GA Multi-Sports
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 49m 45s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 18/34
Pre-race routine:

I knew it was going to be hot and humid. I started hydrating the day before to make sure I showed up topped off. I got up at 4 AM, bagel and a little coffee, and drove down to West Point. It is a bit of a long drive at over 90 minutes, but not terrible.
Event warmup:

Setup transition and talked with Brian. They announced that the water was 89 degrees. 89? Really? Not a good oman for the day. I did an extra long swim warm up. My shoulders were a little stiff and knew they needed some easy swimming to get going.
Swim
  • 26m 55s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt really good at the start and up the first straight leg. I passed some people and really had a good groove going. However, I went too wide which cost me some time. I really need to stay closer to the buoys because it is adding yards to the effort. I will work on that in the next race.

I worked on drafting. I picked a few people that I had problems passing. I would drift back to their hip and sit. It was great to get a free ride for a period of time. On the last turn home, I hooked up with a guy and we yo-yoed back and forth all the way.

New goggles! Keyanna from Aqua Sphere were excellent. I love them.

Overall, I felt like it was a good swim, but the time was much slower than I thought. 5th in AG is a good marker. I did hear people with Garmins indicate the course was long. I guess you look for excuses when you time is not what you wanted!
What would you do differently?:

Stay closer to the buoys. I think this is adding more time to the swim than I think. I am adding too much distance. Otherwise, I things went as planned.
Transition 1
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

8th fastest in AG. Coming out of the water, I felt slow. Went through the progression properly. I forgot rubber bans, so I had to run in the shoes up hill to the mount area. I know I left at least 20 seconds in T1. I am happy that I am holding my own in the transitions.

Move quicker and remember rubber bands.
Bike
  • 1h 16m 24s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.52 mile/hr
Comments:

I was determined to finally pace myself on the bike. Normally, I let it all hang out. I wanted to average north of 19.5, but not more than 20. Since my hamstrings were in a weak state, I knew I needed to save some for the run. This course can/should be really fast, but I stayed disciplined. In shape, this is a 21 MPH course for me.

At mile 5 my hamstring flicked to remind me to be careful. It relaxed and was not a problem the rest of the bike. I had a gel about 45 minutes into the bike and took two eCaps at 1 hour into the bike. I think the decision to take the eCaps saved me on the run. They did turn my stomach some.

I am going to leave this one alone. I could have gone faster, but the run would have been even more of a disaster. I had a pacing plan and stuck with it.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

3rd in AG. Not bad at all. I got out of my shoes before the line which was the right decision. I passed a bunch of people trying to run in cleats up the hill and trying not to slip going down the racks.

Once I hit my rack, again, I was slow in getting through the progression, but it was not terrible. I got slowed up putting the shoes on as the feet were wet and the foot did not go in smoothly.

Just need to move quicker. Not much else to do differently.
Run
  • 1h 04m 24s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

First two miles were at pace, then the first crossing of the dam. I could feel my body temp rising and slowing down at the same time. My hamstrings were tight and I was constantly thinking "if I push, they are going to let go on me". I had my Garmin for the run, so I could see my pace slipping at the miles went on. I can honestly say the fight left me at this point.

There was no talking on the course. It seemed like most people were in the zone dealing with the heat. I saw Darrel at his "bad" spot in the race coming the opposite direction. I yelled some encouragement and shuffled forward. I saw Fred at a rough point for him and encouraged him. I yelled to Brian, but he was in the zone and not looking around at all.

On the trip back across the dam, I could tell it was time to shut down. My head was thumping which is a sign of heat exhaustion. I was determined to not walk on the dam. Got the aid station, got 2 cups of water and walked for about 50 yards. I did the ironman shuffle to the line.

I did not expect much from this run. There is no excuse for this time, so I will not make one. I was happy, given the conditions, to get through with no cramping.

I had challenges coming into the race. I made decision to not go deep based on my condition. It certainly cost me on overall time, but it could have been a bad ending. I was happy that I listened to my body (for once).
Post race
Warm down:

I hit the soaker tent for about 15 minutes. I stumbled over to the ATC tent, talked with the crew and ate some food. I could not get myself back on even ground. I felt woozie and 100%. So, I hit the soaker tent again, headed over to transition to pack up. I was going to have lunch with a bunch of BT people, but I did not feel good and the thought of BBQ was turning my stomach.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat was a big factor. I do not do well when it is that hot.

My hamstrings were coming off stained status and had just settled down late last week. I had not worked out much from mid-May. I could feel the run form was just not there.

Event comments:

Ga MS generally does a good job. The soaker tent was a brilliant idea. The food was poor and sitting in the sun getting warm. I was a little disappointed but they did offer the basics.

The bike course is just asking to be crushed. With a flat run, it should be crushed.

The results posting was over 24 hours after the race. All the other races post same day. It is a minor knock, but I am putting it out there.

Last updated: 2010-04-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:55 | 1640 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/34
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: xterra speed suit
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 89F / 32C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:11
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:16:24 | 24.85 miles | 19.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/34
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:04:24 | 06.21 miles | 10m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/34
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-06-15 4:52 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: West Point Lake Triathlon

2010-06-15 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2922005

User image

Extreme Veteran
GA
Subject: RE: West Point Lake Triathlon
missed you again!  tough, tough day out there for everybody.  at least you were able to Ironman shuffle your way back in on the run.  I couldn't even manage that.  Nice swim split for you!  Especially since the consensus is that the course was long. Too bad we came out of the water sweating instead of feeling refreshed.  89 degree water?!  are you kidding me?
2010-06-15 8:57 AM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC

Hello

Good report and looks like a good race.

Dont we love living in the south during the summer?

Kevin

2010-06-15 9:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Good race on a hot day and not being 100%. I couldn't have imagined racing in that heat. Swimming is looking strong!
2010-06-15 10:04 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Living in the south is no joke for racers, sometimes..Way to boogie swim/bike, tho.

Can you believe someone broke two hours in that heat? Dang...
2010-06-15 11:34 AM
in reply to: #2922570

User image

Master
Good job listening to your hamstrings.  It was crazy hot so kudos for being able to shuffle it in.

2010-06-17 9:55 AM

User image

Smyrna
Nice race James!  Good to see you back competing. Sounds like you handled the race well, taking recent injuries into consideration.  Brutal heat on the run out there!

"I got up at 4 AM, beagle and a little coffee, and drove down to West Point."

Mmmm, delicious beagle!  I personally prefer cocker spaniel, but beagle's not bad!

Looking forward to catching up at more ATC workouts.  
2010-06-21 7:15 AM
in reply to: #2927669

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

"I got up at 4 AM, beagle and a little coffee, and drove down to West Point."

Mmmm, delicious beagle!  I personally prefer cocker spaniel, but beagle's not bad!

Dyslexia hard are work!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » West Point Lake Triathlon Rss Feed