TC Tri Productions, LLC
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 47m 56s
Overall Rank = 17/514
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/52
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at about 4am as I had about a 45 minute drive to Redondo Beach. I took a shower and had breakfast, cereal and a banana with some OJ...didn't eat it all as I wasn't that hungry and it was pretty early. Girlfriend showed up at 5am and we headed down to the race. Transition setup was a breeze and I was ready to go.
Event warmup:

I wanted to try and get a ride in but the racks where filling up fast so I decided to leave my bike and go for a short run. I ran about 1/2 mile up and back at a pretty good clip just to get the blood flowing. After that I headed back to Transition and put on my wetsuit. Walked down to the beach and went for a quick swim out to the buoy and back...felt good. I was ready for the start.
Swim
  • 13m 40s
  • 879 yards
  • 01m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was not happy with my swim time. I think I needed to warm up more on the swim. This seems to be a common thing with me that I am not taking the time to warm up. I just get that initial shock that goes away after a little while. I felt I could have swam a better time but at the start I just went out a little too fast. I settled in about halfway and started to pick up the pace.
What would you do differently?:

Warm up more. Don't be afraid to blow your wade in warm up and go out there and swim a few hundred yards...not just a hundred. This will probably get rid of that initial fatigue I feel.
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

There was a LONG run to Transition...I would say close to 300-400 yards. I removed my cap and goggles perfectly and placed them in the sleeve of my wetsuit...then they fell out right before the timing mat. Probably cost me 5-10 seconds. After the long run I absolutely ruled T1. The only thing I grabbed was my helmet and I was gone. Fantastic Job here.

Nothing
Bike
  • 17m 12s
  • 6 miles
  • 20.93 mile/hr
Comments:

I was only passed by one person...well, three but I passed the other two back. Everything went great on the bike, I just need more power. That's ok though...that will come with time. Handling skills really helped me pass a few people. Funny how much people slow down when the course gets technical.

Nothing...just need more time in the saddle.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

Another awesome transition. I purposely got my transitions down to nothing for this short race as I knew it would be important. Helmet off, shoes on...adios. Had one of the best transition times overall.

Nothing
Run
  • 13m 46s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Took off on the run and legs felt wobbly. I expected that though because the short bike course was pretty much an all out. I was really happy with the run time. I was not passed by anyone on the run and caught 3-4 people. I'm making great progress on my running and am at the point where I need to start experimenting with faster paces. I'm just not used to my body being able to handle running this fast...so I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to hold a pace to the end. This pace was right on. I didn't use a Garmin for this run as the plan was to just pin it since the race was so short.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. Just got something to drink and relaxed. Headed to transition and picked up my gear and headed to the car. Loaded up and then went back to the Expo to get my medal for 3rd.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just need more training. Still very new to all this.

Event comments:

This race is soooo well run and was so much fun to be a part of. Volunteers were literally everywhere helping out making sure you knew EXACTLY where to go. I had a great time and will definitely be back next year to hopefully move up two spots on the podium!

Last updated: 2010-04-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:40 | 879 yards | 01m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/52
Overall: 19/514
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Wetsuit
Course: Rectangular course...about 150 yards to first buoy and then up the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:17:12 | 06 miles | 20.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/52
Overall: 20/514
Wind: None
Course: 2 loop course with some slight hills and one short but steep sucker you had to ascend twice. Some technical sections and turns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:13:46 | 02 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/52
Overall: 46/514
Course: Through the pier and parking lots...kind of a funny course, a MILLION turns but they had a volunteer at every turn which made it easy to follow. Steep hill at the end...that was fun...lol
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-06-14 9:59 AM

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
Subject: Redondo Beach Triathlon

2010-06-14 11:41 AM
in reply to: #2920032

User image

Subject: RE: Redondo Beach Triathlon
Well done, very fast race.  Congrats!
2010-06-22 6:02 PM
in reply to: #2920032

User image

Orange, CA
Subject: RE: Redondo Beach Triathlon
Awesome race! I agree with you on the run to T1. That was ridiculous and the uphill did not help matters either. Congrats on the podium spot.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Redondo Beach Triathlon Rss Feed