City of Broomfield
46F / 8C
Precipitation
Total Time = 49m 3s
Overall Rank = 2/437
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/41
Pre-race routine:

firstly I want to say that I am thankful to have gotten myself to a point where I was able to 'compete' in this event. I haven't competed in anything since this race last year. I ended my season early last year and took a good amount of 'time off,' gained a good amount of weight, and had trouble taking it off. This year I have not had the time/structure to put into training as I would have liked. Howver, in the past couple weeks I really felt like I'm back into shape.
Many thanks to Coach Shane at Scotia helping me get back to form.

also of note; I woke up to GI distress on race day. this happens like once every other year. I had loose stools twice before race start, but thankfully no cramps or anything during the race. Strange.

Oh, and this race is not chipped so I don't have all my times
Event warmup:

I had wanted to get in a very solid bike warmup, but it was raining pretty good all the way up to near race start. I didn't even ride to the venue as I usually do so I could stay dry and have my car handy to keep myself and gear dry.
I did ~20min of running with a few pickups starting ~6:45 then did ~300 swimming with the last few 25s hard.
Swim
  • 04m 18s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started 3rd behind Carter and Paul(?) who were very confident in ~3:45. My goal was to go right off Paul's feet and hang on - setting me up very well to get out on the bike course at or near 1st. Two others going behind me were confident with their 4:00 targets.
They were sending us off every 5s. I jumped early to try to tuck in close to P. Right away, he was out in front and continued to put a gap on me. I was struggling with my turns. The guy behind me was right on my feet and I came close to bumping him at nearly every turn. My arms felt like trash nearly from the start and I never felt that strong or in a groove. ~250m I got tapped on the feet and assumed I was being asked for a pass. I grabbed the next wall and stood up to allow the pass and it turned out this likely wasn't needed. I waited for the 4th in our lane to go by then jumped in before the 5th (kinda tight, but I wasn't going to stand any longer).
What would you do differently?:

not grab the wall for a pass unless I absolutely know I'm being tapped

better swim fitness. swim has been lacking, relatively, this year

also a comment: felt great in the pool yesterday, but the arms feeling a bit tired on the warmup this morning. This could be tied to the 1st statement above
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

awesome transition!
I est. the time to be ~ 1:20. I should jog this sometime with a watch just to get a benchmark for how fast it can be
not a big crowd in the run out to the bike as in past year. I jumped out of the pool and ran steadily to my bike visualizing my tasks at hand. I noticed RG's bike still next to mine (good sign as he likely my closest competitor on this day). I just needed to put on my helmet and glasses and I was off running. didn't spend but a few seconds stationary. RG did show up about the same time as I did and we both ran out of transition together. I had a good mount and the moderate downhill for the 1st quarter mile helps with keeping speed and getting the shoes on.
I will also note that my glasses were wet and foggy until I got up to speed, which was a bit dangerous I suppose, but managed fine.

nothing
Bike
  • 31m 10s
  • 11 miles
  • 21.18 mile/hr
Comments:

like last year, I got into my shoes and just hammered it "biking scared." I passed two riders going up Main and then heard from a Volunteer that I was leading. I assume I had riders close behind and just kept hammering it. Upon getting up the hill my HR was screaming and my legs felt heavy. I was feeling pretty poorly mentally in a low spot. I ran the downhill strongly and was still leading going into lap 2; this and the crowd and getting my HR back down helped me feel rejuvinated.
RG had caught up to me at the beginning of lap 2 but I put the gap back into him going back up the hill (I didn't know this at the time because I only turned to look back but twice during the bike - he told me at the end of the race).

I didn't see anyone behind me when I took the last turn with ~ 1/4mi left before T2 so I rode the downhill at good speed, but easy. Took the time to get my feet out on my shoes and get the hr in check before my dismount.

Another note: I couldn't hear anything on this ride due to having water in my ears and with the aero helmet. I only made out a few comments from the Vol's and crowd. I usually can guage my placement by listening to if/when they chear on the next people - I had none of that intel on this ride.

more mental toughness.
this is >1m slower than last year. yes, it was raining and I didn't have a solid warmup, but the winds, being from the north were more favorable given the hills on this course. I should have been at or better than last year, in my view
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

very good transition. couldn't have gone much better, although I didn't get off the bike very gracefully, but I did keep it upright and moving forward.
despite thinking RG was a handful of seconds back, I was very suprised to see him show up as I was putting my shoes on......

better dismount is all
Run
  • 11m 40s
  • 2 miles
  • 05m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

ran out of transition quickly, but not overly aggressive. my feet, due to the numbness, felt like bricks. it felt like I was running barefoot. This was somewhat humorous actually. Didn't bother me once I got into the run. After ~1/4mi I felt really comfortable. I was surprised that RG didn't pass me and really didn't care if he did because I felt good and confident that I could hang with him until a kick, if needed.
I just plod'd along feeling fairly comfortable and I guess I assumed, with less than 1mi to go, that I had the race since I felt good. RG caught me just as we exited the neigborhood and kept stride for stride with me for a bit. on the downhill he increased his stride and put 10yrs in me. I didn't panic and I waited for the uphill then kicked it in, caught him with ~50yrs to go and initiated a pass that I thought was strong. I had the step on him at the last 90deg turn before going into the finishing straight (which is only ~15yrs long; awkward). He responded aggressively- took back the inside step, and finished in full sprint into the remainder of the shoot. I had little chance of getting in front of him at that point (aside from tackling him) so I kept pace and followed him in. Defeated

saved too much for end. poorly decision making
Post race
Event comments:

great "backyard" race for the money. it is wonderful to do a race knowing podium is attainable - a very good motivator to show up ready to compete on race day

Last updated: 2010-06-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:18 | 300 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/41
Overall: 0/437
Performance: Below average
4:18 was my time when I jumped out of the pool. I started 3rd so my swim time was actually ~4:10
Suit:
Course: pool swim. Heat 1. Lane 4. 5 of us
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:31:10 | 11 miles | 21.18 mile/hr
Performance: Average
garmin shows 21.7mph ave (22.0mph if I strip out the transitions). 11.45mi. 174ave hr, 186 max. 32.50 mph max this is an interesting comparison: lap 1: 21.8mph, 178/186 lap 2: 21.9mph, 171/179 likely the wind was stronger on the 2nd lap.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:11:40 | 02 miles | 05m 50s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
no garmin. left it on my bike. time is an estimate (likely within 10s)
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-06-14 10:46 PM

User image

Westminster, CO
Subject: Mini Ha Ha Triathlon

2010-06-15 7:57 AM
in reply to: #2921886

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: Mini Ha Ha Triathlon
Great race Jason!  Glad that you are getting back to race shape.  And big props for getting out there in the rain!  And that minute you lost from the bike time last year.  Definately attribute that to wet roads...you would have been faster in dry conditions.  Congrats on the 2nd place finish!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mini Ha Ha Triathlon Rss Feed