the whole first half of the course. Caught up to some people in the wave before mine. Rounded the bouy without any problems and headed back in. At every race the last two bouys always seem the farthest away. The water was calm and clear and it made for a good swim.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, maybe push a little harder during the swim. I was hoping to complete the swim in 30 minutes or less but I am happy with my time.
Transition 1
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

Came out of the water and saw my family cheering me on which is always a big plus. Before the race I debated putting my shoes on the bike but having never really practiced I decided against it.

Practice with shoes clipped in.
Bike
  • 1h 05m
  • 22 miles
  • 20.31 mile/hr
Comments:

I haven't trained as much as I should on the bike so I was a little concerned about how I would do. I kept it in the big gear for most of the course and pushed hard figuring whatever happens on the run happens. I feel that I was able to handle the hills and I didn't get passed by as many people as I usually do on the bike, which is my weakest of the three disciplines. The scenery on the course is amazing, I felt greta great heading into transition.

I will write the same thing I have put for every race report. I need to ride more lots more.
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

This I practiced and it paid off.

Nothing 46th overall
Run
  • 47m 41s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt great coming out of transition and just beagn to focus on the people in front of me and picked them off one by one. My friends had told me about the hills. The first two mile I hit at 15 minute and felt good. i saw my family again as they were at our hotel which the run went right passed. At mile 3 you start to head down the hills, I still felt strong and started running with a guy we chatted and it sort of distracted me from the pain. Same for mile 4 into 5. Once I hit mile five and it leveled off, I had alot left in the tank and pulled away. I passed a ton of people on the run and ended strong.

Nothing, this course was tough yet very enjoyable.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with the family had some gatorade and went back to the hotel. We drove out ot th lighthouse with the kids and walked to the top.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I performed well onlimited training.

Event comments:

Great race, I have been wanting to do this for a couple of years and I was finally able to do it. The course is beautiful and challenging. I will hopefully be able to do race this one again and again.

Last updated: 2010-04-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:12 | 1760 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/85
Overall: 258/580
Performance: Average
Suit: XTerra Full
Course: Out and back keeping the bouys onyour right. There were alot of bouys so it made sighting pretty easy.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:05:00 | 22 miles | 20.31 mile/hr
Overall: 282/580
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Exit transition go through the marina in Montauk up to Route 27. Ride up to Montauk Point past the Light House back through a resdential area and into transition. A few moderate climbs but nothing major.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:47:41 | 06.21 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Overall: 89/580
Performance: Good
Course: The first 3 miles are flat then you go into two blocks that seem to just keep going down. The problem is you get to see the look of joy on everyones face as they are heading up the hill. That is for miles 4 and 5, once you hit mile 5 it is basically all downhill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-06-14 8:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Robert J. Aaron Memorial Mighty Montauk Triathlon

2010-06-15 1:18 PM
in reply to: #2919786

User image

Subject: RE: Robert J. Aaron Memorial Mighty Montauk Triathlon

Holy Cow Ralph, despite limited training this year (especially on the Bike) you pulled out a decent Swim/Bike/Run which made for an overall great time, and decent AG placing.  Really Nice Job.  You are naturally talented.  If you get a chance to train consistently next year, I'm convinced you'd crack the top 10 in your AG.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Robert J. Aaron Memorial Mighty Montauk Triathlon Rss Feed